A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We almost lost our best player due to Monken. Let him stay at the academies.

i laughed at the Wisconsin example. Since 2015, they have 21 players drafted. That is the reason they are a perennial 9-10 win team
Is it because they recruit well or do they just go a great job of developing players?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Rumor was that Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) was extremely interested but never got a chance or interview.
Tony Elliott may one day be a successful hc somewhere.However, outside of a very brief stop at Furman and SC State, he has been at Clemson as a player and coach. I think he needs to leave the comfort of home and get some other experience to develop as a coach. I don't think his resume is very well rounded at this point and more experience outside of Clemson may help him climb the ladder. The way Clemson does things is not the way that most programs operate. Let him coordinate at Pitt or be a HC at Bowling Green to see how he does apart from the incredible Clemson infrastructure.

What I liked about CGC was his exposure to different programs, including a brief stint here. All of them want to be HC's. It's part of their DNA as competitors. It was part of our DNA ast students and engineers and why we chose GT. We wanted to show we could compete at the highest level. I thought the fact Geoff had been here probably made him more aware of the unique challenges that maybe his predessecors lacked. I know that we are waiting to see how this unfolds here but if CGC isn't the right guy, that doesn't mean that Tony Elliott was a better qualified candidate for the job at the time the decision was made.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I absolutely agree with this. It is also the case that assistant coaches might have reasons for wanting to stay where they are or to only leave for a particular future job that none of us knows about.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tony Elliott may one day be a successful hc somewhere.However, outside of a very brief stop at Furman and SC State, he has been at Clemson as a player and coach. I think he needs to leave the comfort of home and get some other experience to develop as a coach. I don't think his resume is very well rounded at this point and more experience outside of Clemson may help him climb the ladder. The way Clemson does things is not the way that most programs operate. Let him coordinate at Pitt or be a HC at Bowling Green to see how he does apart from the incredible Clemson infrastructure.

What I liked about CGC was his exposure to different programs, including a brief stint here. All of them want to be HC's. It's part of their DNA as competitors. It was part of our DNA ast students and engineers and why we chose GT. We wanted to show we could compete at the highest level. I thought the fact Geoff had been here probably made him more aware of the unique challenges that maybe his predessecors lacked. I know that we are waiting to see how this unfolds here but if CGC isn't the right guy, that doesn't mean that Tony Elliott was a better qualified candidate for the job at the time the decision was made.
It is also true that the Swinney/Clemson "all in" culture scares off some schools and Elliott, had he been interviewed for Tech, would come with certain expectations and would have scared the bejesus out of Georgia Tech. They probably liked Collins because he had no such expectations.

But in something completely unrelated, when in the wide world of sports has happened to Virginia Tech? The two Techs game was once a nail-biting staple of the season and now neither seems worth the effort. What in the world?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Jut becuase I am bored.... I am going to list the HC who had multiple double digit winning seasons while coaching on the Flats:
1. Paul Johnson: 2009 & 2014
2. Bobby Dodd: 1947, 1951, 1952, & 1956

Coaches with at least one multiple double digit winning season while coaching on the Flats:
1. George O'leary: 1998
2. Bobby Ross: 1990
3. William Alexander: 1928

Georgia Tech has been playing football for 119 seasons and we have only had 9 double digit winning seasons. In the modern era, Georgia Tech has had only 4 double digit winning seasons and two of those came from Paul Johnson.

I hope Geoff Collins can get the team to a double digit winning season, but looking at the previous 119 seasons on the flats he will be lucky to get one nine win season...It is what it Is!!! It is fun watching all his ATL, slogans and great recruiting..... Hopefully it is for more than a couple of 7 win seasons in Year 6 & 7...
There is context to everything. Bobby Dodd routinely played 10-11 game seasons, and getting double digits out of that was a chore. Particularly when you were playing Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, and LSU. So saying he had four double-digits means ...

