A question for ex players or serious fans

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Will start by saying have been following Tech since the 60's.

Over this time have seen teams that have done well, and some that have done not so well.

Recall when CBD (thanks to my parents) pulled Tech out of the SEC over scholarship restrictions. Also recall when CBD decided to play ND and join the ACC for financial implications.

Would also believe that the game has evolved over the years.

Current scholarship restriction has effectively changed the game. With 85 total, it is difficult to field a team for 12 games. Example, let ~20 be freshmen, then the number is down to about 65. How many are hurt/injured? Ok, let it be 6 for a given week. Believe the traveling squad is limited (maybe 55?). This does not give much room for "recruitment misses" or whatever that in life happens.

Coaching 'em up is important. Believe that the present staff has done a lot with the talent they have.

Does Tech have the talent that others do?
Does Tech work the recruitment / gray shirt / blue shirt process like others? Do not believe so, which this author sees as a POSITIVE.
Can Tech perform well when things go right? Absolutely!
What is the margin between wining in the current environment? Believe that it is quite narrow.

One can only say that I Love Tech. Appreciate what it did for my Father. Appreciate what it has done for me. Will always root for Tech Win, Loose, or Draw (which also seems to have gone away......).

THWG.

That is all.

Jmonty71

Banned
Ok. Coached for a few years, here. Coached JV and asst DC on high school. I can say this.... Yes, there is a talent gap between us and football factories. We see that, with recruiting rankings. Now, that does not mean we beat or lose to teams, based on those rankings. A lot of it comes down to one word "TEAM". I didn't see much of a team, this year. No leadership on the sidelines. No player accountability. No senior leadership. Just a lot of misses. I feel that a winning mentality wasn't instilled into these young men. I saw a team, just trying not to lose. The offense had a rough year. However; we have seen it when the offense is rolling. The defense has been an issue for some time now. Momentum goes a long way. Attitude goes a long way. Lack of momentum and lackadaisical attitudes, will win very few games. Regardless of who we play. Fix the team attitude and instill a winning personality into these kids. Find some coaching assistants that can get into player's faces and fire them up. Find some player leaders, for this team. I honestly see a battle for every position, going into next year. And....it should be. Let kids know, of they don't do their their job....we will find someone that can. Give them some real life adjustments.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Ok. Coached for a few years, here. Coached JV and asst DC on high school. I can say this.... Yes, there is a talent gap between us and football factories. We see that, with recruiting rankings. Now, that does not mean we beat or lose to teams, based on those rankings. A lot of it comes down to one word "TEAM". I didn't see much of a team, this year. No leadership on the sidelines. No player accountability. No senior leadership. Just a lot of misses. I feel that a winning mentality wasn't instilled into these young men. I saw a team, just trying not to lose. The offense had a rough year. However; we have seen it when the offense is rolling. The defense has been an issue for some time now. Momentum goes a long way. Attitude goes a long way. Lack of momentum and lackadaisical attitudes, will win very few games. Regardless of who we play. Fix the team attitude and instill a winning personality into these kids. Find some coaching assistants that can get into player's faces and fire them up. Find some player leaders, for this team. I honestly see a battle for every position, going into next year. And....it should be. Let kids know, of they don't do their their job....we will find someone that can. Give them some real life adjustments.

Thank you for the insight. I don't want to put words in your mouth but it sounds like you put a lot of stock in the "intangibles". As an ex-coach, do you believe that if we had converted the conversion against UT and knocked the pass down on 4th and 10 in Miami that it would have had a significant difference in the way we played against UVa, Duke and Uga. Or is each game played in isolation and that outcomes of past games do not drastically affect the current game? This is a question that has alwaays intrigued me.

Jmonty71

Banned
Thank you for the insight. I don't want to put words in your mouth but it sounds like you put a lot of stock in the "intangibles". As an ex-coach, do you believe that if we had converted the conversion against UT and knocked the pass down on 4th and 10 in Miami that it would have had a significant difference in the way we played against UVa, Duke and Uga. Or is each game played in isolation and that outcomes of past games do not drastically affect the current game? This is a question that has alwaays intrigued me.
Yes... I do think they way you play from game to game, effects the season. Teams that lose, develop losing mentalities. You make excuses instead of plays. You see separation on the sidelines. You see teammates, doing their job vs acting as a team. I think the team was deflated and lost motivation. There was very little fire in anyone. Momentum means a lot in college sports.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Some people here don't want to admit that Tech doesn't and won't ever have the same type of athletes as UGA. Saying that they have been able to compete with and beat them recently.

Many here like to attack the play of the offensive line, but if you watch them closely, they have been pretty good during Paul Johnson's tenure here. The QB's missed reads can make them look bad at times. I have seen our QB pull the ball when he should have given it. The center and the backside guard will have the nose blocked, the play side guard and tackle will have the LBer blocked. The 4/5 technique runs up field. We pull the ball. If we give the ball to the B back, he scores. This has happened quite a bit.

So you say we aren't coaching the QB up. This play happens so fast. I have always wanted us to back the B back up just a yard, this would allow the QB a little more time to read his key.

I don't think we have always been very good at blocking on the perimeter, but there have been years where we have been. That tells me that the method of coaching is fine. Sometimes the players just can't do it.

On defense, the first thing you have to look at is can we get lined up to the offensive formations.
We can. Then look at the players stance. Look at his head and look at what he's looking at. I have watched many games that Ted Roof has coached, going back to the O'Leary years. I think our guys can get lined up, can get in a good stance, and know who they are supposed to key. Getting off blocks comes down to the weight room and athletic ability.

Yes. I think we are very well coached.
Are you a former player? Great reply!!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If nothing else this yr proved that PJ was a good "coach".When he did coach and motivate the team his 59th rated recruiting classes looked fairly good/dangerous .When the motivation/coaching failed,then they played like a low-rated team.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
As neither an ex player or coach, I can't comment on the current statusof the Tech football program. ( as an aside though,if I could, I would start with the head coach.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Strength and conditioning

That would be one of the first areas that I would evaluate. See if we could do something better. Many lessons can be learned in the weight room. Kids need to be uncomfortable and need to overcome discomfort. Especially this group.
Are u aware of the lean mean offseason conditioning (except shamire) that several of the ol men went thru?

In 16 one player i know was 295-300, but in 17 went to low body fat lean 280.
My seats are behind the defense huddle. Most are smaller - but very fit. Definitely not bigger ( except 5 and 9.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Are u aware of the lean mean offseason conditioning (except shamire) that several of the ol men went thru?

In 16 one player i know was 295-300, but in 17 went to low body fat lean 280.
My seats are behind the defense huddle. Most are smaller - but very fit. Definitely not bigger ( except 5 and 9.

No I'm not aware. Being fit is great, but being able to move 300# bodies requires some serious strength training. Bottom line, if our guys are at their peak (best) at the 280# range, we need to recruit different kids. I know there's not many of them walking around that can play at this level. We need to get 1 or 2 every couple of years.

Defensively, how was Tenuta so successful here. Did Gailey make an effort to recruit Defensive guys? Was it just his scheme? I know he liked to blitz and play man coverage a lot. Before anyone says how great he was, I was at the Boston College game when Matt Ryan picked us a part.

Strength and conditioning

That would be one of the first areas that I would evaluate. See if we could do something better. Many lessons can be learned in the weight room. Kids need to be uncomfortable and need to overcome discomfort. Especially this group.
Agree here, I think our O-line needs to drop about 10 lbs per man, Shamire I know is the outlier and the D the same. Then get this guys lifting serious. Fly's presses, back work. We really don't have a bull rusher on the D except number 90. We get no pass rush because our guys look out muscled.

No I'm not aware. Being fit is great, but being able to move 300# bodies requires some serious strength training. Bottom line, if our guys are at their peak (best) at the 280# range, we need to recruit different kids. I know there's not many of them walking around that can play at this level. We need to get 1 or 2 every couple of years.

Defensively, how was Tenuta so successful here. Did Gailey make an effort to recruit Defensive guys? Was it just his scheme? I know he liked to blitz and play man coverage a lot. Before anyone says how great he was, I was at the Boston College game when Matt Ryan picked us a part.
Tennuta had success and failure. He blitzed a lot and we got a lot of negative plays. We also gave up big plays to really good Qbs Matt Ryan come to mind.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

The BC game, Ryan was slicing us up with a scalpel... it was an ugly day for GT fans, especially those in the stands that day, even though the weather was nice iirc. :).
(yes i know this if off topic)

Regarding parts of the problem on the O side of the ball -:
- missed reads from the QB position
-- in the mesh
-- and on the pitch (when to vs not)

- O line was limited in depth due to injuries (really thought it was goign to be a strength this year, but injuries can be a killer)

Over all - Depth is an issue for us when playing the perennial issue at GT :(

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
The BC game, Ryan was slicing us up with a scalpel... it was an ugly day for GT fans, especially those in the stands that day, even though the weather was nice iirc. :).
(yes i know this if off topic)

Regarding parts of the problem on the O side of the ball -:
- missed reads from the QB position
-- in the mesh
-- and on the pitch (when to vs not)

- O line was limited in depth due to injuries (really thought it was goign to be a strength this year, but injuries can be a killer)

Over all - Depth is an issue for us when playing the perennial issue at GT :(

We really didn't run the triple option very much this year.
This tells me that Paul Johnson knew that Marshall could not do it.
I think the QB position is wide open in the spring. We have to have someone that can make the reads. We are playing with half of a playbook until that gets fixed.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Johnson needs to bring the three QBs in for a meeting to let them know that the position is wide open. That may be the only way to keep the two backups from transferring in the off-season.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Barrett is the real deal...he would give all of them a run for the competition. Perfect skill set for QB at GT. I would have one of the staff down in Valdosta every day until signing day.