A Note to Those That Think We Have a High School Offense

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It's the offseason so why not.

So I was leaving a restaurant last night carrying my daughter and someone points at me and says "nice hat!" (A rarity in middle Tennessee). So I start talking to him and then he makes the dreaded usual statement, "hopefully soon we'll get rid of this high school offense for something real." And right on queue my daughter proceeds to projectile vomit all over the place (and me). So I think CPJ has full support of my daughter. This is my life right now.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe so, but I would be perfectly happy with another offensive season like 2014. I'll take a second helping please.
Quite literally, if you exclude the first two games from the 2014 and 2015 regular seasons (2014 - Wofford and Tulane; 2015 - Alcorn State and Tulane), we went from 37 ppg to 21 ppg. If we average the same ppg in 2015 as in 2014 and hold the opponents to the same score, we go 9-3 with 1-point losses to UNC and Miami and a 6-point loss to Clemson.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Quite literally, if you exclude the first two games from the 2014 and 2015 regular seasons (2014 - Wofford and Tulane; 2015 - Alcorn State and Tulane), we went from 37 ppg to 21 ppg. If we average the same ppg in 2015 as in 2014 and hold the opponents to the same score, we go 9-3 with 1-point losses to UNC and Miami and a 6-point loss to Clemson.

Mississippi State says "Please, sir, may I have another"?

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
3-9 means all questions are fair game....it's atrocious...and should not be considered acceptable by any measure.

Last season we played one of the toughest schedules in the entire Country with ONE experienced skill position player on the field most of the season (QB Justin Thomas), yet we were within a TD of beating every team except 2 (Clemson & Miami, and Justin got injured against Miami & we played a QB who wasn't even at that position earlier in the year but switched there when our backup QB, Tim Byerly, went out for the season, on that schedule with 4 minutes left in the game (this means we were within a TD of Duke with 4 minutes to play when our special teams blew up on us and let them score twice at the end).

Anyone who has followed our offense knows, or should know, that it takes a ton of time/experience before our skill position really become comfortable running our offense, so the fact the Team fought competed so well IN SPITE of the injuries and inexperience, I'd say the team and Coaching Staff should be respected, appreciated, and congratulated, not disrespected or insulted.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It's the offseason so why not.

So I was leaving a restaurant last night carrying my daughter and someone points at me and says "nice hat!" (A rarity in middle Tennessee). So I start talking to him and then he makes the dreaded usual statement, "hopefully soon we'll get rid of this high school offense for something real." And right on queue my daughter proceeds to projectile vomit all over the place (and me). So I think CPJ has full support of my daughter. This is my life right now.

He must have missed the fantastic Pro offense we had in the Chan years.....

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I've never read a thread on first impression & liked so many consecutive comments.

I feel cheap. & yes, skeptic, your post was the straw that broke my generous camel's back.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The Offense has been around 30th in country in PJs tenure while the Def has been around 60th roughly.That should give a hint as to the bigger problem.Now if the Off continues to look like last yrs,then there may be a real concern.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The offense is not the problem. The misunderstanding of the offense is the problem.
What is there to be said about those who say the spread option is a "high school offense," but who, even assuming that being the case, can't understand or explain the high school offense they criticize? Shoot, anybody with a 12th grade education should by definition, well, run with it. Seriously. I did HS my own self but I learn something new about it daily. And while I know diddly about breaking down film, when I watch an offensive series a few times I see a play that looked the same starting out but ... all the blocking assignments were different in the second or third iteration. Makes me understand MSU's hapless confusion, and Kam Chancellor, a terrific safety for VT, getting ambushed from different angles almost every play. It seems to me a nightmare for college graduates to break down. However I am out of South Georgia so there is that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The Offense has been around 30th in country in PJs tenure while the Def has been around 60th roughly.That should give a hint as to the bigger problem.Now if the Off continues to look like last yrs,then there may be a real concern.
If it does Paul Johnson will be put on suicide watch.