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Sure buddy, use whatever you need to get the fanboy club through these dark days. CGC was a dominant head coach at Temple, completely outclassed any coach in Temple’s history. 🙄

Monken is the football messiah and the Triple Option is the only recourse to win football games. So great that every team is screaming to run it. Unlike every college team in America, Temple don’t lose players to graduation and the NFL. It’s a shame those graduates and NFL draft picks decided to go leaving Powerhouse Temple with 15 new starters.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Monken is the football messiah and the Triple Option is the only recourse to win football games. So great that every team is screaming to run it. Unlike every college team in America, Temple don’t lose players to graduation and the NFL. It’s a shame those graduates and NFL draft picks decided to go leaving Powerhouse Temple with 15 new starters.
It’s amazing that CGC, one of the greatest coaches in America, couldn’t win more than 8 games at Temple. What a horrific program they must have had when he took over. Frankly, CGC’s 1-2 record against FCS teams puts him in the upper echelon of college football greats, and if he couldn’t win 9 at Temple, no one can.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My point wasn't to say Tech should have hired Monken, it was a critique of the early-Monken, early-Collins comparison made by another poster. The discussion was initially started by his critique of Monken.

Do you have evidence to support that coaches weren't interested in the Tech job post-CPJ? Genuinely curious b/c I never saw any beyond speculation from random posters. There are certainly coaches with offenses better suited to transition from the 3O that were available at the time. Frtiz did it at Southern as they were transitioning to FBS and had great success. No, I would not have hired Fritz, it's just an example of an offense that transitions better.

Final points as rhetorical questions, if we couldn't find coaches that were interested, and our AD couldn't sale the program and opportunity to potential coaches, then why are we paying him? If your implied point is that coaches weren't interested, why should fans have confidence in a coach who was hired b/c no one else was interested?

I have a friend who works for the GTAA. I have shared information from time to time with fellow tailgaters, but rarely post here because I can't "link" it to a verifiable source. My friend told me that there were certain coaches that when approached shut GT down pretty fast. A certain OC from a rival program that was rumored to be a main contender was one of them. There was little interest for an up and coming coach to come in and stake his future career on his ability to transition GT from the 3O to a more "NFL" offense. Unless said coach is wildly successful, (read 8-9 wins within 3-4 seasons), that coaches upward trajectory would flame out. Many coaches preferred to wait for an easier transition job. Also, there was almost NO interest from the donors financing the new coaches salary to bring in anyone even remotely attached to "option" football. Our donors wanted to return to "normal" football, so the Fritz style options were largely off the table from the beginning. That being said, my friend also regarded it as a minor miracle that Collins, who was actually one of the coaches on the original list being considered, not only wanted the job but campaigned for it. While we weren't exactly getting all the best candidates knocking down our door, it's not like CGC was a distant plan B either. Collins brings a skillset to GT that we need right now. Before it's all over, he will have at the very least gotten GT into a position that the next coach can build on without burning the program down to the foundation. There's an even better probability that he will get us to 8-9 wins by years 5-6, which is why he was given a 7 year contract. We just need to have patience and support the program.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

Good take here. I wouldn’t have hired CGC, but I can see the case for doing so (exposure to top programs mainly). Hiring a coordinator always has risk that they just cant become a HC but there can be great reward too. I wouldn’t have given a 7 year contract - and I’m pretty damn sure a 5 yr contract would have gotten CGC hired. We just have to wait and see if CGC can be a successful HC (and no, Temple doesn’t count). I do hope he is successful but I’ve seen enough on the field to be really concerned. But that’s one opinion.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While we weren't exactly getting all the best candidates knocking down our door, it's not like CGC was a distant plan B either. Collins brings a skillset to GT that we need right now. Before it's all over, he will have at the very least gotten GT into a position that the next coach can build on without burning the program down to the foundation. There's an even better probability that he will get us to 8-9 wins by years 5-6, which is why he was given a 7 year contract. We just need to have patience and support the program.

