A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think TStan has any mandate other than to keep the alumni base happy and giving money. If we go 7-5 every year, TStan will be there a long time.

But ...

He is betting the farm that he can get the big donors to up the ante at the expense of the current fanbase. I think that's dangerous. Younger alumni do not give money or buy tickets in the volume that the older alumni do and that's fact, not opinion. If TStan and Geoff are wrong ... we're Vandy. For a very long time.
This. The reality is and has always been that we are closer to Vandy, Stanford, and gasp the Academies than to Clemson, UGA, UNC, etc... I wish I had a nickel for every story in the AJC about how GT was going to try to bring in local ticket buyers who weren’t GT fans. It just doesn’t happen and all the ATL and 404 gear won’t change that. We are who we are, and I’m good with that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I said it when CPJ retired, and I'll reiterate it now, but TStan's and GT footballs future was never in jeopardy with this hire. We can afford to get this hire wrong in terms of wins and losses as long as the process of the rebuild is done well. If by year 5-7 we still aren't winning more than 5-6 games, it won't really matter much in terms of the future. As long as CGC does what he was hired to do, which is fix our "brand" and move the recruiting needle, then his years here will be successful if for nothing else than to set the foundation for the next coach, which would absolutely be the most critical hire that TStan and GT need to get right. In December 2018 we weren't an attractive job, as few coaches really had any interest in taking on this rebuild, but if we stockpile some talent and get our image out there, more quality coaches will be willing to give us a shot next time around. It's far easier to come in and build a team already stocked with the kinds of talent GT is recruiting now vs the more unique talent pool we had acquired under CPJ.

None of this is to say that CGC won't succeed here, or that TStan didn't expect him to, as I believe TStan has faith that CGC is the right guy to win at GT sooner rather than later. Rather, this is merely pointing out that our future isn't completely dependent on the overall success of CGC.
You may be right. Geoff was hired to run into the burning building. If he saves the dog and the pictures, he’s a hero.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And it also matter on how we are losing these game.

I get the "This is the greatest sports transformation in the history of the planet." .... the Gladiators moving from being eaten by tigers to being eaten by lions. Peach baskets. The forward pass. And ... Tech football moving away from the TO. Volumes will be written. Statues erected. Holidays celebrated.

The reality is that as the talent gap closes, Tech will win games based on the hidden yardages ... kickoff returns, punt returns, interception returns. When you look like everyone else ... you better have an edge. I don't think Geoff has an edge. But then again .... he may not have been hired to win .... but hired to make the transition.

Who knows?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he’s in a no win situation. Tech is probably the least demanding job in the country other than Vanderbilt.

If he isn’t enforcing standards, what message does that send? Not a good one.
Anyone who actually gets fired at Tech probably deserved to get fired a couple of years earlier. Coach Collins will be here until TStan absolutely has to make a change. The worst thing to do is to fire some coach with a huge buyout like South Carolina did with Champ.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Anyone who actually gets fired at Tech probably deserved to get fired a couple of years earlier. Coach Collins will be here until TStan absolutely has to make a change. The worst thing to do is to fire some coach with a huge buyout like South Carolina did with Champ.
I am always baffled as to how most programs don't seem to have money to upgrade facilities or raise salary pool for assistant coaches but ALWAYS seem to find money for buyouts. Seems like a poor method of investing in your program.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I am always baffled as to how most programs don't seem to have money to upgrade facilities or raise salary pool for assistant coaches but ALWAYS seem to find money for buyouts. Seems like a poor method of investing in your program.
It seems to me that Tech has a history of making bad financial decisions.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Where did I say anything about my standards? Or grabbing a player by the face mask? You can quote me if you want because I didn't.

Collins has to have his own standards .. one he believes will make his team deliver the results he thinks is appropriate. Does he? Who knows ... he doesn't talk about it. He's very vague on the issue and talks in platitudes. Maybe he does ... I just don't know. I do know Saban has standards. Saban has standards for dress codes, ability to speak properly (and how to be interviewed), how to conduct yourselves, etc. I know Pruitt has standards because I heard him talk about what is expected to play at UT ... "This" is what we expect and if you can't do it, then ... we have to make a change. And he did.

Cremins had standards. His practices were detailed and hundreds of reps. And he pretty much only played 6 players ... because that was his belief system.

Geoff seems like a good guy. Just don't ask him to speak in specifics.
So you don’t like Collins because he doesn’t give a press conference the way you want him to. Okay. That’s one way to judge a person in his profession. We all know all these fun conversations come down to one thing - will he win games? We may not know until 2022 so until then we can continue to dissect EVERYTHING. My position is simple - I support the GT head football coach no matter who it is. And I use common sense to figure out why we lose plays and games. Sometimes I’m frustrated with the coaches and sometimes I’m frustrated with the players. For Collins, I’m giving him all the time in the world to recruit because I spent season after season watching our small and weak team get physically manhandled. We have a QB now like most high level teams have and have another one coming next year. We have RB’s that any team would want. Defense we suck just like most teams outside the top 10. We have the worse kicking in the history of college football. But, we finally have a coach who can relate to the modern athlete and isn’t seen as “grandpa”. We tried a Chan from the 1940s and a Johnson from the 1950s. If we gave those guys 6plus years then Collins deserves the same.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So you don’t like Collins because he doesn’t give a press conference the way you want him to. Okay. That’s one way to judge a person in his profession. We all know all these fun conversations come down to one thing - will he win games? We may not know until 2022 so until then we can continue to dissect EVERYTHING. My position is simple - I support the GT head football coach no matter who it is. And I use common sense to figure out why we lose plays and games. Sometimes I’m frustrated with the coaches and sometimes I’m frustrated with the players. For Collins, I’m giving him all the time in the world to recruit because I spent season after season watching our small and weak team get physically manhandled. We have a QB now like most high level teams have and have another one coming next year. We have RB’s that any team would want. Defense we suck just like most teams outside the top 10. We have the worse kicking in the history of college football. But, we finally have a coach who can relate to the modern athlete and isn’t seen as “grandpa”. We tried a Chan from the 1940s and a Johnson from the 1950s. If we gave those guys 6plus years then Collins deserves the same.

