A history lesson

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
One year, GT scored 110 points against our nine 1-A (FBS) opponents. That's about 12 points per game. We lost all 9 games.

Who was our OC?

Ralph Friedgen.

1987 was a similar situation to the one we have in 2019. Curry ran a "3 yards and cloud of dust" offense. Ross came in determined to install a balanced offense. It took until a 1/3 of the way through his 3rd year for things to click (and to bring in recruits). We won 17 of our next 19 games. This isn't sandlot football. Even Bobby Ross and Ralph Friedgen couldn't install a precision passing offense in 2 seasons.

Just my way of saying a high percentage of posters on this board are clueless knuckleheads.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry Paten-nut aint Ralph. So lets not run analogies of this guy versus that guy...from I heard from the radio was a staff that was coached in every facet.

Ralph wasn’t Ralph at that point. We now know him as a genius because of things that happened later. But at the time, it looked pretty bleak.

Put simply, hindsight is 20/20.

One year, GT scored 110 points against our nine 1-A (FBS) opponents. That's about 12 points per game. We lost all 9 games.

Who was our OC?

Ralph Friedgen.

1987 was a similar situation to the one we have in 2019. Curry ran a "3 yards and cloud of dust" offense. Ross came in determined to install a balanced offense. It took until a 1/3 of the way through his 3rd year for things to click (and to bring in recruits). We won 17 of our next 19 games. This isn't sandlot football. Even Bobby Ross and Ralph Friedgen couldn't install a precision passing offense in 2 seasons.

Just my way of saying a high percentage of posters on this board are clueless knuckleheads.
What hurt for 1987 was we lost Jerry Mays in Fall Camp. Then we had issues with the players buying in. Also we did not have a QB until we got.....a Duel threat Option Quarterback Shawn Jones.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Ralph wasn’t Ralph at that point. We now know him as a genius because of things that happened later. But at the time, it looked pretty bleak.

Put simply, hindsight is 20/20.

Ralph was coaching big boy football in his mid 30s. Patenope is finally coaching power 5 at 50, and that is mainly due to being the safe play for Geoff Collins. If he was an even decent OC, how was his first G5 job two years ago.
If the offense continues to be this inept, dump Patenaude.

George Godsey is a tight ends coach at Miami and they’re in full tank mode. He has college and nfl coaching experience. I hope we reach out to him.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ralph was coaching big boy football in his mid 30s. Patenope is finally coaching power 5 at 50, and that is mainly due to being the safe play for Geoff Collins. If he was an even decent OC, how was his first G5 job two years ago.
If the offense continues to be this inept, dump Patenaude.

George Godsey is a tight ends coach at Miami and they’re in full tank mode. He has college and nfl coaching experience. I hope we reach out to him.

I don't think we can afford it. IIrc, we're paying CDP low on the OC scale and CBK high on the OL scale. Our staff budget is already higher than CPJ's last year (IIrc) by a good bit.

The reason we have the coaching staff we have has a lot to do with the willingness to take a job with the current roster.

A proven commodity wouldn’t have taken on this rebuilding job.

I don’t understand why we can’t comprehend that.
This is incorrect. The reason we are limited in coaching is because coaches hesitate to come to Tech because of the Academics and its effects on recruiting. Alabama players cannot take and pass Calculus.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The reason we have the coaching staff we have has a lot to do with the willingness to take a job with the current roster.

A proven commodity wouldn’t have taken on this rebuilding job.

I don’t understand why we can’t comprehend that.

Because it's not true. CGC was talking about what he was going to do on offense within days of his hire, iirc, where it was clear that he was bringing his OC with him.

We also didn't have the budget for a proven OC and CBK (one of CGC's best friends).

When you have to make stuff up, you should probably stop.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Because it's not true. CGC was talking about what he was going to do on offense within days of his hire, iirc, where it was clear that he was bringing his OC with him.

We also didn't have the budget for a proven OC and CBK (one of CGC's best friends).

When you have to make stuff up, you should probably stop.

It is true. Look at the candidates. Collins and Whisenhunt. No one without ties and any potential wanted to touch this debacle.

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I really don't think we are in a position to criticize the coaches or the play calling for that matter at this point.... We are a bad football team that's in transition... A transition that everyone knew would be coming once CPJ stepped down..... I believe CDP is doing the best with what he has....If you want to admit it or not our OL is absolutely pitiful trying to block in this offense... The OL has to be completely rebuilt, they just got whipped by the Citadel DL.. Say that to yourself again.."Citadel DL".....This staff may very well be all hype and CGC may be in over his head, but to be honest its way way to early to tell.... We are 3 games into a pretty big rebuild and like it or not its probably gonna get worse before it gets better....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think we are in a position to criticize the coaches or the play calling for that matter at this point..

Where were you seating cause from section 102 I saw a lot to criticize a coaching staff that does not have his team ready to play. Oh and the play calling is a joke this is right now a middle school offense

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think we are in a position to criticize the coaches or the play calling for that matter at this point.... We are a bad football team that's in transition... A transition that everyone knew would be coming once CPJ stepped down..... I believe CDP is doing the best with what he has....If you want to admit it or not our OL is absolutely pitiful trying to block in this offense... The OL has to be completely rebuilt, they just got whipped by the Citadel DL.. Say that to yourself again.."Citadel DL".....This staff may very well be all hype and CGC may be in over his head, but to be honest its way way to early to tell.... We are 3 games into a pretty big rebuild and like it or not its probably gonna get worse before it gets better....
This rebuild shouldnt be so big that we have to lose to bad FCS teams along the way. There is no excusing today’s performance. It was way more about coaching than the personnel.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow

And the injuries to the ABL O-linemen can't be overlooked. We have to be patient-hopefully in a few years it will be worth it.