ACC 2022-2023

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Blake Hinson vs. Jayden Gardner tonight. Wish students were back though because Pitt has a good environment even when the team is bad. The Pete should still be rocking so it should be some good TV.

Last edited:

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I guess the most sensible thing would be the 32 conference champions and 64 at-large teams with the conference champions receiving a bye. Not sure when GT would make a 96 team field.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It's been a long decade but Pitt basketball is back, at least for this year before all these stud grad transfers leave. This season definitely just ends with Jeff Capel getting a bad contract extension.

Miami, Pitt, and Clemson are the 3 remaining unbeatens, just like we all expected.

Also fan reaction to the NCAAT expansion idea, as expected, is pretty bad. I love how making the Tournament is treated like an actual accomplishment, which will not be the case anymore if we're letting 8-12 (W-L record) ACC teams in. If they just turn all the 1 bid leagues into 2 bid leagues, I'd be more okay with it. Although I'd miss the passion of those winner-take-all conference championship games, especially when they are hosted on campus.

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Pitt lost their 2nd straight today @Duke, which means they will probably show up Saturday at McCamish pretty focused and pissed off. Lucky us. Thankfully we also lose a lot so it should be a fun game between 2 desperate teams. A road loss to us is likely going to be Q3 (yikes) in NET so pretty big game for Pitt's tournament resume.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pitt lost their 2nd straight today @Duke, which means they will probably show up Saturday at McCamish pretty focused and pissed off. Lucky us. Thankfully we also lose a lot so it should be a fun game between 2 desperate teams. A road loss to us is likely going to be Q3 (yikes) in NET so pretty big game for Pitt's tournament resume.
They had the lead on Cameron for a large part of the game. Duke pulled it out and got some reffing help in the second half. They are a team full of transfers. Best team they have had in a while. We don't match up well with them on the baseline.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
It's been a long decade but Pitt basketball is back, at least for this year before all these stud grad transfers leave. This season definitely just ends with Jeff Capel getting a bad contract extension.

Miami, Pitt, and Clemson are the 3 remaining unbeatens, just like we all expected.

Also fan reaction to the NCAAT expansion idea, as expected, is pretty bad. I love how making the Tournament is treated like an actual accomplishment, which will not be the case anymore if we're letting 8-12 (W-L record) ACC teams in. If they just turn all the 1 bid leagues into 2 bid leagues, I'd be more okay with it. Although I'd miss the passion of those winner-take-all conference championship games, especially when they are hosted on campus.

I Agree, I feel like this a further dilution of the Product. Before long, the regular season will mean near zero. Also, I believe this is an additional move away from the College Mission! How many games per season can you play before you are a total Professional!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe how many short jumpers we miss from within the paint. This is just not a good offensive team. Pretty decent defense but don't get to the line enough and miss too many short shots. Still trying to run with Rodney at the high post but it just hasn't been effective getting guys free for layups. Lots of standing around off the ball . I guess as long as Josh is here we will continue to see that offense. Even when we got penetration we missed close shots and didn't even draw a foul. Hard to watch.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't believe how many short jumpers we miss from within the paint. This is just not a good offensive team. Pretty decent defense but don't get to the line enough and miss too many short shots. Still trying to run with Rodney at the high post but it just hasn't been effective getting guys free for layups. Lots of standing around off the ball . I guess as long as Josh is here we will continue to see that offense. Even when we got penetration we missed close shots and didn't even draw a foul. Hard to watch.
I don't think these guys are running the offense correctly, but much of that comes from Rodney at the elbow. He doesn't seem to be a threat in any way there. He is not a shooter or a threat to drive and he is not a good passer. He is a decent (not good) rebounder on the defensive end, but playing elbow negates that skill on the offensive end. So, what he does is clog up the lanes so others cannot penetrate. And, our best shooter (Coleman) almost never shoots. It was frustrating today. Smith and Kelly and Maxwell tried to one on one their way to winning and that backfired more than it worked.

Whatever I saw that gave me optimism before the season is currently in the bin. I have never been on the "fire Pastner" stump, but something has to change. These kids are not bad basketball players and should be winning more than losing. Pitt is an improved team under Capel and that is a fact. That said, it is time for us be better than Pitt.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Howard doesn’t even look to make a pass to any cutter. All he is looking for is who he’s going to hand the ball off to. You can’t run the offense that way. In my humble opinion, he would be a decent pick and roll guy, but that is it in our arsenal. It would also help space the floor for our guys which would help them get to the hoop, or force somebody to help for a kick out.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think these guys are running the offense correctly, but much of that comes from Rodney at the elbow. He doesn't seem to be a threat in any way there. He is not a shooter or a threat to drive and he is not a good passer. He is a decent (not good) rebounder on the defensive end, but playing elbow negates that skill on the offensive end. So, what he does is clog up the lanes so others cannot penetrate. And, our best shooter (Coleman) almost never shoots. It was frustrating today. Smith and Kelly and Maxwell tried to one on one their way to winning and that backfired more than it worked.

Whatever I saw that gave me optimism before the season is currently in the bin. I have never been on the "fire Pastner" stump, but something has to change. These kids are not bad basketball players and should be winning more than losing. Pitt is an improved team under Capel and that is a fact. That said, it is time for us be better than Pitt.
The disturbing part is it is very clear what our players’ limitations are. Only Smith can win off the dribble. Can’t stay in front of opponents who drive to the basket. No rim protector. Poor rebounders less Smith who is exception for his height.

The offense is painful to watch as you said it devolves to one on one where we can’t win against the defender.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
BTW:
I watched some of the VT Duke game last night. VT is much better than their record. Both those teams have superior post play to ours. But neither has the guard quickness of NCS.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Anybody just catch Miami/Pitt? 11-0 run in the final 2 minutes for Pitt at the Pete to win by 3. Tons of great drama. It could be the Big East fan in me but the ACC is more fun with a good Pitt IMO.

slugboy

Staff member
Good article about who is on the bubble in the Athletic, but paywalled (https://theathletic.com/4137386/2023/01/31/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch/?source=user_shared_article).

This year’s ACC looks to get 4 or 5 teams in the NCAA tournament. UVA, Miami, Duke, and UNC look good. NCST, Clemson, Pitt, and Wake are in the conversation. Right now, we’re the sixth ranked conference. GT is only mentioned as “a bad loss” for Miami. We’re so far outside the bubble that the only way we get in is to win the ACC tournament. We’re currently the 13th ranked team out of 15–Notre Dame and Louisville have been worse this year.

The ACC has been worried about football for the last I don’t know how many years, but we’ve lost our way in basketball. Some of you have been saying that for years, but conferences like the Mountain West are looking stronger than the ACC, (and the Big East definitely is). If the ACC commissioner isn’t worried about how we’re doing in basketball, then he should be.

Here’s Warren Nolan’s site—this thing is a gem: https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2023/conference/ACC