ACC Baseball Tournament

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I will say this about the fsu series and upcoming pool play

I truly think we win the series 2 of 3 from fsu if it is was at home

We hit their pitching very well.

We could’ve easily swept uva in Charlottesville if not for a base running error. We also run ruled uva in their house.

I’m not saying we won’t go 0-2 however I’m not overly concerned about this pool because of how we performed against these two teams on the road.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will say this about the fsu series and upcoming pool play

I truly think we win the series 2 of 3 from fsu if it is was at home

We hit their pitching very well.

We could’ve easily swept uva in Charlottesville if not for a base running error. We also run ruled uva in their house.

I’m not saying we won’t go 0-2 however I’m not overly concerned about this pool because of how we performed against these two teams on the road.

Need to add a poll to this post. I think we go 1-1. Don't know who we beat though.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Need to add a poll to this post. I think we go 1-1. Don't know who we beat though.
I’ve seen that we are in with every projection out there as of 5/15 post duke series.

One projection said we had to win one at fsu to get on the bubble and two to secure it. Not that I agree with that but just putting out there what people think.

Whether we agree with rpi or not and how it is calculated (I personally do not), that is irrelevant as the selection committee does take that metric into consideration very heavily. That means we are squarely on the bubble but in a better position than Va tech and Louisville but in a weaker position than Florida. All of which are bubble teams.

Really need all three of the above teams to go 0-2 in tournament play

It’s why splitting that Auburn series was critical along with getting swept to bc at home. Everything else imo has exceeded my expectations.

With all that being said, I think we need to go 1-1 in pool play like GtNavy said above to secure a bid.

0-2 and I think we get in but it’ll be dicey.

Win pool play and we are a guaranteed lock with a top 35 rpi

No matter.

Bring the thunder boys cause we gonna need that caveman baseball next week

Go Jackets

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen that we are in with every projection out there as of 5/15 post duke series.

One projection said we had to win one at fsu to get on the bubble and two to secure it. Not that I agree with that but just putting out there what people think.

Whether we agree with rpi or not and how it is calculated (I personally do not), that is irrelevant as the selection committee does take that metric into consideration very heavily. That means we are squarely on the bubble but in a better position than Va tech and Louisville but in a weaker position than Florida. All of which are bubble teams.

It’s why splitting that Auburn series was critical along with getting swept to bc at home. Everything else imo has exceeded my expectations.

With all that being said, I think we need to go 1-1 in pool play like GtNavy said above to secure a bid.

No matter.

Go Jackets
If we lose to FSU [AND] UVA cares about advancing in the ACCT... our game on Wed morning will have no bearing on that goal for UVA.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Really need all three of the above teams to go 0-2 in tournament play

No matter.

Go Jackets
If Florida gets in over us, I will be beyond pissed. I don't care what schedule they played or what their RPI is. A team that went 13-17 in their conference and is only 2 games over .500 does not deserve to get in.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
If Florida gets in over us, I will be beyond pissed. I don't care what schedule they played or what their RPI is. A team that went 13-17 in their conference and is only 2 games over .500 does not deserve to get in.
100% in agreement with you good sir

It’s why I despise the rpi

At some point winning has to matter over strength of schedule however it goes the other way.

I get not playing poor teams but winning does matter.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think the SEC has 5 teams who are all 13-17 and all of 'em think they deserve a bid. I think LSU is in the boat too...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think the SEC has 5 teams who are all 13-17 and all of 'em think they deserve a bid. I think LSU is in the boat too...
None of those teams deserve a bid unless they can get 2 or 3 wins in their conference tourney. I think in the ACC and SEC if you can get to 15 or 16 wins in conference plus the tourney then it should be pretty much automatic.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Lsu coach pissed and moaned about playing in the sec and it’s by far the best conference and tried the woe is me argument

Both LSU and Uf have losing records in the conference and are 23 Uf and 30 Lsu in rpi

Guaranteed that an acc team under .500 in conference in highly unlikely to make the tournament yet lsu and uf could easily get in

Blah blah blah

I understand the rpi is based on formulas and strength of scheduling with little to no bias (even though I think the formulas aren’t effective) however the selection committee is biased and will use the rpi to benefit the sec

Also sec rankings are biased and overrated imo

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like playing on Tuesday and Wednesday. Gives the longest time to Saturday if we win. Plus quicker turn around from weekend is good as we don't have the shutdown ace. If the cavemen come out we can beat anyone.

In any event, the reason D1 Baseball has the SEC package upgrade is that SEC people have a larger audience and apparently will pay more. So the SEC fans make more noise and the pay services will cater to them to make more $. That would include pandering. IIWII.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Changing the subject, who do you think starts for us tomorrow. I would rule out Finateri for two reasons: 1. only a few days rest since his last start and 2. FSU didn't have any problems hitting him. Jones pretty much has the same negatives as Finateri. Personally I think I would make it a staff day and have everyone go just 1 or 2 innings. Maybe give McGuire the start and then match up after that. I don't know what the field dimensions are in Charlotte but if it is a hitter's park we need to try to get some innings from guys that are less prone to the long ball. I believe Finateri leads the league in gopher balls.

Also, will Green be able to go at shortstop for us. His bat in the lineup makes us much stronger. Does anyone know his status? And was Younger hurt? Or did he get pulled for lack of production?

Finally do we keep Burress in the leadoff spot or move him back to the 2 spot?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Changing the subject, who do you think starts for us tomorrow. I would rule out Finateri for two reasons: 1. only a few days rest since his last start and 2. FSU didn't have any problems hitting him. Jones pretty much has the same negatives as Finateri. Personally I think I would make it a staff day and have everyone go just 1 or 2 innings. Maybe give McGuire the start and then match up after that. I don't know what the field dimensions are in Charlotte but if it is a hitter's park we need to try to get some innings from guys that are less prone to the long ball. I believe Finateri leads the league in gopher balls.

Also, will Green be able to go at shortstop for us. His bat in the lineup makes us much stronger. Does anyone know his status? And was Younger hurt? Or did he get pulled for lack of production?

Cam Hill would get the ball if I could choose

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

Yunger was injured....WREK broadcast said hand/wrist injury. Sounds similar to Green, although it happened during the game Friday afternoon and not in pre-game. I have no idea their status.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
None of those teams deserve a bid unless they can get 2 or 3 wins in their conference tourney. I think in the ACC and SEC if you can get to 15 or 16 wins in conference plus the tourney then it should be pretty much automatic.
I couldn’t agree any more with this post.

Go .500 or better in the acc or sec in what are considered the two best baseball conferences, you should be in (not necessarily a lock but definitely be considered first over teams under .500 in their conference).