A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
And if we recruit like O'Leary and Gailey....we will be a 7 win team on average with a few good seasons and a few bad....just like those two were.
Are you kidding us? If we recruit like those two coaches we’ll be in the hunt for the Coastal every year. Then we can see what kind of coach Collins is. So far all we know is that Collins can’t win P5 games with G5 type players. We gave Gailey several years to recruit and coach. Collins deserves the same time. And I’d take Patenaude over Nix every Saturday.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
What you really miss is the ability to be ranked if you win 7 or 8 games. That doesn't exist anymore. Even if you win 9 games these days you probably wont be ranked.
No my point is being ranked not the number of wins. We were relevant in college football.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What you really miss is the ability to be ranked if you win 7 or 8 games. That doesn't exist anymore. Even if you win 9 games these days you probably wont be ranked.
This is mostly true. In the final 2019 AP poll, there were only three teams with less than 10 wins: #14 Auburn (9-4), #18 Michigan (9-4) and #25 Texas (8-5). The teams in the final AP poll last year averaged 11.28 wins...
This has way more to do with scheduling than it does the state of college football. O’Leary’s teams only played 11 game schedules and the ACC Championship game didn’t exist. Now every team plays 12 games, with the best teams playing as many as 15. With bowl expansions almost everybody plays 13, and conference championship games ensure that 20 teams will play at least 14 games.
Everybody that finished ranked last year played at least 13 games, and 12 of the top 25 played 14 games.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Consider what GOL inherited. If the results GOL achieved after years 1 and 2 are not satisfactory you probably won't like anybody we trot out there. His last 3 years we were competitive against FSU which is equivalent of being competitive with Clemson over the last several years. LIke CPJ, he couldn't solve the defensive issues. But he did keep us from reaching the lows. I for one would be happy with another CGOL.

I am not sure GOL would have not had the lows if he had been here 11 years. I mean think about it. If johnson had retired in 2014 after the he would have had one losing season (2010) and one exactly 500 season the rest were all winning seasons and averaged you guessed it. over 7 wins.

Jolly Good Fellow
No SEC school would ever touch Paul with a 10 foot pole. It would take them 10 years to recover.
You realize Paul is 63 yrs old and rich.... he isn't coaching anywhere again....
But he could take the Vandy (SEC school) job, sign James Graham, and win 5 next year and 7 the next.... Vanderbilt would build him a statue outside Dudley Field.
Paul's time at GT had run out and I like Geoff going forward but Vandy folks would ask you, "10 years to recover from what?"

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Watching a little bit of Louisville and Syracuse. We lost to Syracuse. Syracuse. I gotta nominate Collins for most overrated. If he is rated at all, he is overrated. Sorry...

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Watching a little bit of Louisville and Syracuse. We lost to Syracuse. Syracuse. I gotta nominate Collins for most overrated. If he is rated at all, he is overrated. Sorry...
Syracuse is also playing their 2nd and 3rd string QB. They were down 6 to Clemson at the end of the third qtr with their backup QB.

You realize Paul is 63 yrs old and rich.... he isn't coaching anywhere again....
But he could take the Vandy (SEC school) job, sign James Graham, and win 5 next year and 7 the next.... Vanderbilt would build him a statue outside Dudley Field.
Paul's time at GT had run out and I like Geoff going forward but Vandy folks would ask you, "10 years to recover from what?"
In this Modern Day Era of "The Portal" as soon as our Previous HC is announced at Vandy, the outgoing Portal would be full, he'd have 15 Players left behind willing to play for him

There was no Portal back in Dec 2007

Hiring a Triple Option HC in the Portal Era is like a mini Death Penalty, he'll scare away too many Players, without the ability to sign better players to replace them

This isn't to be confused with what Leach is doing at Miss State, he has 18 guys opt for the Portal since he was hired, gotta churn the Roster get to your Guys in there to win

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Johnson would probably only coach at a few places. And it would only be because he wanted to not because he had to. I think he'd take an academy job again if he could.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Sets your roster back light years in the ACC, imagine an SEC trying to recover and their 3-4 seasons with Triple Option players after.

Jolly Good Fellow
In this Modern Day Era of "The Portal" as soon as our Previous HC is announced at Vandy, the outgoing Portal would be full, he'd have 15 Players left behind willing to play for him

There was no Portal back in Dec 2007

Hiring a Triple Option HC in the Portal Era is like a mini Death Penalty, he'll scare away too many Players, without the ability to sign better players to replace them

This isn't to be confused with what Leach is doing at Miss State, he has 18 guys opt for the Portal since he was hired, gotta churn the Roster get to your Guys in there to win
Juice
I'm sure you are "big-picture" correct regarding "The Portal".....For 99% of P5 schools, the TO would scare away too many current offensive skill position players. I will point out, however, that defensive players don't portal-out because their team changes offensive coordinators....
But the real point I was trying to make to Steam was that a) Paul is 63.... he isn't coaching again...ever.. He always hated sitting in living rooms with 16 yr olds... and b) Vandy is SEC school that would kill to average 6 wins/yr.. which Paul's TO would do...

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget that the 12 game season started in 2006.
While this is true (except for 2001 when we did play 13), it doesn't really change much. At least two of those years wouldn't have a chance of finishing in the top 25 today. Another one would be close if you give him an extra win. It's not so much the number of wins as the credibility given to smaller programs these days. Far more smaller programs are finishing ranked every year than in the past.