Academic Requirements for Recruits

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Has anyone seen — or read — any published minimum academic requirements for prospective football recruits at Georgia Tech?

I haven’t. So I believe it is a big unknown.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if “some strings are pulled,” though.

I remember in 2005, if you had core 3.0 only a 920-950 was the minimum. 850 is the min at every other school

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Damn. We admitted a kid with a sat of 590

Shoot i knew of low 8s and high 7s. But never the 590

Gosh wonder who and if they did ok

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
To me, the highlight of that story is the total number of special admits taken by each school over the 5-6 years studied......UGa 63. GT 31

Yep. It means we (GT) need to double the number of special admits so we can get our football program up into the Top 5 like UGA does.

I appreciate reading that in-depth AJC article. It is an eye opener, and enlightening.

LibertyTurns

Banned
To me, the highlight of that story is the total number of special admits taken by each school over the 5-6 years studied......UGa 63. GT 31
The mutts have 63 Special Admits to a Special Ed program. Isn’t that just special. Why even have academic requirements? Gotta admit I’d never thought GT’s average football SAT was 1040. That’s damn near the national average.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The guy with the 590 was an athlete who did very well at Tech. Spent three years here and went to the NFL.

To my mind, that's the only thing that matters. If he made the grade, and did it honestly, it doesn't matter what he made on his SAT.

The biggest difference between Tech and Ugag is the graduation and retention rates, this even though Ugag, in contrast to Tech, has numerous easy courses of study to pursue.
Just speculating here, but I think Tech must put a lot more emphasis on character than Ugag. It's not always easy to accurately assess, but Ugag doesn't even seem to care much about it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
To my mind, that's the only thing that matters. If he made the grade, and did it honestly, it doesn't matter what he made on his SAT.

The biggest difference between Tech and Ugag is the graduation and retention rates, this even though Ugag, in contrast to Tech, has numerous easy courses of study to pursue.
Just speculating here, but I think Tech must put a lot more emphasis on character than Ugag. It's not always easy to accurately assess, but Ugag doesn't even seem to care much about it.

I'd be careful with reading too much into it either way. We took a guy who had no business being in college, let alone GT, and allowed him to play football for us for a couple of years. I don't know how he made it through GT's academics, but he survived for three years. My brother-in-law was his HS math teacher and was stunned GT offered and signed him. I won't go into his character, but it wasn't pristine either. To his credit, he kept his nose clean while at GT.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'd be careful with reading too much into it either way. We took a guy who had no business being in college, let alone GT, and allowed him to play football for us for a couple of years. I don't know how he made it through GT's academics, but he survived for three years. My brother-in-law was his HS math teacher and was stunned GT offered and signed him. I won't go into his character, but it wasn't pristine either. To his credit, he kept his nose clean while at GT.

Well, the proof is in the pudding. Just compare arrest records.

Milwaukee

Banned

Sounds like a great success story to me. Kudos to Tech for accepting him and kudos to him for making his millions in the pros. Win/win.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The guy with the 590 was an athlete who did very well at Tech. Spent three years here and went to the NFL.

If u r referring to daryl smith that was way before this articles data pull. The 590 was during the late cpj tenure based on the data pull; so thats what interests me. I assume this person was recent

LibertyTurns

Banned
During the Curry years there was a kid from down south that used to have the kid next to him take his tests. He couldn’t sharpen his own crayon. Got to GT, managed to attain the buckshot GPA & failed Freshman summer quarter and was never heard from again.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If u r referring to daryl smith that was way before this articles data pull. The 590 was during the late cpj tenure based on the data pull; so thats what interests me. I assume this person was recent

It wasn't Daryl Smith and it wasn't during the late CPJ era. The article was from 2014-15 (I can't remember exact date) and the player was on early CPJ teams.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The data included ALL players on the team from 09-14, not just the ones admitted in 2009 or later.

according to the article...it says since 2009 enrolled or enrollees; and documents the data as enrolled freshman starting in 2009.....re read it. I think it was clear it defines it as enrollees from 2009 - 2014

But maybe not. In any event i would expect that kid likely under cpj than chan as under chan there was more lockdown due to flunk gate under him and cpj got more leeway in that timeframe eventually.

Although. I do know some low guys like nesbitt in 2007. But that was fewer and he was not 590.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
according to the article...it says since 2009 enrolled or enrollees; and documents the data as enrolled freshman starting in 2009.....re read it. I think it was clear it defines it as enrollees from 2009 - 2014

But maybe not. In any event i would expect that kid likely under cpj than chan as under chan there was more lockdown due to flunk gate under him and cpj got more leeway in that timeframe eventually.

Although. I do know some low guys like nesbitt in 2007. But that was fewer and he was not 590.

Well I can tell you for a fact that the player was on the 2009 team but wasn't a freshman that year. He was enrolled in 2009 though. It was my understanding back in 2014 when this story hit it included the SAT scores of everyone on the team at that point.