A Note from Coach Johnson and Mike Bobinski

LibertyTurns

Banned
LOL. The 48 doesn't include my 5 years in school. So actually, this will be my 53rd year. DAMN, I'm old. LOL
To have such great fortune to have survived 53 years of GT football is truly amazing. Friend of mine just completed his 65th year. They only lost something like 6 games in his 5 yrs at our fine Institute. It has been all downhill since.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe so, but there have been some incredible highs during those years since too, you know.
Absolutely.

That being said, I'm not even sure how many teams in the history of NCAA football have ever put together such a run. I'd guess the list is probably 5 or 6.

I have a hard time imagining what it would even be like witnessing a 5 year period like that on the Flats.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why! Are you trying to get us to close down our program? Everyone who is a GT fan should re-up! Nothing else. If you feel that way, go away.
You know, the letter in question was just a marketing letter. If I had a criticism it would only be that it was not all that inspired. I would venture that every one on this board, man or woman, young or old, gets at least a dozen of, dare I say it, such plug and play letters a year. Throw in solicitations from several charities, community amateur theaters or orchestras, little league, HS booster clubs and your always down-on-his luck Uncle Wilbur, and it probably is three dozen or more. Just change the names and the content is the same. I would also venture that neither the AD or the head ball coach has a bonus riding on the quality of the letter. The whole initial reaction baffles me, because, boy, with that response I'm glad they weren't standing guard at the Berlin Wall or such. If one doesn't want to spring for a season ticket, fine. Just don't huffily blame it on an evergreen marketing letter. Better yet, offer to edit the next one for them. They'll appreciate it.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Why! Are you trying to get us to close down our program? Everyone who is a GT fan should re-up! Nothing else. If you feel that way, go away.
Don't think he said anything about closing down the program! Everyone who is a GT fan should re-up? Go away? You are just a little over the top. It really is Tech fans like you that give us real fans a bad name.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sorry about my post. My feeling is that of course GT fans who can afford and renew season tickets should, regardless. I just found the msg so defensive and defeatest in tone that it had the opposite affect on me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Can't totally blame @AE 87 for the feeling received while reading the letter. Feeling are just that.

guess they felt that had to send SOMETHING out. Sure hope the "please buy season tickets" note is better.
Regardless, will still be buying next year.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Why can't we criticize the letter
while still being a season ticket holder?

Why does it seem like if you criticize CPJ or anything about the program that you aren't a supportive fan? Blindly supporting every action of our coach/AD/program is counter-intuitive, and in actuality that is not having the best interest of the program in mind.

I want what is best for our fans, players, and alums. This letter was not that. I honestly felt embarrassed for the players reading it. Stop making excuses and get it done. The people buying season tickets are already well aware of the product we put out on the field in 2015.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why can't we criticize the letter
while still being a season ticket holder?

Why does it seem like if you criticize CPJ or anything about the program that you aren't a supportive fan? Blindly supporting every action of our coach/AD/program is counter-intuitive, and in actuality that is not having the best interest of the program in mind.

I want what is best for our fans, players, and alums. This letter was not that. I honestly felt embarrassed for the players reading it. Stop making excuses and get it done. The people buying season tickets are already well aware of the product we put out on the field in 2015.
People just have a different opinion on the letter and it's importance. It doesn't bother me one bit.

I doubt the letter was meant for guys like us, anyway. I'm sure there's plenty of season ticket holders who don't follow the daily workings of the program like we do. They just go to games. Many probably couldn't name more than 10 players if that. That sort of fan might have appreciated a short synopsis of the events that helped bring about such an unexpected season because they honestly didn't know.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
To have such great fortune to have survived 53 years of GT football is truly amazing. Friend of mine just completed his 65th year. They only lost something like 6 games in his 5 yrs at our fine Institute. It has been all downhill since.

I wouldn't say it's been all downhill since.

The program hit rock bottom in 1979. It was generally uphill from 1980 to 2001.

Curry catches heat, but the program was in better shape in 1986 when he left than when he came in 1980. He took it as far as he could, and leaving for Bama was a good thing for GT.

Ross took it from there. He had to change the attitude, but 1990 speaks for itself.

There was the Lewis burp, but Homer Rice fixed it quickly. O'Leary finished with 5 straight AP Top 25 finishes. (Dodd didn't).

Then Homer Rice retired, and Kim King died. Clough hired his buddy Braine, who spent the money Homer put aside and did very little fund raising. The program has been a slow slide downhill since then. The current coach is 35-37 over the last 6 years vs. FBS. He has the lowest FBS win percentage over his GT career of the last 3 coaches, yet he has a much greater salary than any of them, so we can't afford a change.

The problem is at the top. The athletic board is dominated by academic members, and not by business people. The last 3 ADs are not in the same league as Homer Rice. Unless something changes, the slow slide is likely to continue. I am not optimistic .

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
People just have a different opinion on the letter and it's importance. It doesn't bother me one bit.

I doubt the letter was meant for guys like us, anyway. I'm sure there's plenty of season ticket holders who don't follow the daily workings of the program like we do. They just go to games. Many probably couldn't name more than 10 players if that. That sort of fan might have appreciated a short synopsis of the events that helped bring about such an unexpected season because they honestly didn't know.

Good points cheese. Doesn't change how I interpreted the letter, but definitely some points I hadn't considered due to my personal feelings on it. Thanks for that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just went back and reread the letter and I can't see how it's drawing any ire whatsoever. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. It's the most benign summary of events that could have possibly been written.

It's 50% gratitude toward season ticket holders for their unwavering support, 40% pledging commitment for excellence and 10% recapping the season.

Only one paragraph from the entire composition attempts to put the season into proper perspective and that is nothing but fact and just barely touches on the enormous scope of events that transpired.

Here it is and somebody please enlighten me as to where I should hang my head in shame:

"This season unfolded in ways we never anticipated. Injuries necessitated extended playing time for 23 freshmen, one of the highest totals among Power-5 programs. You also witnessed top teams and exciting games as four of our opponents finished in the top 10 in final regular season rankings, and six of our losses were by an average of just five points. As we saw time and again, the margin between winning and losing is razor thin, and the simple truth is many games are decided by just a handful of plays."

Sorry guys, don't see a damn thing inaccurate or inappropriate in that. It pretty much nails the season. And again, it's just one small part of the whole letter designed to reassure fans of their commitment toward fixing things.

Last edited:

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't say it's been all downhill since.

The program hit rock bottom in 1979. It was generally uphill from 1980 to 2001.

Curry catches heat, but the program was in better shape in 1986 when he left than when he came in 1980. He took it as far as he could, and leaving for Bama was a good thing for GT.

Ross took it from there. He had to change the attitude, but 1990 speaks for itself.

There was the Lewis burp, but Homer Rice fixed it quickly. O'Leary finished with 5 straight AP Top 25 finishes. (Dodd didn't).

Then Homer Rice retired, and Kim King died. Clough hired his buddy Braine, who spent the money Homer put aside and did very little fund raising. The program has been a slow slide downhill since then. The current coach is 35-37 over the last 6 years vs. FBS. He has the lowest FBS win percentage over his GT career of the last 3 coaches, yet he has a much greater salary than any of them, so we can't afford a change.

The problem is at the top. The athletic board is dominated by academic members, and not by business people. The last 3 ADs are not in the same league as Homer Rice. Unless something changes, the slow slide is likely to continue. I am not optimistic .
Well said.