A New Tech Record

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Division I has the “within 5 years of graduating high school” rule, with the option of a sixth. https://theithacan.org/columns/ncaa-age-rule-hurts-younger-college-athletes/. Division III just has a 5 year limit, whenever you want.

There has to be some wrinkle to that rule, though. Currently, the oldest Div I player is in his low 30’s. There have been some up to 61 years old (https://www.oldest.org/sports/college-football-players/)

Take a look at that second article. Maybe Coach Lew could get me into shape.
I don't know for sure what the rule is, but I always thought the 5-year thing applied to eligibility for a scholarship.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't know for sure what the rule is, but I always thought the 5-year thing applied to eligibility for a scholarship.
I don't know but that wouldn't make much sense. Seems to me a school could give anybody a scholarship at any age but they would be eligible to play only for four of their first five years, and any grant beyond that counts against the roster limit. I read several years ago, maybe in the AJC, that one of the factors in Bobby Dodd's decline at GT was that he wanted all his players to graduate and often brought them back, for another year or more on scholarship, which weakened his roster. He was driven by the fact he never graduated from Tennessee.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe that you are ineligible to play after 4 years out of high school. There are exceptions and I recall an older guy at USCe but don’t know how/why it was allowed.
Not sure about the ineligibility after 4 years out of high school. I'm thinking about the FSU kicker who was something like 27 in his last year at Free Shoes.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
When did this change? The last I heard you have 5years to play4 beginning at matriculation. There were/are exceptions for military and religious service.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
In before someone asks if uGA really counts as college or just continuation of your high school courses.. 😏😬🧐
When I talk to my GT students about what my class is and what it it isn’t, I will sometimes say, “This is not community college. It is not high school. It is not middle school or grade school. It is not kindergarten or pre-K. And it is certainly not the (university) of Georgia.”

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
When I talk to my GT students about what my class is and what it it isn’t, I will sometimes say, “This is not community college. It is not high school. It is not middle school or grade school. It is not kindergarten or pre-K. And it is certainly not the (university) of Georgia.”
I think that about covers the entirety of what the syllabus should be.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
In before someone asks if uGA really counts as college or just continuation of your high school courses.. 😏😬🧐

As much as it pains me to say this.......UGAG has turned itself into a very good academic school these days as supported by the objective rankings. It's not the party-school-only, it once was in the 80's and 90's. Michael Adams got them going in the right direction academically and they've only trended up since his tenure.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As much as it pains me to say this.......UGAG has turned itself into a very good academic school these days as supported by the objective rankings. It's not the party-school-only, it once was in the 80's and 90's. Michael Adams got them going in the right direction academically and they've only trended up since his tenure.

I teach at a private HS with students who are trying to get into the world's best colleges and universities. Anecdotally I would say that a tier 1 school in the eyes of my senior students would be the Ivies or the acadamies. Tier 2 would be Stanford, Duke, GT, Vandy, Northwestern, etc. or maybe some of the smaller liberal arts schools (Swarthmore, Oberlin,Colorado College, etc.) Tier 3 would be Uva, Miami, Michigan, Uga, BC, etc. (in their eyes). You may have data that says otherwise and I wouldn't say that you were wrong. All I am saying is, in the eyes of today's students where I teach, Uga is considered selective and difficult to get into for the typical or even decent out of state kid. The kids I have taught who chose Uga were bright and motivated students.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I teach at a private HS with students who are trying to get into the world's best colleges and universities. Anecdotally I would say that a tier 1 school in the eyes of my senior students would be the Ivies or the acadamies. Tier 2 would be Stanford, Duke, GT, Vandy, Northwestern, etc. or maybe some of the smaller liberal arts schools (Swarthmore, Oberlin,Colorado College, etc.) Tier 3 would be Uva, Miami, Michigan, Uga, BC, etc. (in their eyes). You may have data that says otherwise and I wouldn't say that you were wrong. All I am saying is, in the eyes of today's students where I teach, Uga is considered selective and difficult to get into for the typical or even decent out of state kid. The kids I have taught who chose Uga were bright and motivated students.
Sometimes we let our anti-UGA piss-offidness cloud common sense. I am quite comfortable disliking those braggarts while acknowledging there is some academic achievement there. It is foolish to continue diminishing it. Regardless they are still pissants.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow

Oh I agree. I was just opining that its not the academic cesspool it used to be back in tha Jan Kemp days and much of the 90's. They aren't 0n our level, but they are a far cry from being a academic laughing stock, like say Ole Miss is. UGAG has become a very good academic school.

My niece was one of the ones that got in but a few of her friends did not.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Oh I agree. I was just opining that its not the academic cesspool it used to be back in tha Jan Kemp days and much of the 90's. They aren't 0n our level, but they are a far cry from being a academic laughing stock, like say Ole Miss is. UGAG has become a very good academic school.

My niece was one of the ones that got in but a few of her friends did not.
Actually I applaud Uga's tremendous growth in academic status. It dissproves the zero-sum mindset that our school's administration and many? most? of our alums seem to have. I have always felt (and I am certainly no spring chicken) that GT has had the mindset that excellence in athletics came at the expense or trade-off of a decline in academics. I have no proof of this hypothesis other than my own gut feel.

The only other plausible explanation is that they (school leadership) don't believe the two (academic and athletic excellence) aren't mutually exclusive but are just merely incompetent. Either of these two hypothesis explains the goings on at the NATS over the last half century+ fairly well imo outsde, of course, the outliers of Homer Rice, CBC, and CBR.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA has benefited from the Hope Scholarship and the unjustified cost of a college education which has kept a lot of kids in state. They still have a lot of bogus majors to hide athletes.

In state saved my butt with HOPE as well. No way I could have afforded an out of state tuition.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually I applaud Uga's tremendous growth in academic status. It dissproves the zero-sum mindset that our school's administration and many? most? of our alums seem to have. I have always felt (and I am certainly no spring chicken) that GT has had the mindset that excellence in athletics came at the expense or trade-off of a decline in academics. I have no proof of this hypothesis other than my own gut feel.

The only other plausible explanation is that they (school leadership) don't believe the two (academic and athletic excellence) aren't mutually exclusive but are just merely incompetent. Either of these two hypothesis explains the goings on at the NATS over the last half century+ fairly well imo outsde, of course, the outliers of Homer Rice, CBC, and CBR.

Very true and solid points.