ACC AD Meetings - New Revenue Distribution Model?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Looking like ACC will adopt some form of revenue distribution based on the success of football and basketball teams. This means teams that invest in their football and basketball teams and see them in the playoffs, big bowls, or postseason tournaments will benefit the most. Honestly, I think that's fair. If you want to half a$$ those sports and go cheap, you reap what you sow. This is MUCH better than giving teams more money just based off their "brand".

Conference administrators identified several workable models Tuesday during its spring meetings at the Ritz-Carlton in Amelia Island, Florida. The models are centered on merit-based rewards that would provide programs a bigger share of the conference's annual revenue based on their postseason success, particularly in football and basketball. Top-tier members could earn an additional $10 million or more in revenue, Florida State athletics director Michael Alford told 247Sports.

Additional money in a merit-based system would come from payouts from the NCAA Tournament and College Football Playoff. The CFP pays conferences $6 million for each team selected in the four-team playoff and $4 million for each team in the New Year's Six. That money is currently evenly distributed to all teams in the ACC. New financial details when the playoff expands to 12 teams have not yet been finalized.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looking like ACC will adopt some form of revenue distribution based on the success of football and basketball teams. This means teams that invest in their football and basketball teams and see them in the playoffs, big bowls, or postseason tournaments will benefit the most. Honestly, I think that's fair. If you want to half a$$ those sports and go cheap, you reap what you sow. This is MUCH better than giving teams more money just based off their "brand".

Conference administrators identified several workable models Tuesday during its spring meetings at the Ritz-Carlton in Amelia Island, Florida. The models are centered on merit-based rewards that would provide programs a bigger share of the conference's annual revenue based on their postseason success, particularly in football and basketball. Top-tier members could earn an additional $10 million or more in revenue, Florida State athletics director Michael Alford told 247Sports.

Additional money in a merit-based system would come from payouts from the NCAA Tournament and College Football Playoff. The CFP pays conferences $6 million for each team selected in the four-team playoff and $4 million for each team in the New Year's Six. That money is currently evenly distributed to all teams in the ACC. New financial details when the playoff expands to 12 teams have not yet been finalized.

That sounds great.
We suckered them into thinking we are going to continue to be a bottom feeder. Its like they are saying , gt alumni you should give way more money, because now you will get a bonus for sucess.

Would be hillarious if teams like unc, mia, fsu had a few season of mediocrity and we went on a tear

As an aside
There is hope!
Today at Pensacola high where i volunteer for football i meet the new wr coach we hired from W Kentucky. He was visiting hs head coaches in area and needed to leave to catch a plane back to Atl.

.We are actually recruiting head coaches!

I asked him about the air raid - w running game. He said to the phs coach " we are going to sling it around"

Last edited:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

High School Musical Disney GIF by High School Musical: The Musical: The Series | Disney+

except for those of us who want more $$. Here's looking at you fsu, Anderson Co. House Cats, et al...

I hope we begin a run on top of the money pile.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Re-allocating the incremental payouts from the CFP and NCAA Tourney with a bias towards the schools that earned them actually sounds workable and fair, and hard to argue against. That way the ESPN media revenue distribution remains unchanged and avoids any sort of arbitrary “reputation-based” payout that would be opposed by the majority.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
ESPN and the NCAA need to step up and offer a financial solution that brings all participants into a position of parity. Why pay the Big Ten so much more than the ACC, or even the SEC? You must socialize the rewards system if you want to retain the spirit of the college football game. Otherwise, you will perpetuate the football factory haves and have-nots. Capitalism will ultimately lead to a professional league that will become a real farm system for the NFL.

In a decade or so, you will not have anything resembling college football. Probably 32 farm teams who may or may not even be affiliated with a college or university.

Go Jackets!

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont see why f$u is excited about this because of their recent lack of success in football and basketball and baseball...
They are no doubt on the rise. Norvell was a good hire. Had a rough patch mid season but finished things by spanking everyone (including us). I’m glad we don’t play them this year, they return everyone along with some ballers from the portal. Won’t be shocked to see them ACC champs and New Years six in the slightest.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
ESPN and the NCAA need to step up and offer a financial solution that brings all participants into a position of parity. Why pay the Big Ten so much more than the ACC, or even the SEC? You must socialize the rewards system if you want to retain the spirit of the college football game. Otherwise, you will perpetuate the football factory haves and have-nots. Capitalism will ultimately lead to a professional league that will become a real farm system for the NFL.

In a decade or so, you will not have anything resembling college football. Probably 32 farm teams who may or may not even be affiliated with a college or university.

