ACC Baseball Tournament

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It really looks like the prime time slots went to the North Carolina schools. IMO this shouldn't even be a consideration, but if memory serves it is that way every year.
The "primetime" slots are a ticket sales thing & no doubt NCST & UNC are prioritized there. I don't think (my opinion) prime scheduling slots and primetime (night) games are the same thing.

Also... I'm pretty sure the #1 overall seed gets choice of the days they wish to play (Wed-Fri). So UNC wanted Thurs & Fri. I don't believe they choose the times. The ACC does that & for gate reasons UNC & NCST will get priority. It's not even close that they draw the most fans.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Cam Hill would get the ball if I could choose
More I think about it, I agree with this. He was lights out for 3 innings against FSU and only threw about 50 pitches or so to come back on 3 days rest. Just be ready to pull the plug quickly with any signs of trouble. Should be able to throw 5-6 guys out there Tuesday as needed. Not much to save people for even with a win with just 2 games and then 2 days off if you win both.

I would definitely save Finateri for UVA, both based on how he pitched and to make it closer to full rest for him. I think I move Jones to bullpen for the first 2 games. Not sure if I make him the "closer" per se, but would try to ride him and King if we get a lead in the last few innings of either game.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
More I think about it, I agree with this. He was lights out for 3 innings against FSU and only threw about 50 pitches or so to come back on 3 days rest. Just be ready to pull the plug quickly with any signs of trouble. Should be able to throw 5-6 guys out there Tuesday as needed. Not much to save people for even with a win with just 2 games and then 2 days off if you win both.

I would definitely save Finateri for UVA, both based on how he pitched and to make it closer to full rest for him. I think I move Jones to bullpen for the first 2 games. Not sure if I make him the "closer" per se, but would try to ride him and King if we get a lead in the last few innings of either game.
I agree with all of this but would not throw Jones or King over 1-2 innings each, preferably 1 each.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would save Jones for UVA or semis depending on how Fin pitches. Here's my list for FSU: Hill (hopefully 3 innings), King, Busse, Brown, Stanford, Thomas. Barfield vs. a lefty or 2.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with all of this but would not throw Jones or King over 1-2 innings each, preferably 1 each.
I think we will see Thomas in relief before Jones. Yeah I know he had some location issues his last time out but his stuff is so nasty if he is on he is nearly unhittable. We have seen that from him more often than not this season. King scares me because of his propensity this year to give up the long ball. I would prefer to see him start an inning in relief as opposed to coming in with men on base. I also wonder if we might see more of Stanford after his last showing. Bringing him in with his heat after someone like Thomas or even Jones with all their breaking stuff would have to be a tough adjustment for hitters. But ultimately just throw strikes guys.

Looking back on the series with FSU the consensus was that their pitching was far superior to ours. Looking at the stats we were pretty even so that was good to see. The biggest difference in the results came from the offensive side where we were just not able to get the timely hits like they did until the last game. But the pitching stats show this:
1. our staff gave up 33 hits for the series while FSU gave up 32
2. both teams walked 17 batters
3. we struck out 21 of their hitters while they struck out 20 of ours
So as you can see pretty even across the board. Also keep in mind we got more hits against their ace Arnold than any team all season. And I think we may have also struck out the fewest times of any team just 6 times.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU will go with Conner Whitaker on the mound against us today. This is his first time pitching since getting injured back in the first week of April against BC. He looks like a guy who throws strikes with only 9 walks against 38 K's. But he also has a tendency to give up the long ball. His ERA is 5.29 with a WHIP of 1.29. The stats show he has pitched in 10 games before getting hurt with 7 starts and a 4-0 record. Let's hope our caveman bats are hot today and we get off to a great start.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU will go with Conner Whitaker on the mound against us today. This is his first time pitching since getting injured back in the first week of April against BC. He looks like a guy who throws strikes with only 9 walks against 38 K's. But he also has a tendency to give up the long ball. His ERA is 5.29 with a WHIP of 1.29. The stats show he has pitched in 10 games before getting hurt with 7 starts and a 4-0 record. Let's hope our caveman bats are hot today and we get off to a great start.
He has pitched out of the pen a few times since returning from injury, including throwing 2 scoreless and 33 pitches against us in the 1st game Friday. He faced 8 batters in that appearance. But this will be his 1st start since the injury. He was in their weekend rotation until that injury in April.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Miami takes it. Good for RPI and good for UL likely being eliminated from NCAAT selection. Would be tough to imagine the ACC getting fewer than 8 bids.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Not looking good so far, top of the 7th down 8 to 1.
Need our bats to get hot and score some runs.
I went to the game, sitting behind the plate with 2 FSU fans in front of me, my wife and my youngest. In the sixth I said “we don’t score ‘till the 7th anyway” and then before the 7th I said “we’re going to score 4 this inning”. We scored five, and the FSU guys were asking me to stop making predictions. They were unusually nice for FSU fans.

Had to leave in the middle of the 7th, so wasn’t able to catch the ending.