About the MBS v. BDS@HGF

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I can sort of understand the nostalgia effect on fan perception of BDS, but I don’t see why so many hate on MBS. MBS is routinely rated among the best NFL stadiums. Compared to BDS, MBS has

- better, more comfortable seats that are actually angled toward the field
- vastly more food and beverage options with higher overall quality
- cheaper food and beverage
- better public transit integration
- better parking (nothing at Tech compares to red or silver deck > field level)
- a video board you can actually see from any seat

Not to mention the kids seem to love playing there, it gets us national TV coverage, and the money is near certainly better

BDS is a dump, it’s our dump so I get it, but I wish we played more games at the Benz

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I can sort of understand the nostalgia effect on fan perception of BDS, but I don’t see why so many hate on MBS. MBS is routinely rated among the best NFL stadiums. Compared to BDS, MBS has

Not to mention the kids seem to love playing there, it gets us national TV coverage, and the money is near certainly better

BDS is a dump, it’s our dump so I get it, but I wish we played more games at the Benz
The bds sight lines are excellent.
I wonder how gt and atl business could use the land under bds if- Long ago - we got to play our 6 home games a year in atlanta dome ( like u of h in astrodome).

Last edited:

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow

The entire place is painted red and black?

It looks like a UGA game.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
The entire place is painted red and black?

It looks like a UGA game.

Considering the colors for both home teams of the stadium are red and black, this seems like a silly complaint. Everyone know it’s the Falcons stadium.

Personally, I the MBS is a pretty nice place to watch a game. The food is both relatively cheap and pretty solid(both for concession standards) and I’ve watched a game from pretty much every basic area and haven’t found a bad spot, yet. The players love playing there and it seems to add an extra emphasis to the game from a TV standpoint(every game we have played there has been prime time). Both of those things help recruiting, in theory and, if we win those games, can help the perception of the program. The problem is we are not holding up our end of the bargain(I believe we are 1-4 in the stadium). Also, one has to wonder if all those positives are worth giving up a home game a year. There’s no way as many Louisville fans would have shown up if it was at BDS and the Gameday atmosphere is neutral(Jumbotron calling for both teams to scream defense etc). Overall, I think these games are more fun than not and, in theory, can be a good tool for recruiting.

Having said all of that, nothing beats BDS. My parents who are both mutts even agree BDS is the best stadium to watch a game.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Cons - my experiences at least…

Season ticket holders get shafted. Very good seats at BDS translate to crappy seats at MBS.

We’re allegedly the home team (Only 3 ACC games played at BDS) but stadium ambience is geared to neutrality. Away team seems to get bigger / better ticket allotment than they’d get at BDS.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Season ticket holders get shafted. Very good seats at BDS translate to crappy seats at MBS.

We’re allegedly the home team (Only 3 ACC games played at BDS) but stadium ambience is geared to neutrality. Away team seems to get bigger / better ticket allotment than they’d get at BDS.
Would be interesting to see what our contract terms are. Specifically, if we (Tstan?) knowingly signed off on giving up a home game at BDS for a neutral site atmosphere at MBS. I hope the $$ benefit was large.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Would be interesting to see what our contract terms are. Specifically, if we (Tstan?) knowingly signed off on giving up a home game at BDS for a neutral site atmosphere at MBS. I hope the $$ benefit was large.

I guess the opposition doesn’t want to lose one of their conference home games for a game that’s a stone’s throw away from us, so I can see why it may be complicated on the scheduling end to have it without costing us a home game, but, as you said, we shouldn’t agree to that unless the benefits outweigh losing that home game. I suppose we’ll never know the hard numbers.

If our program decides to keep the MBS thing going after this initial contract is up, I would prefer we try and make a deal with UGA than cost us a conference home game. We haven’t beaten UGA in BDS this century and they fill up BDS anyway, so I feel playing on a dawg-packed MBS every year wouldn’t be much different. UGA would probably never agree to it, though. Why lose a home game every other year, when you haven’t lost an away game in the series since 1999?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Agree to disagree.

BDS has much better sight lines
Video board is MUCH easier to view
Acoustics are MUCH better at BDS making for a better atmosphere
Food is easier to get to at BDS
Smaller venue is MUCH easier for entry and exit

I get the money part snd the players liking it better, but I hate MBS and would sell any free tickets I am given to that stadium that don’t involve GT

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Agree completely. My seats ar BDS are FAR superior to MBS. I hate that stadium

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
When you say "HGF" you could be saying Hyundai Grant Field. It's more succinct to say "Budweiser" but not everyone gets that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

IIUC, this is because of the way the tickets are distributed. The home team, us, get the lions share, but after the away teams allotment there are also the CFA Kickoff Game allotment, which is not controlled by either school. This is one reason why after the GT tickets say sellout there are still available tickets to be bought to the game. Since GT fans rarely buy out their own allotment, away teams that travel well buy up the CFA allotment and crowd us out.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It’s 10/21 before we play a home game against anyone worth watching. If we lose all of the competitive road games (Ole Piss, Wake and da U) we’d be 2-4 playing our first home game against BC. That would be a disaster.

I’m pretty sure we have the latest real home opener of anyone in the country and it’s probably not even close.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It’s 10/21 before we play a home game against anyone worth watching. If we lose all of the competitive road games (Ole Piss, Wake and da U) we’d be 2-4 playing our first home game against BC. That would be a disaster.

I’m pretty sure we have the latest real home opener of anyone in the country and it’s probably not even close.
Yea, wake is big.
Maybe Mia will implode .

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I envy your confidence. We’ve been so bad for so long that I would label every opponent “worth watching”. lol

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech is giving away tickets. I can buy $3 tickets right now at SeatGeek.

I never saw this kind of discount as a student in the 2000s. It’s crazy.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I've often wondered about why we would ever want to play a game at Mercedes Benz Stadium.

It feels like we are giving up our true home field advantage. And for the Georgia game, we're simply selling more tickets to UGA fans so we're sure to be outnumbered (seems to happen at BDS, also!).

Is there a financial incentive for Tech? (And how will Hyundai feel about us playing in Mercedes Benz Stadium instead of at Hyundai Field??)

And doesn't this arrangement run out next year after the Notre Dame game? Should the venue be renewed?
The whole reason for playing at MBS 1x a yr is for financial benefit to the GTAA. There' no other rhyme or reason for it. It's strictly financial. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I also realize our athletic department is basically bottom of the barrel when it comes to fundraising etc.... the whole reason we went after JBATT so hard was the need to raise money and someone who knew how. We're stuck with this deal for the foreseeable future

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The whole reason for playing at MBS 1x a yr is for financial benefit to the GTAA. There' no other rhyme or reason for it. It's strictly financial. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I also realize our athletic department is basically bottom of the barrel when it comes to fundraising etc.... the whole reason we went after JBATT so hard was the need to raise money and someone who knew how. We're stuck with this deal for the foreseeable future

Add to this it also aids in recruiting. HS athletes love the idea of playing in pro stadiums on national TV.