Academic Requirements for Recruits

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
In 2014 the academic requirements were lowered so that CPJ and his staff no longer had a 20% cap on the number of exception cases as long as the athlete met the NCAA’s minimum requirements. The coaches could make a case to admissions if the player displayed promising traits that lent to success at Georgia Tech even though they didn’t meet the minimum requirements to get into Tech. He was granted this repeal because his players were graduating at historically high rates. I would assume that this has remained the same for CGC.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Ha! I said this numerous times only to get shushed. Ive also said kids are more equipped now and know what they need to get in these Institutions.

I've been saying this same thing because was a high school math teacher and taught MULIPLE students with LOIs from Tech. Only 1 of them was a good student with good scores. I was personally told that the academics was not the reason they weren't going to Tech. And I'll just leave it at that.

I still standby my point that 35/40 of the Top 50 and 80 of the 100 in GA can get into Tech

LibertyTurns

Banned
In 2014 the academic requirements were lowered so that CPJ and his staff no longer had a 20% cap on the number of exception cases as long as the athlete met the NCAA’s minimum requirements. The coaches could make a case to admissions if the player displayed promising traits that lent to success at Georgia Tech even though they didn’t meet the minimum requirements to get into Tech. He was granted this repeal because his players were graduating at historically high rates. I would assume that this has remained the same for CGC.
Mom has a memory!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ha! I said this numerous times only to get shushed. Ive also said kids are more equipped now and know what they need to get in these Institutions.

I still standby my point that 35/40 of the Top 50 and 80 of the 100 in GA can get into Tech

The good news is that we have access to 80%. The bad news is that all the football factories surrounding us have access to 100%. We may not be as far behind the 8 ball as many perceive, but we are still behind the 8 ball. And when curriculum limitations are included, that 80% declines further. We need to get out of our own back yard in order to compensate. Selling the school to good players nationally who want a STEM education while playing P-5 ball is the ticket.

Last edited:

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Taking into account we had the highest SAT avg. among football players in D-1 public programs some 25 years ago, and the average for regular GT students has skyrocketed since, we still are indeed behind the 8 ball. As good as it's gonna get is the 2014 scenario described by GTMom, and that will last as long as long as we graduate most of em, which is as it should be (see ugag for an extreme counter example).

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Certainly, there is a small percentage of guys that we just cant take. But the point is, there are more than enough that we can. Curriculum can be a problem if a guy has a very specific major in mind that we dont have, but this isnt the most common scenario, either.

Something else to keep in mind is that powerhouse high school programs that turn out a lot of D1 talent are much more on top of academics now. It is part of the total package.

I have heard for a number of years that our coaches have generally believed that the bottom third made no sense to recruit, either because they didn't meet minimum entrance requirements or, if they did, they were likely to be miserable/unable to progress academically.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow

Preach it. SAT is a just a dumbass vocabulary test. If a kid has the self motivation to develop his athleticism into P5 level while passing college prep courses, that kid can make it through the 2019 GT mtrain.

Engineering calculus is a different story.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The biggest hurdles we have is not admissions but a lot of top players, maybe most, do not want to put in the work required at Tech, and lack of majors. Those 2 hurdles will NEVER change.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk