ACC Baseball Tournament

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion, but if we are going to have any chance to win the tournament, we are going to have to win games “big”, given how thin our pitching is and how poor our win % is against the ACC in close games (2-9 in games decided by 3 runs or less). We should play for the big inning at almost all times. There is no way we should be bunting base runners over in the early innings or with the top of our order. Only time I can see it as being appropriate is 8th, 9th or extras to get the tieing or winning run into scoring position.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think Thomas' motion is easier on the arm and would make it easier for him to pitch twice. Especially Tuesday - Sunday.
I would rather have Thomas pitch against UNC though. I wouldn't mind English starting against Pitt since we have a couple days rest after. You could start him and then use whoever you have to in the pen to win the game and everyone would still be fresh for Friday.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow, that sets up very nicely for us. We could use Curry twice this week.

I am going with Thomas to start Tuesday's game with Curry to start the second game. If we lose the first one, we are done! I worry that Curry doesn't have enough to mix it up with NC. We have done well with top teams -except for uga and NC. So now that I am saying this, I almost think we stick with Curry first and Thomas against NC. We got swept by NC and might as well say we got swept by Pitt since we should have taken all 3. That first game last year was ridiculous, hoping we can get it done in 9 and not have to go to the bullpen too early.

I don't think that Tristen will start, he had a sore arm and he hasn't been spot on for his last couple of starts.

Hope that in 2019 we can get one of our current guys or a new freshman to fill the Friday spot or move Thomas to Friday and perhaps Hurter moves to Sunday. Then move Curry to the closer role. That may be contrary to popular belief but I really think that he is a closer - quick, fast punchouts. Maybe give him bring him in as a position player and he closes like the guy with Duke. Just thinking ahead, hope we pull out the ACC tournament or at least win significantly so that we can make a case but if not, begin thinking about 2019 now.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly think we are in the NCAA if we make it to the acc championship game. Prob don’t have to win. That would put us at 17-17 in the conference and 34 wins overall.

Unless Miami wins the acc then an appearance in the final game should ensure we are taken over them in the NCAA.

Also if FSU craps the bed then we could pass them in the acc standings AND having beaten them head to head it would add to our argument.

That said, Id throw English on Tuesday, Thomas on Friday and X on Saturday. X would also be my first reliever in either game if they were in doubt at all. If that happens then Saturday becomes pitch by committee.

HAVE to get to Saturday.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess another option is Thomas on Tuesday and you’re able to bring him in for 2 or 3 innings against unc if you need to.

I just remember he shut unc down this year for the 7 innings he pitched. So I’d like for him to go against the Holes.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I am going with Thomas to start Tuesday's game with Curry to start the second game. If we lose the first one, we are done! I worry that Curry doesn't have enough to mix it up with NC. We have done well with top teams -except for uga and NC. So now that I am saying this, I almost think we stick with Curry first and Thomas against NC. We got swept by NC and might as well say we got swept by Pitt since we should have taken all 3. That first game last year was ridiculous, hoping we can get it done in 9 and not have to go to the bullpen too early.

I don't think that Tristen will start, he had a sore arm and he hasn't been spot on for his last couple of starts.

Hope that in 2019 we can get one of our current guys or a new freshman to fill the Friday spot or move Thomas to Friday and perhaps Hurter moves to Sunday. Then move Curry to the closer role. That may be contrary to popular belief but I really think that he is a closer - quick, fast punchouts. Maybe give him bring him in as a position player and he closes like the guy with Duke. Just thinking ahead, hope we pull out the ACC tournament or at least win significantly so that we can make a case but if not, begin thinking about 2019 now.
I thought that Curry should have been the closer as a freshman. I think we are too far into his career now and all the scouts are looking at him as a starter. I do believe that we will have about 6 guys that can start next year in Curry, Thomas, English, Hurter, and the incoming guys, Willingham and Friedman. I doubt Bartnicki makes it on campus, but if he does then he will start.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with matching Thomas up with UNC on Friday. He's the best starter & it's "normal" rest. English is rested (pitched last v UVA on Mon) & assuming he's not in pain, give him ball against Pitt. If CDH decides to go with Curry v Pitt, I won't quibble. Need to beat Pitt.

