ACC Bowl Action

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I hope some of the Alabama mystique will be damaged now. I thought Clemson looked like the better team both years, but this time they closed the deal. Out gained them by 150 yards and played better in the clutch.

Both teams took some cheap shots, but Bama took more. There was a serious helmet to helmet early on the big receiver from Clem which wasn't called.

I have to say, though, that Saban and the Alabama players were gracious after the game. I doubt their fans and the SEC worshippers are taking this as well.
The favorite Bammer punching bag right now is Jalen Hurts. The Bammers are so mad they sound like they wouldn't mind Jalen Hurts being Crucified.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I hope some of the Alabama mystique will be damaged now. I thought Clemson looked like the better team both years, but this time they closed the deal. Out gained them by 150 yards and played better in the clutch.

Both teams took some cheap shots, but Bama took more. There was a serious helmet to helmet early on the big receiver from Clem which wasn't called.

I have to say, though, that Saban and the Alabama players were gracious after the game. I doubt their fans and the SEC worshippers are taking this as well.

There were definitely a handful of plays that could have (probably should have) been called targeting. It was surprising, because it almost looked like they weren't going to let something like that have an impact on the game...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The favorite Bammer punching bag right now is Jalen Hurts. The Bammers are so mad they sound like they wouldn't mind Jalen Hurts being Crucified.
Hurts carried that offense (if that's what you call it). The entire O was unimaginative, uncreative, conservative, and bad. It's not Sark's fault. It was the same with Kiffin. Any good play that wasn't a defensive breakdown they had was the result of Hurts scrambling and doing something.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Hurts carried that offense (if that's what you call it). The entire O was unimaginative, uncreative, conservative, and bad. It's not Sark's fault. It was the same with Kiffin. Any good play that wasn't a defensive breakdancing they had was the result of Hurts scrambling and doing something.
The stupid Bammers were also talking about another quarterback being the starter in 2017. After all this if I were Jalen Hurts I would transfer.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hurts carried that offense (if that's what you call it). The entire O was unimaginative, uncreative, conservative, and bad. It's not Sark's fault. It was the same with Kiffin. Any good play that wasn't a defensive breakdancing they had was the result of Hurts scrambling and doing something.

You get a 'like' for noticing the defense breakdancing. I must've missed that play? :p

Seriously though, Lane Kiffin was probably grinning ear to ear watching that "offense" stagnate itself over and over. I mean, what was the "plan" there? Just keep runnin' stuff 'til somebody misses a tackle I guess?

Lane and that buff ref were the stars of the game. I mean, dude probably bench pressed the stadium pregame.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
You get a 'like' for noticing the defense breakdancing. I must've missed that play? :p

Seriously though, Lane Kiffin was probably grinning ear to ear watching that "offense" stagnate itself over and over. I mean, what was the "plan" there? Just keep runnin' stuff 'til somebody misses a tackle I guess?

Lane and that buff ref were the stars of the game. I mean, dude probably bench pressed the stadium pregame.
An Alabama player moonwalking for a touchdown would have been a sight.:ROFLMAO:

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the official ruling was that the receiver (a) wasn't "defenseless" and (b) it was not a hit with the crown of the helmet therefore, no targeting foul.

Sounds like BS to me. I thought helmet contact was a flag regardless.

Wasn't defenseless?! IIRC, he was sitting on the ground having been tackled by another defender. Maybe it wasn't the crown, but it was a violent shot on a guy on the ground. I dunno. Maybe the replay made it look worse than it looked live.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Autocorrect has gone downhill recently. But yes that has been their plan all year. Throw the ball away if someone isn't completely wide open. Maybe take a deep shot so if it's picked, it's a punt. No throws over the middle. Hope someone misses a tackle on a screen or someone fills the wrong lane on an off tackle run.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wasn't defenseless?! IIRC, he was sitting on the ground having been tackled by another defender. Maybe it wasn't the crown, but it was a violent shot on a guy on the ground. I dunno. Maybe the replay made it look worse than it looked live.

That raises a good question. I'm speaking about the play where the receiver caught the ball, was standing in the grasp and spun into a headshot from the Bama safety. I thought that was targeting but they said he wasn't defenseless. I vaguely recall seeing a player get hit while on the ground. Are we talking about 2 different plays? I'm thinking so.

Autocorrect has gone downhill recently. But yes that has been their plan all year. Throw the ball away if someone isn't completely wide open. Maybe take a deep shot so if it's picked, it's a punt. No throws over the middle. Hope someone misses a tackle on a screen or someone fills the wrong lane on an off tackle run.

That was their "offense" all year so I wonder why folks were so enamored with the job Kiffin was doing. It was literally just as you described.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That raises a good question. I'm speaking about the play where the receiver caught the ball, was standing in the grasp and spun into a headshot from the Bama safety. I thought that was targeting but they said he wasn't defenseless. I vaguely recall seeing a player get hit while on the ground. Are we talking about 2 different plays? I'm thinking so.

Yes, the first play was the defensive end (Allen, I think) putting a clothesline tackle on D. Watsons head/neck while he was going down. If I remember correctly, it was on the shovel pass play. Second was the receiver getting clocked.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

When Mike DuBose was not doing well at Alabama, fans in Opp, Ala., hung and burned his effigy. At his parents' house. If I am not mistaken, Swinney was a GA on that staff or such. Now, that is serious.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Great pub for the ACC.

ESPN: Dabo Swinney declares ACC 'best conference in college football'
"I knew. I mean, I watch on tape, I watched all the Big Ten film and all that stuff. This is the best conference in college football. It's the deepest, it's the most competitive. You look at the head-to-head records against the SEC. ... You don't want to play a team from this conference. You just don't. I don't care; name one. That's why we're ready. That's why we're ready to go play Oklahoma two years in a row. That's why we're ready to go play Ohio State two out of the last four years. We're ready, because of what we see week in and week out in this conference."

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
RULES

Targeting and Initiating Contact With the Crown of the Helmet (Rule 9-1-3)

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 2-27-14)

Note: Beginning in 2013, ejection from the game is a part of the penalty for violation of both Rule 9-1-3 and Rule 9-1-4.

KEY ELEMENTS

Target—to take aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with an apparent intent that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball.

Crown of the Helmet—the top portion of the helmet.

Contact to the head or neck area—not only with the helmet, but also with the forearm, fist, elbow, or shoulder—these can all lead to a foul.

Look at the last definition.