A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Well, yeah. What, 10 jobs in 22 years? Including his desertion as defensive coordinator of Mississippi State before the 2015 Orange Bowl game to take the same job at Florida? I'm sure Dan Mullen remembered that after Tech rolled over MSU. Collins is the classic example of one year of experience 10 times vs. 10 years of experience. (And I am pretty sure his "brief stint" here was two years ... his average everywhere he went, including Temple. And believe me: if it gets too hot and a better opportunity arises, his "dream job" will be on wheels out of town.)

lol promotions are frowned upon now

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sorry, are you implying that GTAA expectations are 8 wins by year 5, or are you just making a statement? Want to clarify b/c your post switched from your source to more blanket statements and it was difficult to determine whether that came from you or your source. Personally perspective, if we haven’t hit 8 wins by year 5, Collins’ seat will be extraordinarily hot. In fact, based on contract extension processes, he may be gone if he can’t get to 8 wins in his first four years. It would obviously depend on whether he was winning 7 per year or 3 per year immediately prior.

No, the 8 wins by year 5 is more blanket statement. I'll never get my guy to lock down on an actual "expected win" total. :ROFLMAO:

That being said, there is a LOT of patience not only within the GTAA but within the major donor base for CGC right now. (from my source) As long as we are seeing upward trajectory by year 5, I don't think CGC will be on any hot seat except here in message board land. The general feeling I get is that he will have at least 4-5 years to get his system in before the pressure gets turned up on him, but I don't think any specific win total will be the measuring stick. If we aren't bowl eligible by then all bets are off. (my opinion)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
lol promotions are frowned upon now
A promotion? Every two years? Another way to look at it would be that it took only two years before performance did not match reputation and he had to move on. I hired a couple of guys like that in my time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No, the 8 wins by year 5 is more blanket statement. I'll never get my guy to lock down on an actual "expected win" total. :ROFLMAO:

As long as we are seeing upward trajectory by year 5, I don't think CGC will be on any hot seat except here in message board land. ...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
By year 5? He better be past "upward trajectory". Hell, we won WWII, fighting two fronts, in less than four years. And he is just a ball coach.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
A promotion? Every two years? Another way to look at it would be that it took only two years before performance did not match reputation and he had to move on. I hired a couple of guys like that in my time.
Every new job he’s taken has been a step up. That’s what a promotion is. “Did not match reputation” doesn’t even make sense. If anything he was making his reputation better.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Every new job he’s taken has been a step up. That’s what a promotion is. “Did not match reputation” doesn’t even make sense. If anything he was making his reputation better.
That's probably why he was in such great demand as a head ball coach.

slugboy

Staff member
That's probably why he was in such great demand as a head ball coach.
Temple has been a launching pad for coaches over much of the last decade. Manny Diaz accepted the Temple HC job after Collins accepted GT because he wanted his shot too, and it was a good place for a coach to be—it was only because of Richt’s retirement that he’s at UM right now. Collins was viewed as an up and comer, and the surprise was mainly that he got his P5 shot a year or two earlier than people thought.
I don’t understand the position you just staked out. There were two advantages we had in the year we hired Collins—not many HC vacancies that year, and Collins wanted to be here. Why do you think he wasn’t in demand?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Those feelings would come up with whoever we hired. We could have hired Saban and after a few losses the mantra would have been “this is his retirement job and he’s over the hill”. As a supporter of GT all I can do is help our coach and not bad mouth the program. Bad mouthing wont convince the next Calvin or Gibbs to sign here. I’ve never understood why college fanbases voice so much negative energy about their own team. The pro‘s I understand because you don’t have to convince and hope a player signs. You own them thru the draft. But in college to just rip your own team publicly then wonder why all the top talent goes to other teams has always struck me. A self fulfilling cycle of suck. We as GT should trust our AD to make the right call. Right now nothing matters except recruiting.
Agree completely. There was someone who used to post regularly, over on FTRS, who kept up a steady rant about Tech recruiting starting in 2010. I always wondered why the response of a Tech fan, to negative recruiting by our rivals, was to take the side of our rivals. Did not strike me as helpful to the program and it amplified the negative propaganda.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Temple has been a launching pad for coaches over much of the last decade. Manny Diaz accepted the Temple HC job after Collins accepted GT because he wanted his shot too, and it was a good place for a coach to be—it was only because of Richt’s retirement that he’s at UM right now. Collins was viewed as an up and comer, and the surprise was mainly that he got his P5 shot a year or two earlier than people thought.
I don’t understand the position you just staked out. There were two advantages we had in the year we hired Collins—not many HC vacancies that year, and Collins wanted to be here. Why do you think he wasn’t in demand?
I did a half-baked search -- Google and I warily circle each other -- and frankly was surprised at the number of names I recognized, though it was unclear whether my search netted all football coaches or just the head guy. One name that jumped at me was Ryan Day. Maybe because he made such a jerk of himself in that NC semi-final against Clemson, a game OSU lost because he got flat-out outcoached on both sides of the ball mainly because he spent the game whining about officials. I assume it is the same guy.