Go Jackets!
I'm for a regulated capitalism. A good start would be just enforcing currently existing NCAA rules.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They are no doubt on the rise. Norvell was a good hire. Had a rough patch mid season but finished things by spanking everyone (including us). I’m glad we don’t play them this year, they return everyone along with some ballers from the portal. Won’t be shocked to see them ACC champs and New Years six in the slightest.
and just like that a mega team hires him.
Then we slip into top 4 acc when decesions are made!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This revenue sharing partitioning is nothing more than a power play by teams outside the tobacco road crowd to start the breakup of the conference. The reason for a conference is strength in numbers and equal status among the members. To start parceling up the revenue unequally is the beginning of the end and does nothing but divide the members. This is classic physcological societal behavior. Those in power change the rules to remain in power. If the ACC does breakup, where are all these teams supposed to go? The SEC teams are not going to take less so FSU and maybe Clemson can make more. Why split up the pie even further. It makes no sense. These big schools have lots of teams to support: soccer, gymnastics, lacrosse, field hockey, swimming, with both men and women's teams that we don't have. They choose to have them. IMHO FSU has never been a good fit in the ACC. They were independent and needed a conference for consistent scheduling and to play for championships. The SEC likely didn't want them and Bowden was smart enough to know he didn't want a SEC schedule every year. Regardless of what happens with the ACC long term, I will still be a GT fan and attend games when I can.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Re-allocating the incremental payouts from the CFP and NCAA Tourney with a bias towards the schools that earned them actually sounds workable and fair, and hard to argue against. That way the ESPN media revenue distribution remains unchanged and avoids any sort of arbitrary “reputation-based” payout that would be opposed by the majority.
I agree with this. The collective conference funds from broadcast and the like need to remain in equal portions. Picking winners and losers on that level is a complete failure. I was very worried that’s where this was headed.
I can get on board with the winning teams keeping the majority of their post season earnings, or even all of it, for that matter.
What I don’t know is how the broadcast “incentives” work. I know there are opportunities / incentives in the ESPN deal to make additional broadcast revenue. If the incentives are based on post season game / tournament revenues, are those due equally to the conference members or individually to the participating team? I suspect that’s in the process of getting worked out.
What’s abundantly clear is that the process of the rich getting richer is still full steam ahead. The good news is that as long as it is merit based and open to all annually, there is an opportunity to change our fortune. It’s not too late... yet

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
They are no doubt on the rise. Norvell was a good hire. Had a rough patch mid season but finished things by spanking everyone (including us). I’m glad we don’t play them this year until December 2nd. They return everyone along with some ballers from the portal. Won’t be shocked to see them ACC champs and New Years six in the slightest.
FIFY!

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC is economically viable (meaning it can compete with the other conferences financially), then I say play on.

But if this is just delaying the inevitable, then I think it would best for us to find a chair before the music stops.

My concern is that if we don't play our "Atlanta Market" card in a timely manner, we won't get to play it at all.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

If my memory is correct after 40 plus years, when GT joined the ACC there was an incentive for a Bowl team. The Team earning a Bowl Trip was given a 3/8 share of the money with 5/8 being shared among the other 7 members. Probably peanuts compared to today's payouts, but it was an incentive to have a competitive program.

When FSU joined the conference in 92. some of the ACC members insisted that everything be shared equally. They recognized that FSU would be dominate at that time when Bowden was at his peak.

What goes around comes around!

I agree with Ken Sugiura's comment in his AJC article this afternoon that this change in distribution might give some of the dormant programs an incentive to improve and get to a bowl and the NCAA Tournament more often. Regretfully, we have to put GT in that group at the moment.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC is economically viable (meaning it can compete with the other conferences financially), then I say play on.

But if this is just delaying the inevitable, then I think it would best for us to find a chair before the music stops.

My concern is that if we don't play our "Atlanta Market" card in a timely manner, we won't get to play it at all.
I don't think there's a chair available right now. But seven or eight years from now, after a couple of conference championships (hopefully) and increased fan interest, maybe we'll find one.

Hard to imagine 3/4 of the conference voting for unequal revenue sharing, and with the GOR in place for the next 13 years, I'm guessing this is all a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
We're worried here that there won't be a place for GT to go. There are other programs in the conference that are far *less* attractive, and that's leverage that can be used against them. They have a pretty strong hand thanks to the GOR, but just how strong do they think it is / are there lawyers saying it is? How confident are they that the conference will exist in the first place in five, ten years? How confident are they that the GOR is bulletproof?

I don't know that they can appease their way to the ACC staying together for 13 years at today's media $$ numbers, but if changes like this are happening, it signals that they aren't *that* confident in the current situation. (My money is on conference dissolution in 5-10 years, personally.)

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
This is just me, but for all the doubters whether GT ends up in a power conference, it's real simple to me. The Big wants to be the National Conference in CFB, they want media mkts and they require AAU membership. IMO the BIG will come down the eastern US with acquisitions of schools, and they definitely want in FL (loaded with people from the BIG 10 states) it is apparent to me they will want the 7th biggest media mkt in the country. They have stated media mkts are important to them. GT is AAU, sits in the heart of 7th largest media mkt, our Pres has made a commitment to GT FB winning at the highest level. There is presently not another school that fits what they want in Georgia, I don't think they want to skip over Georgia, not to say they won't, but I'm expecting us to do what needs to be done to make them not want to skip over Georgia. Commitment from our Pres, and hiring of a really good fund raiser as AD was a necessary beginning and shows our commitment. Now we have to raise some $ it appears, get out of the GOR or the ACC and that is the "granddaddy" problem now and also for all the other schools the Big 10 wants coming down the east coast. Will it get solved? It has to somehow or there are some really big athletic programs that will become irrelevant in the future. I just think that is not going to happen, way too much money involved. There are 7 schools that are together on this, do they stick together going fwd, don't know but I think there is the eighth school that could join them in either GT or possibly ND. I imagine both ND and GT would have to have an invite in hand (might be silent) in order to join the seven. It would definitely help if we can get our FB program winning and successful again, but I do not believe this is a necessity.
CFB is very fan emotional and I find so many look at it through those emotional eyes, but conference realignment is 100% about business and it better be at the decision level.