A little nostalgia

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
It was actually Fall '72 when fr were allowed to play. They were allowed, but very few did. The game stayed a true freshman game in '72 and '73 but went JV in '74. Our '72 team went 5-0-1 and '73 went 6-0.

Trivia - Who was the first fr at Tech to play under the new rule in '72?
Thanks, that was your freshman year wasn't it? Did you letter that year?

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
We were given a freshman sweater. It was a long, white, button sweater with a gold "T" and gold "76" on it. They should have put 7? on mine because I didn't quite get out in '76.

Nobody answered the trivia question.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
MyGrandfather (class of 23) sent my dad to Tech in 41 but he inlisted after Pearl Harbor and was sent to Bradley University for officer training. Later, my Two Aunts refused to go to Agnes Scott and ended up in Athens. All of the Grand Kids started going to this game in 55 and continued the tradition until the end. It was a great time living 17 miles from the big tit and Grant Frield. I was always handed a Dollar to give a kid to watch our car in the housing units on Techwood during the game.

My favorite game story was about a Basketball game in the early 60s when Kentucky came to town. My grandfather insisted that they use his car but that my Father would drive two of his friends and him to the Game. They were running late and jumped in the car and got to the old Sears building when they ran out of gas. My Grandfather said good luck and left my Father as he and his two friends ran to the game. Dad got Gas and came to the gate 10 minutes into the game discovering that they had his ticket. Listened on the radio as Tech upset Kentucky in the parking lot and did not talk to any of them on the way home.

Rambling Pride

Georgia Tech Fan
My maternal grandfather and his friend both started and promoted the tradition. Each Thanksgiving morning, before the game, they would load up all the players from both teams and take them over to Scottish Rite to meet the children they were playing for. It was a big boost in morale for the kids and and touching yet motivating reminder to the players as to what they were playing for. My grandfather and his friend, known affectionately as "the two Bobs" would make a point of shaking the hand of each player, thanking them and giving them a little silver football charm. A cool twist to the story - my dad played for Tech as a Freshman and got to briefly speak with and shake the hand of my grandfather, the man who would one day be his father-in-law. Unfortunately, my grandfather died before my dad had even met mom, but it was always special for her to know that her father and her husband had met and shaken hands. We have some of the programs for the 15+ years worth of games he was alive, I'll post them if I can find them. They tell more about the heart and the history.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Who remembers sitting in the old south endzone (the horseshoe) that felt like you were a mile from the field?
My father took me to the 1952 Army game. We were ranked #3 at the time and won handily 45 - 6. Dad and I were seated in the South end zone when a play I'll never forget happened. Tech's Dave Davis was punting from our 20 yard line. He was standing on the five yard line just outside the South end zone. When he kicked, I remember Army's twin safeties turning and running as fast as they could, but the ball went over their heads and rolled dead on the Army 6 inch line (according to the PA announcer - we couldn't tell from where we were!). This 80 yard punt from scrimmage was a Tech record, which I believe stood for many years but has since been surpassed.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Some memories, and sorry if already mentioned:
- players visiting Scottish Rite. In my day, it was day before the game.

- the AJC did breakdown of every position with a mini bio of all players at that position. They then gave opinion of which team they thought had the edge at that spot.

- Banquet at Cap City Club night before with both teams there. First class. Coaches introduced each player. Lots of laughs and good sportsmanship. glanville intro of Charles Dudish - "Dudish, what is your first name?"

A LOT of needy children helped by the Shriners

Some memories, and sorry if already mentioned:
- players visiting Scottish Rite. In my day, it was day before the game.

- the AJC did breakdown of every position with a mini bio of all players at that position. They then gave opinion of which team they thought had the edge at that spot.

- Banquet at Cap City Club night before with both teams there. First class. Coaches introduced each player. Lots of laughs and good sportsmanship. glanville intro of Charles Dudish - "Dudish, what is your first name?"

