A history lesson

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I think TO has proved over and over again that, in spite of injuries on and even bad play by the OL, we CAN still move the ball. LEAVE HIM IN THERE until he disproves me.

Completely agree - TO is athletic enough to make plays with the O-line we have -Ridiculous he was not in there on the final drive after how he played the drive before (including the kickoff return)

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
This rebuild shouldnt be so big that we have to lose to bad FCS teams along the way. There is no excusing today’s performance. It was way more about coaching than the personnel.

Oh I agree... There's no excuse for this loss, but when your trying to do something with personnel that doesn't have the ability to do it, your gonna have losses like this...

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Oh I agree... There's no excuse for this loss, but when your trying to do something with personnel that doesn't have the ability to do it, your gonna have losses like this...
Then you are bad coach... your job is to win games period... If that means running the ball 100 straight times when you would rather throw the ball, then that is what you do...

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
One year, GT scored 110 points against our nine 1-A (FBS) opponents. That's about 12 points per game. We lost all 9 games.

Who was our OC?

Ralph Friedgen.

1987 was a similar situation to the one we have in 2019. Curry ran a "3 yards and cloud of dust" offense. Ross came in determined to install a balanced offense. It took until a 1/3 of the way through his 3rd year for things to click (and to bring in recruits). We won 17 of our next 19 games. This isn't sandlot football. Even Bobby Ross and Ralph Friedgen couldn't install a precision passing offense in 2 seasons.

Just my way of saying a high percentage of posters on this board are clueless knuckleheads.
Good, now cherry pick the coaches that didn’t work out...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ralph was coaching big boy football in his mid 30s. Patenope is finally coaching power 5 at 50, and that is mainly due to being the safe play for Geoff Collins. If he was an even decent OC, how was his first G5 job two years ago.
If the offense continues to be this inept, dump Patenaude.

George Godsey is a tight ends coach at Miami and they’re in full tank mode. He has college and nfl coaching experience. I hope we reach out to him.
For Collins
P was a quick play .
P was not a safe play.
P was a cheaper play.

Others have money.
Gt is declining.

Lets hope that Cgc is successful enough to attract money to reverse the decline.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The reason we have the coaching staff we have has a lot to do with the willingness to take a job with the current roster.

A proven commodity wouldn’t have taken on this rebuilding job.

I don’t understand why we can’t comprehend that.
Love our players, we have solid guys especially on defense. I refuse to use GT football players as scapegoat for coaches short comings. You can bash on our players all you want, but it just helps to show your true colors.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Love our players, we have solid guys especially on defense. I refuse to use GT football players as scapegoat for coaches short comings. You can bash on our players all you want, but it just helps to show your true colors.

Players can be criticized. I don’t see why that is so controversial so long as it isn’t insulting.
I guess that wouldn’t make any sense to someone who is “protect Johnson at all costs” mode though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
18 gt roster= 55 sr, rs sr, rs jr
19 gt roster = 25 ditto.

18 was a much more mature team.
(Thats what made usf and pitt and duke so tough.)

Here in 19 we have young inexperienced qbs and thin ol that has injuries and a smaller group of upperclassmen.

In 18 w a bunch of upper classmen and a coaching staff with years of continuity we had several glaring coaching errors.

Coaching errors are a part of football.

We should keep counting them - for sure - to assess what should be done.

Yes the cheap oc who did a good job at coastal Carolina is on the watch list!
. The dc is also on watch list for after the whistle fouls!

Hard to pick on the dl coach as he was a college lb a few years ago. Now thats great to save money - the entire dl graduated and we cant afford a name brand dl coach I am enjoying the young dl guys improving. With the strategic decision to rotate players we may have issues for a while but down the road we could be stronger and at end of games which has killed us in the past.

RabidJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Winners "write" history to their own advantage. Losers cry that "it didn't happen that way". Here's hoping that this chapter in GT FB history reflects a resurgence to the "Glory Days" of yore. Go Jackets.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
One year, GT scored 110 points against our nine 1-A (FBS) opponents. That's about 12 points per game. We lost all 9 games.

Who was our OC?

Ralph Friedgen.

1987 was a similar situation to the one we have in 2019. Curry ran a "3 yards and cloud of dust" offense. Ross came in determined to install a balanced offense. It took until a 1/3 of the way through his 3rd year for things to click (and to bring in recruits). We won 17 of our next 19 games. This isn't sandlot football. Even Bobby Ross and Ralph Friedgen couldn't install a precision passing offense in 2 seasons.

Just my way of saying a high percentage of posters on this board are clueless knuckleheads.

Who was our OC?

Ralph Friedgen.

And Bill Lewis was 11-1 at East Carolina. What’s your point?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Players can be criticized. I don’t see why that is so controversial so long as it isn’t insulting.
I guess that wouldn’t make any sense to someone who is “protect Johnson at all costs” mode though.
Go read any of his posts, it's all in the players, none on coaching. I've already said it's tough to run any offense when you are running with walk ons on most of the line. Shouldn't have that this weekend though. And it's funny to say someone is in "protect Johnson at all costs" mode but not call out someone else who is in the mode of blame Johnson at an costs good it current issues.