About the MBS v. BDS@HGF

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I guess the opposition doesn’t want to lose one of their conference home games for a game that’s a stone’s throw away from us, so I can see why it may be complicated on the scheduling end to have it without costing us a home game, but, as you said, we shouldn’t agree to that unless the benefits outweigh losing that home game. I suppose we’ll never know the hard numbers.

If our program decides to keep the MBS thing going after this initial contract is up, I would prefer we try and make a deal with UGA than cost us a conference home game. We haven’t beaten UGA in BDS this century and they fill up BDS anyway, so I feel playing on a dawg-packed MBS every year wouldn’t be much different. UGA would probably never agree to it, though. Why lose a home game every other year, when you haven’t lost an away game in the series since 1999?
Sounds like a good idea to me and I think they might go for it. They could squeeze in 16,000 more of their barking ruffians. Better a sea of red in MBS than a sea of red at Hyundai Field.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
The whole reason for playing at MBS 1x a yr is for financial benefit to the GTAA. There' no other rhyme or reason for it. It's strictly financial. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I also realize our athletic department is basically bottom of the barrel when it comes to fundraising etc.... the whole reason we went after JBATT so hard was the need to raise money and someone who knew how. We're stuck with this deal for the foreseeable future

I’ve heard this before. Does anyone have financial context for the net benefit of substituting a game at MBS in lieu of BDS?

I’m just curious the magnitude of increased revenue. I wonder if this covers the cost of the coaching search firm last year, lol.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’ve heard this before. Does anyone have financial context for the net benefit of substituting a game at MBS in lieu of BDS?

I’m just curious the magnitude of increased revenue. I wonder if this covers the cost of the coaching search firm last year, lol.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow

Thanks for sharing that. It’s not chump change; I may not like it but it’s good to see the financial impact.

I’m guessing the Louisville game went under projections (lots of seats listed cheaply on StubHub). But the Notre Dame game next year will be a crowd based on their fanbase.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for sharing that. It’s not chump change; I may not like it but it’s good to see the financial impact.

I’m guessing the Louisville game went under projections (lots of seats listed cheaply on StubHub). But the Notre Dame game next year will be a crowd based on their fanbase.

Oh man, I didn’t realize the ND game is at MDZ next year. That might as well be an away game for us.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
StubHub is a resellers market. Those tickets were sold at full price initially.

Agree, but my thought was that GT was forced to sell or purchase about 38k tickets based on the contract with MBS. So if initial demand is less than 38k tickets from GT, they’re forced to buy the remainder and try to recoup losses on StubHub? (That’s how I’m interpreting the financial impact)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, GT reported the game as sold out through them. My guess is that stub hub is filled with the tickets bought by uga fans since the uga game is at BDS this year.
I think GT bought a lot of the tickets as well. I was given two tickets for free by the ME school.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
There we go. I suspect those projections were made before beer sales at BDS, so the net lift has probably diminished a bit, but it is likely still very accretive to GTAA.