A LOT of needy children helped by the Shriners
I thought the Scottish Rite game was always on Thanksgiving Day. It was when I was in school in the early 60s

I guess I misunderstood what you meant when you said "the day before the game." I re-read it, and I guess you meant that the AJC did an article the day before the game, but when I initially read it, I thought you meant that the Scottish Rite game was the day before "the game," meaning the varsity game. My bad.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I guess I misunderstood what you meant when you said "the day before the game." I re-read it, and I guess you meant that the AJC did an article the day before the game, but when I initially read it, I thought you meant that the Scottish Rite game was the day before "the game," meaning the varsity game. My bad.

No, I see what you are saying now.

Actually, if old memory serves, the AJC (and there was a morning & evening paper then as well) ran these bios for about a week or so before the game, by position. Remember the varsity teams were off the Saturday before Thanksgiving so the AJC had space to fill.

It also seems that when network tv offered GT & ugag the chance to play the varsity game on Thanksgiving night of 71, a lot of the old guard at both schools were very upset (not to mention the Shriners) at what this would do to the Frosh game. A LOT of alums at both schools wanted a good portion of that tv money to be given to the Scottish Rite - which I do not think either school volunteered such.

There once was a time when the simpler life had its advantages I suppose.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, many of you youngsters have no idea this happened, but Thanksgiving week "back in the day" had a very special occasion. The annual Tech-Georgia freshman game on T'giving afternoon. There would be a large crowd at BDS, where it was always played, to watch the freshman class of each team take to the field. You see, freshman did not play on the varsity back then.

IIRC, the shriners promoted and hosted the game, with the theme being "strong legs run so weak ones can walk". It was a great way to enjoy the day after having turkey and dressing...since there was usually only one NFL on TV and it was normally the Lions.

At times, and especially this year, I wish they still had that game. It gave you a good insight to the future.
A great old tradition, i went to many games. I also remember the freshman basketball games that were played before the varsity back then

northgajacket

Banned
I think there could be the possibility of having a game similar to this with the use of players currently being redshirted and walk-ons. Be nice to have something like this on Thanksgiving morning again. When was the last game played. I know they played one in 1990.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
MyGrandfather (class of 23) sent my dad to Tech in 41 but he inlisted after Pearl Harbor and was sent to Bradley University for officer training. Later, my Two Aunts refused to go to Agnes Scott and ended up in Athens. All of the Grand Kids started going to this game in 55 and continued the tradition until the end. It was a great time living 17 miles from the big tit and Grant Frield. I was always handed a Dollar to give a kid to watch our car in the housing units on Techwood during the game.

My favorite game story was about a Basketball game in the early 60s when Kentucky came to town. My grandfather insisted that they use his car but that my Father would drive two of his friends and him to the Game. They were running late and jumped in the car and got to the old Sears building when they ran out of gas. My Grandfather said good luck and left my Father as he and his two friends ran to the game. Dad got Gas and came to the gate 10 minutes into the game discovering that they had his ticket. Listened on the radio as Tech upset Kentucky in the parking lot and did not talk to any of them on the way home.
If "watch your car for a dollar, mister?" meant the same thing with you as it did at Cincinnati's old Crosley Field, it was the unspoken that sold it: "Or else".

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Okay, many of you youngsters have no idea this happened, but Thanksgiving week "back in the day" had a very special occasion. The annual Tech-Georgia freshman game on T'giving afternoon. There would be a large crowd at BDS, where it was always played, to watch the freshman class of each team take to the field. You see, freshman did not play on the varsity back then.

IIRC, the shriners promoted and hosted the game, with the theme being "strong legs run so weak ones can walk". It was a great way to enjoy the day after having turkey and dressing...since there was usually only one NFL on TV and it was normally the Lions.

At times, and especially this year, I wish they still had that game. It gave you a good insight to the future.

My dad and all my uncles were shriners so going to that game was absolutely mandatory at our house. One thing you forgot to mention, the Wednesday before the game players from both schools would visit the children's hospital in Atlanta to sign autographs, give gifts and spread cheer to the little ones. In 1963 or so, I saw a Tech freshman team with several all state and Parade all american players who were from Valdosta's first mythical national championship team win this game. Good times.