Did I say I judge his ability to coach based on his press conferences? No. I said he was vague.

Do I support GT? I have for 40 years. Well into six figures. We can all get on a high horse and talk about this or that, I'm just sharing my experiences with what I've seen across multiple endeavors. I did not support Geoff's hiring, but ... he's the coach and that's that.

I do not think we can get a better coach. We don't have the fan base nor do we have the resources. But ... it also doesn't mean I can't form an opinion about his style and management approach because being a head coach is about management as much as it is athletics. Just my two cents.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I get the "This is the greatest sports transformation in the history of the planet." .... the Gladiators moving from being eaten by tigers to being eaten by lions. Peach baskets. The forward pass. And ... Tech football moving away from the TO. Volumes will be written. Statues erected. Holidays celebrated.

The reality is that as the talent gap closes, Tech will win games based on the hidden yardages ... kickoff returns, punt returns, interception returns. When you look like everyone else ... you better have an edge. I don't think Geoff has an edge. But then again .... he may not have been hired to win .... but hired to make the transition.

Who knows?

V,
I thought like you on the all around "hidden positives" he will bring UNTIL--the disaster which is the kicking game the last TWO (not one ) yrs. Very close to the WORST in college fball. I'll bet you could have coached better--just by reading a manual.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It seems to me that Tech has a history of making bad financial decisions.

After my small edit, I 100% agree. To think our issues can be solved solely by a scheme, a coach or a smattering of assistants is like thinking the bottom line of Delta Airlines can be significantly improved by the baggage claims manager at the Des Moines airport. We have taken years to get to where we are.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
V,
I thought like you on the all around "hidden positives" he will bring UNTIL--the disaster which is the kicking game the last TWO (not one ) yrs. Very close to the WORST in college fball. I'll bet you could have coached better--just by reading a manual.
I’ve read almost every book from a winning coach. And every one stresses the kicking game. Parcells said it best.

So I read how we can make all these changes and quote become some power.....in the last 50 years no team has stayed a power year in and year out. Fla State was the power in the ACC....look at them now. We have had great years good years mediocre and bad....like 99% of the rest of the teams out there. I just think those on the Swarm that think Tech can be some kind of power are kids. Even in the Dodd years we had losing seasons. Fact is fact....as long as we have good coaching and a decent team....we are on average a 7 win team. Ask Vandy Arksnsas etc if they would like that kind of record.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So I read how we can make all these changes and quote become some power.....in the last 50 years no team has stayed a power year in and year out. Fla State was the power in the ACC....look at them now. We have had great years good years mediocre and bad....like 99% of the rest of the teams out there. I just think those on the Swarm that think Tech can be some kind of power are kids. Even in the Dodd years we had losing seasons. Fact is fact....as long as we have good coaching and a decent team....we are on average a 7 win team. Ask Vandy Arksnsas etc if they would like that kind of record.

But that's it, isn't it? Be happy with 7-5. I think you are right.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Give me a 7 win team the majority of years, we’ll have a couple of bad years, and every 10 years or so we’ll have a 10 win team. That’s been our path outside of the BL era. Back to back terrible seasons (with the COVID discount) are not par for the course. Hope for better days but color me skeptical. And no, CGC, we aren’t going to recruit at a high level on an extended basis. It’s just not feasible and the things we’d have to do to make it so aren’t something I’d like to sign up for.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Give me a 7 win team the majority of years, we’ll have a couple of bad years, and every 10 years or so we’ll have a 10 win team. That’s been our path outside of the BL era. Back to back terrible seasons (with the COVID discount) are not par for the course. Hope for better days but color me skeptical. And no, CGC, we aren’t going to recruit at a high level on an extended basis. It’s just not feasible and the things we’d have to do to make it so aren’t something I’d like to sign up for.
Never thought so many Tech people had such a defeatist attitude. We may never be what Clemson is today. But if all we strive to be is 7-5 with a good year every once in a while why bother? If we aren’t trying to move up in the college football hierarchy we should drop the sport.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have never seen anyone post that Collins is going to recruit with the factories. That’s just message board folklore that those of you who don’t like Collins throws out there as if any of us believe that. The truth is that in the recent past under O’Leary and Gailey we did recruit a lot of NFL players and had depth. That all went away with Johnson. To think Collins can’t recruit to that level is just not being honest since he is already doing it. Gibbs is the best recruit GT has signed since Calvin Johnson. No one can dispute that and it took all of a half of his first game for the entire sports world to notice. Sims is going to be special as well. A lot of QB’s struggle against Clemson, BC, and ND. I’m just perplexed why a bunch of highly successful people aren‘t willing to give him time. We gave Johnson 11 years and y’all are ready to turn on your coach after 1 season. That’s just being a bad fan. But I guarantee y’all will be here cheering when he starts to win.