A New Tech Record

Wow...dark part of the season. Not a great season and the Swarm is testy. So to lighten it up with maybe for real. Well as many of you know I am the biggest Tech fan there is. But as you may also know I did not go to Tech. UGA grad 1984. Well I found out that when you turn 62 you can attend college for free. I turn 59 this year. I do plan on moving back to Georgia. Soon I plan on going to Tech so that I no longer have to explain myself. But I was thinking. I am 6' 2' 225 and still workout. Ran a 5.5 40 a month ago. Walk on to the team. Maybe a Rush end. Convince Coach to put me in a game and go down as the oldest College player in history. I am tough enough...played Rugby for 10 years....Well....

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I believe that you are ineligible to play after 4 years out of high school. There are exceptions and I recall an older guy at USCe but don’t know how/why it was allowed.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I believe that you are ineligible to play after 4 years out of high school. There are exceptions and I recall an older guy at USCe but don’t know how/why it was allowed.
I'm pretty sure there's no age limit, but once you take a single college class your clock starts (or maybe it's 12 hours).

Edit: they've changed the rules some. Remember a certain FSU QB playing at 28? Anyone remember Chris Weinke? He won the Heisman.

1 year out of HS, you're eligible to play 4 years in the next 5.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Well, I know there have been several late 20 somethings and even some 30 somethings brought over from countries like Australia to kick and/or punt. And, it seems like a few years ago, I heard a story about a former military member who was in his early 30's that played somewhere, but maybe I am confused.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow...dark part of the season. Not a great season and the Swarm is testy. So to lighten it up with maybe for real. Well as many of you know I am the biggest Tech fan there is. But as you may also know I did not go to Tech. UGA grad 1984. Well I found out that when you turn 62 you can attend college for free. I turn 59 this year. I do plan on moving back to Georgia. Soon I plan on going to Tech so that I no longer have to explain myself. But I was thinking. I am 6' 2' 225 and still workout. Ran a 5.5 40 a month ago. Walk on to the team. Maybe a Rush end. Convince Coach to put me in a game and go down as the oldest College player in history. I am tough enough...played Rugby for 10 years....Well....
Well, I started out at UGAG right after high school, but saw the light and transferred to GT my sophomore year. I am 57, and I run a lot, play tennis and basketball, and I believe I could still do a pretty fast 5K if I tried, but I am definitely too skinny and frail to compete in CFB, but I like your moxie.

I hope we have reason to celebrate next year - even a .500 season would go a long way if the team played with discipline and key players, like Sims, shows considerable improvement.

I still have my doubts, and if things go south next year (4 wins or less with lots of penalties and/or turnovers and lack of improvement), I can see this place getting much more testy. Many will hunker down on their side of the aisle.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well I'm not in great shape unless round is a good shape so football is out now unless they want someone to keep a spot warm on the bench. So I'm waiting till we have a beer drinking team. I'll pay my way if the beer is free and we can practice year round and also I'll need free meals so I don't have to eat my wife's cooking.

slugboy

Staff member
Division I has the “within 5 years of graduating high school” rule, with the option of a sixth. https://theithacan.org/columns/ncaa-age-rule-hurts-younger-college-athletes/. Division III just has a 5 year limit, whenever you want.

There has to be some wrinkle to that rule, though. Currently, the oldest Div I player is in his low 30’s. There have been some up to 61 years old (https://www.oldest.org/sports/college-football-players/)

Take a look at that second article. Maybe Coach Lew could get me into shape.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Division I has the “within 5 years of graduating high school” rule, with the option of a sixth. https://theithacan.org/columns/ncaa-age-rule-hurts-younger-college-athletes/. Division III just has a 5 year limit, whenever you want.

There has to be some wrinkle to that rule, though. Currently, the oldest Div I player is in his low 30’s. There have been some up to 61 years old (https://www.oldest.org/sports/college-football-players/)

Take a look at that second article. Maybe Coach Lew could get me into shape.
I believe for D1 the clock starts once you enroll in college, then you have 5 years to play 4, with limited exceptions (Mormon missions, significant injuries limiting your career, etc). That's why there have been a number of older players - usually guys who went military or played pro baseball, like the former Tech commit Skole that got drafted and played baseball and is now a walk on a UGA at like 28yrs old. They never enrolled in college, so the clock never started.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Remember when Texas A&M got a bunch of students to play on it's kick-off team. Tech could have a bunch of 50 and 60 year old guys on it's coverage team. The Fulton County Medical Examiner could station a unit close by on the sidelines. This is the kind of stuff that sells tickets. Collins is missing the boat on this one.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Remember when Texas A&M got a bunch of students to play on it's kick-off team. Tech could have a bunch of 50 and 60 year old guys on it's coverage team. The Fulton County Medical Examiner could station a unit close by on the sidelines. This is the kind of stuff that sells tickets. Collins is missing the boat on this one.
That would work as long as you could guarantee the kickoff goes through the endzone. Otherwise, it's a risky proposition!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Too small, need to be at least 6’4”😁

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Romans used to pack the coliseum with this kind of marketing strategy....Christians vs. lions, tigers vs. bears, slaves vs. gladiators. They started losing ticket sales when they sold the broadcast rights to ESPN and FSN iirc. As they say, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I'm talking to you here NCAA.

If they did this and I was getting to the point where there wasn't much flame left in the candle, this is how I want to go out of this world. Wedge buster on Grant Field. As long as it was a marquee matchup. I don't want to go out against Wofford or Idaho in front of 11,200 fans at a September noon kickoff.

Hate the dogs

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm pretty sure there's no age limit, but once you take a single college class your clock starts (or maybe it's 12 hours).

Edit: they've changed the rules some. Remember a certain FSU QB playing at 28? Anyone remember Chris Weinke? He won the Heisman.

1 year out of HS, you're eligible to play 4 years in the next 5.