The "in demand" I got from a Temple message board, so I guess a grain of salt is needed. But the "dream job" he referenced bothers me because while I have been a Tech fan all my life, literally, I've never been fooled about where we stand in the grand scheme. I've always been content with that so his claim makes me wonder.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The "in demand" I got from a Temple message board, so I guess a grain of salt is needed. But the "dream job" he referenced bothers me because while I have been a Tech fan all my life, literally, I've never been fooled about where we stand in the grand scheme. I've always been content with that so his claim makes me wonder.

I guess you come by your board psuedonym honestly. I had a dream job once before and now do again. To me a "dream job" is the whole enchilada of location, work environment,responsibilties, compensation, benefits. It didn't have to be CEO of Coca Cola or Google. For CGC, it's a known brand, close to home, well paying, located in an area that is passionate about college FB, a coach here is not going to get run out of town if he goes 4 years without a NC or even a conference championship, etc. It may not be your dream job. But I am comfortable with him saying it is his.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I guess you come by your board psuedonym honestly. I had a dream job once before and now do again. To me a "dream job" is the whole enchilada of location, work environment,responsibilties, compensation, benefits. It didn't have to be CEO of Coca Cola or Google. For CGC, it's a known brand, close to home, well paying, located in an area that is passionate about college FB, a coach here is not going to get run out of town if he goes 4 years without a NC or even a conference championship, etc. It may not be your dream job. But I am comfortable with him saying it is his.
This is also my feeling about him. He may not be successful at GT if we use the "competing for the ACC championship every year" measure. We may never be that kind of program as long as the "biggest pile of money wins the most games" era is intact. But he seems genuinely happy being the HC at Tech and I am willing to give him room for the project at hand.

On another note, I was a fan of Paul Johnson's offense and when he had enough talented players it was an almost unstoppable system. That said, I am happy for the transition and will not miss the comments about how he never uses a play sheet. Nor will I miss the games where teams like Duke and Virginia were running up 40 points on our D. That is past and I want to us to be looking to the future. All the arguments both for and against the TO, or its impact on recruiting, are just barroom talk.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is also my feeling about him. He may not be successful at GT if we use the "competing for the ACC championship every year" measure. We may never be that kind of program as long as the "biggest pile of money wins the most games" era is intact. But he seems genuinely happy being the HC at Tech and I am willing to give him room for the project at hand.

There is also another component that makes the GT job attractive to some type of men - the fact that most people believe it can't be done.

In the work world, I noticed there are/were people who wanted to be promoted - but only if the next rung up wasn't messy or difficult. Some people want to take over at Bama or Ohio State and just keep things between the lines. Not mess things up too bad. Others wanted the jobs that were hard and difficult because that's were you could stand out and make your reputation. I asked a fellow engineer about this - why he always accepted jobs or duties that no one else seemed to want. He told me "'there are no hills for a climber". It has always stuck with me over many, many years. Maybe CGC sees the real challenges - and is willing to tackle them instead of waiting for a "better" job. Most coaches can win at Bama. The great ones take the downtrodden programs (think of long ago Kansas State, FSU, Miami, Wisconsin programs) and turn them into "dream jobs" for others.