About the MBS v. BDS@HGF

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I've often wondered about why we would ever want to play a game at Mercedes Benz Stadium.

It feels like we are giving up our true home field advantage. And for the Georgia game, we're simply selling more tickets to UGA fans so we're sure to be outnumbered (seems to happen at BDS, also!).

Is there a financial incentive for Tech? (And how will Hyundai feel about us playing in Mercedes Benz Stadium instead of at Hyundai Field??)

And doesn't this arrangement run out next year after the Notre Dame game? Should the venue be renewed?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've often wondered about why we would ever want to play a game at Mercedes Benz Stadium.

It feels like we are giving up our true home field advantage. And for the Georgia game, we're simply selling more tickets to UGA fans so we're sure to be outnumbered (seems to happen at BDS, also!).

Is there a financial incentive for Tech? (And how will Hyundai feel about us playing in Mercedes Benz Stadium instead of at Hyundai Field??)

And doesn't this arrangement run out next year after the Notre Dame game? Should the venue be renewed?

It was a big marketing push by team Stansbury/Collins. They wanted the limelight on GT...and I think someone pointed out that the math actually makes it financially beneficial for GT.

Secret_AznMan

Georgia Tech Fan
It was a big marketing push by team Stansbury/Collins. They wanted the limelight on GT...and I think someone pointed out that the math actually makes it financially beneficial for GT.
Does the math work out when they only sell the 100 and 200 level, like they have for every edition since we signed the deal?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

We most likely do it because there are more suites and club seats to sell. Theoretically they crunched the numbers that the corporate seats can justify the rent we have to play to play not in our building.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They sold almost none of the front 7 rows of the club sections for tonight. Going to be a bad look on TV.
Officially, I though all the tickets had been sold. I really don't get how this works. They said it was a sellout, yet there are oodles of tickets available on Ticketmaster for under the original price. Who buys these tickets and then sells them for a loss?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Officially, I though all the tickets had been sold. I really don't get how this works. They said it was a sellout, yet there are oodles of tickets available on Ticketmaster for under the original price. Who buys these tickets and then sells them for a loss?
I think Georgia Tech sold a bunch at $500 to corporate sales, then "purchased themselves" a bunch at $500 and relisted for lower. If you look at the pricing row-by-row, it's very systematic, dropping by a very static amount with every little bit you go back. I'm just taking a shot in the dark here though, I'm not sure anyone knows the secret sauce. I do know Georgia Tech throttles supply for BDS/McCamish games and opens seats up as needed.

Secret_AznMan

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Georgia Tech sold a bunch at $500 to corporate sales, then "purchased themselves" a bunch at $500 and relisted for lower. If you look at the pricing row-by-row, it's very systematic, dropping by a very static amount with every little bit you go back. I'm just taking a shot in the dark here though, I'm not sure anyone knows the secret sauce. I do know Georgia Tech throttles supply for BDS/McCamish games and opens seats up as needed.
Maybe the school shouldn't tell everyone the tickets are sold out and the only way to guarantee access to the game is to get season tickets. :clown:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There are plenty of tickets available in the upper level (the most upper level sold at this event, anyway) for ~ $30. These aren't corporate seats.

Secret_AznMan

Georgia Tech Fan
There are plenty of tickets available in the upper level (the most upper level sold at this event, anyway) for ~ $30. These aren't corporate seats.
Not counting Club seats, I think those are Louisville's allotment that they couldn't sell to STHs. Tech's side has few 200 levels available.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
1. MBS sucks. The seating is too steep, the snack/drink stands are too far apart, the johns are hard to find, and the approaches to even the expensive seats are like a trek to the Gobi desert. I've gone to two events there, including the 2017 UT game. I don't plan to go again. Even for Taylor Swift.

2. Yes, leave the stadium alone. Let's hope Tech can avoid the Curse of the New AD; i.e. building some new and and redundant facility so that Batt can point to it and say he did something. Tech is carrying enough debt as it is.

Secret_AznMan

Georgia Tech Fan
NOOOO!!!! I love it up there.

What needs to happen is we start winning and having sell out crowds (as in the stadium is full, not a bunch of fans that have sold out) fill up the stands!
I don’t think they were even that full when we had our best team (2014).

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
ESPN has been doing a good job covering this game. No wide angle shots of the stadium and they’ve only been zooming into the student groups when Tech scores etc.

But they just did the first wide shot for an instant and MBS looks awful. The stadium is looking almost empty so all you see is a dominant red of all the empty seats.

Looks like a UGA game.

I hope we get out of this MBS arrangement as soon as possible.