As the pool's high seed, UNC only has to beat winner of PITT/GT to advance to semifinals (the UNC v GT/Pitt loser is meaningless to determining the pool winner). So..."when" GT wins, I assume UNC will save its best starter for Fri.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
DdpbawXVwAEPniQ.jpg

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m pretty stumped on this one. Here’s the only rules I could find. They’re a few years old but I’d imagine probably still pretty accurate. If I counted correctly, I think both teams even went 7-11 within their own division. It sure reads to me that they would do the common opponent with best record and that would’ve come down to Clemson series like you stated.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/06baseseeding.pdf
@FredJacket So the only thing I’ve seen that sort of explains this (UVA and ND tiebreaker) is what I just saw on twitter from someone who was replying. If true (and assuming it is), it sure is dumb.

“Duke was the tiebreaking common opponent for Virginia and Notre Dame. Clemson was not used since it was tied with North Carolina which was not also a common opponent.”

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@FredJacket So the only thing I’ve seen that sort of explains this (UVA and ND tiebreaker) is what I just saw on twitter from someone who was replying. If true (and assuming it is), it sure is dumb.

“Duke was the tiebreaking common opponent for Virginia and Notre Dame. Clemson was not used since it was tied with North Carolina which was not also a common opponent.”
Thank you! Three thoughts:
1) Totally agree...That is a pretty odd way to implement the tiebreaker as written.
2) I know it's "just" the little ol' ACC baseball tournament & few people pay much attention (relatively)... but seems in our information age & the power of the millions of Google Boxes across the globe... a more official explanation would be easier to find.
3) What does it say about me (personally) that I want it explained (officially) so bad?
:happy:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ga Tech should beat Pitt regardless of who starts. No fun to dredge up old bad news... but the fact Pitt won the series in Pittsburgh over Ga Tech was not a indicator they (Pitt) 'won' that series.. but really that Ga Tech lost it.

Pitt won 11 games in the ACC. They finished their ACC schedule 1-8 over last 3 series. Their Atlantic division opponents (not common with GT) were: #5Lou, #11ND and #14BC. The record in those series (3-6) with all 3 wins against BC and ND. Compare that to Ga Tech's cross-divisional opponents (not common with Pitt): #3NCST, #6FSU, #9WF. Ga Tech's record in those games was 5-4.

Bottom line... Pitt's 11 wins were "easier" than Ga Tech's 14 wins AND the Jackets have NO BUSINESS losing 3 out of 4 games against Pitt. I really hope they come out guns blazing... the bats looked really good against Duke. No reason to believe that won't continue tomorrow.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow, that sets up very nicely for us. We could use Curry twice this week.
I went from cautiously hopeful to, giving us very little chance when I saw the schedule. I give us better than a 50% chance of beating Pitt, but not much better, given our road woes. However, if we beat Pitt, as someone else stated, the Pitt/UNC game is meaningless in terms of who advances, so UNC does not have to/will not throw anyone of consequence in that game. So, they will have had a full 6 days off & their best arms on the hill. Assuming we throw X against Pitt and win, CT gives us a chance as he too will have almost full rest, but don't see us overcoming UNC, home crowd, best arms, etc., etc.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I went from cautiously hopeful to, giving us very little chance when I saw the schedule. I give us better than a 50% chance of beating Pitt, but not much better, given our road woes. However, if we beat Pitt, as someone else stated, the Pitt/UNC game is meaningless in terms of who advances, so UNC does not have to/will not throw anyone of consequence in that game. So, they will have had a full 6 days off & their best arms on the hill. Assuming we throw X against Pitt and win, CT gives us a chance as he too will have almost full rest, but don't see us overcoming UNC, home crowd, best arms, etc., etc.

The one thing I will say in our favor is that UNC doesn't seem to have a dominant #1 starter so it may not make a big difference if they can hold their Friday starter for our game. Their strength seems to be mainly offense and a long list of quality bullpen arms. Connor outpitched all of their starters in our first series with them and they only won with a bullpen collapse of epic proportions on our part.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I will say in our favor is that UNC doesn't seem to have a dominant #1 starter so it may not make a big difference if they can hold their Friday starter for our game. Their strength seems to be mainly offense and a long list of quality bullpen arms. Connor outpitched all of their starters in our first series with them and they only won with a bullpen collapse of epic proportions on our part.
We have redefined "epic proportions" this year. Thanks for the hope though, you moved the needle form little chance back towards cautiously hopeful ......