A Note to Those That Think We Have a High School Offense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The Offense has been around 30th in country in PJs tenure while the Def has been around 60th roughly.That should give a hint as to the bigger problem.Now if the Off continues to look like last yrs,then there may be a real concern.
In 2014, we were #2 in offensive FEI, which is a per possession efficiency rating. This is the most accurate rating, imo, for offensive quality because it cancels out our built in limiting factor of fewer number of possessions.

I didn't average our FEI over CPJ's tenure, but I imagine it's still pretty high even with the abysmal 2015 campaign. Regardless, 2014 shows there really is no ceiling for how good this offense can be with basically a bunch of experienced roll players and a couple of well placed blue chipers (Thomas and Smelter).

It's no surprise that our defensive FEI that year was #76.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff2014

Last edited:

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Smh @ chewy :)

I'm as a big a fan of the triple and of PJ as there is but I'm not totally put out with chewy's sentiments. We get a little better execution against UNC on the goal line, a little better on Georgia and a little better on Virginia in the second half, it's a better - though not great - season. Sure, there were times the defense could have made a stop in each of those. But the offense could absolved those, even with the lack of experience.

It was a bad season but I'm eager to see how this team bounces back and see what this offense can do this year with so many people back and hopefully healthy. Woe be unto those who doubt Justin Thomas.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm as a big a fan of the triple and of PJ as there is but I'm not totally put out with chewy's sentiments. We get a little better execution against UNC on the goal line, a little better on Georgia and a little better on Virginia in the second half, it's a better - though not great - season. Sure, there were times the defense could have made a stop in each of those. But the offense could absolved those, even with the lack of experience.

It was a bad season but I'm eager to see how this team bounces back and see what this offense can do this year with so many people back and hopefully healthy. Woe be unto those who doubt Justin Thomas.

FWIW, I agree that you have to look at everything, and from that perspective there's nothing wrong with what @chewybaka said. However, within the context of a thread about scheme, his post and yours seem out of place, imo.

What your post recognizes, iiuc, is that even with as bad a season as we had, and with some losses due to our O and others where our O and our D were equally to blame, we were still a few plays here and there from an 8 or 9 win season. In other words, it's doubtful that our scheme on O was the problem. The statistics that others are raising about our offensive efficiency over the last several years also speaks to the scheme not being the problem.

While in theory you have to look at everything after a bad season, you shouldn't expect that all of a sudden the whole scheme has been figured out--especially when you can point to so many plays where guys were not on the same page or executing very well. If the head coach runs you through a particular play several times on Thursday and then you fail to go to the right spot or block the right guy on Saturday, that's not a scheme problem but a brain problem.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
While in theory you have to look at everything after a bad season, you shouldn't expect that all of a sudden the whole scheme has been figured out--especially when you can point to so many plays where guys were not on the same page or executing very well. If the head coach runs you through a particular play several times on Thursday and then you fail to go to the right spot or block the right guy on Saturday, that's not a scheme problem but a brain problem.
This point has been largely ignored. That is, DCs in the ACC did not awaken one spring morning in 2015 and all get the flash and thunder of The Answer to Johnson's offense. Most particularly after the ACC championship game and the Orange Bowl. I agree some are starting to play it a bit differently, and Tech has to adjust. but I thought in hindsight that ND showed Tech's O line could be used and abused -- and confused -- with different alignment looks and movement before the snap. That seemed to screw up all blocking assignments and things tended to telescope after that. But nobody magically figured it out in the garage one night. What I am more interested in this spring than anything else, including the backfield and WR competition, is how the O line is developed. That should be fun ... and telling.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This point has been largely ignored. That is, DCs in the ACC did not awaken one spring morning in 2015 and all get the flash and thunder of The Answer to Johnson's offense. Most particularly after the ACC championship game and the Orange Bowl. I agree some are starting to play it a bit differently, and Tech has to adjust. but I thought in hindsight that ND showed Tech's O line could be used and abused -- and confused -- with different alignment looks and movement before the snap. That seemed to screw up all blocking assignments and things tended to telescope after that. But nobody magically figured it out in the garage one night. What I am more interested in this spring than anything else, including the backfield and WR competition, is how the O line is developed. That should be fun ... and telling.
Also, remember ND had all summer and hired a special consultant just to prepare for our O. In addition, they had superb athletes on D who were very sure tacklers. They didn't miss many if any one-on-ones. Oh and they were playing at home.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Also, remember ND had all summer and hired a special consultant just to prepare for our O. In addition, they had superb athletes on D who were very sure tacklers. They didn't miss many if any one-on-ones. Oh and they were playing at home.

Coach said that we had like 70 missed assignments in that game. That's like 3 times a normal bad game. Everything you say is true, but when you have guys who aren't even running the same plays as their teammates, it doesn't matter what scheme you run or how well the other team prepares or doesn't.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What gets me about this particular meme is that the real high school offense is the shotgun spread. That's because it is so much easier to teach and it can work with fewer athletes at skill positions. The QBs have to learn how to run double options off simple reads and throw the ball. The RBs - and it only takes one with talent - have to run for the daylight. The OLs get to zone block. Easy, peasy.

Our O is orders of magnitude of complexity above this and requires more skill players, albeit of a sort now usually recruited by shotgun spread teams. No need to say more about this then what the Skeptic says above.

Makes the games a lot more fun to attend as well. When we are rolling, it's like watching a Swiss watch. I love that.

What gets me about this particular meme is that the real high school offense is the shotgun spread. That's because it is so much easier to teach and it can work with fewer athletes at skill positions. The QBs have to learn how to run double options off simple reads and throw the ball. The RBs - and it only takes one with talent - have to run for the daylight. The OLs get to zone block. Easy, peasy.

Our O is orders of magnitude of complexity above this and requires more skill players, albeit of a sort now usually recruited by shotgun spread teams. No need to say more about this then what the Skeptic says above.

Makes the games a lot more fun to attend as well. When we are rolling, it's like watching a Swiss watch. I love that.
HELL YEAH !!!