I agree with your post 100%. I don't think people who want the easy jobs would do well here. Just like SA's who don't want to deal with FB AND school. For tough jobs, give me passion over calculated risk taking anyday.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do hope he is successful but I’ve seen enough on the field to be really concerned. But that’s one opinion.

I am 100% in his corner. But I think all of us have had reasons for pause or concern at some point or another if we are perfectly frank. I think there is some growing pains at the moment with the staff as well as the much discussed roster/talent issues.

slugboy

Staff member
Not sure if this is the right thread (the Patenaude offense thread has faded), but...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am 100% in his corner. But I think all of us have had reasons for pause or concern at some point or another if we are perfectly frank. I think there is some growing pains at the moment with the staff as well as the much discussed roster/talent issues.
Those feelings would come up with whoever we hired. We could have hired Saban and after a few losses the mantra would have been “this is his retirement job and he’s over the hill”. As a supporter of GT all I can do is help our coach and not bad mouth the program. Bad mouthing wont convince the next Calvin or Gibbs to sign here. I’ve never understood why college fanbases voice so much negative energy about their own team. The pro‘s I understand because you don’t have to convince and hope a player signs. You own them thru the draft. But in college to just rip your own team publicly then wonder why all the top talent goes to other teams has always struck me. A self fulfilling cycle of suck. We as GT should trust our AD to make the right call. Right now nothing matters except recruiting.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

I don't disagree with any of this. I was just pointing out that there was interest in the job and giving an example of such.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a friend who works for the GTAA. I have shared information from time to time with fellow tailgaters, but rarely post here because I can't "link" it to a verifiable source. My friend told me that there were certain coaches that when approached shut GT down pretty fast. A certain OC from a rival program that was rumored to be a main contender was one of them. There was little interest for an up and coming coach to come in and stake his future career on his ability to transition GT from the 3O to a more "NFL" offense. Unless said coach is wildly successful, (read 8-9 wins within 3-4 seasons), that coaches upward trajectory would flame out. Many coaches preferred to wait for an easier transition job. Also, there was almost NO interest from the donors financing the new coaches salary to bring in anyone even remotely attached to "option" football. Our donors wanted to return to "normal" football, so the Fritz style options were largely off the table from the beginning. That being said, my friend also regarded it as a minor miracle that Collins, who was actually one of the coaches on the original list being considered, not only wanted the job but campaigned for it. While we weren't exactly getting all the best candidates knocking down our door, it's not like CGC was a distant plan B either. Collins brings a skillset to GT that we need right now. Before it's all over, he will have at the very least gotten GT into a position that the next coach can build on without burning the program down to the foundation. There's an even better probability that he will get us to 8-9 wins by years 5-6, which is why he was given a 7 year contract. We just need to have patience and support the program.
Sorry, are you implying that GTAA expectations are 8 wins by year 5, or are you just making a statement? Want to clarify b/c your post switched from your source to more blanket statements and it was difficult to determine whether that came from you or your source. Personally perspective, if we haven’t hit 8 wins by year 5, Collins’ seat will be extraordinarily hot. In fact, based on contract extension processes, he may be gone if he can’t get to 8 wins in his first four years. It would obviously depend on whether he was winning 7 per year or 3 per year immediately prior.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What I liked about CGC was his exposure to different programs, including a brief stint here. ....
Well, yeah. What, 10 jobs in 22 years? Including his desertion as defensive coordinator of Mississippi State before the 2015 Orange Bowl game to take the same job at Florida? I'm sure Dan Mullen remembered that after Tech rolled over MSU. Collins is the classic example of one year of experience 10 times vs. 10 years of experience. (And I am pretty sure his "brief stint" here was two years ... his average everywhere he went, including Temple. And believe me: if it gets too hot and a better opportunity arises, his "dream job" will be on wheels out of town.)