A few quick notes

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
He did look quicker in 12 and Johnson said something about that on his radioshow. It had to do with a play in the BYU game. Johnson told Vad that in 12 he would have had the legs to get that first down because he wasn't the starter then. Playing every series just makes you a step slower. I think he played his heart out in 12 for playing time. He knew he had the job in 13 so he didnt do that so much. Once he realized this wasn't for him, he sure wasn't going to hurt himself.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Boomergump and AE 87: I totally agree with the first synopsis; I think Vad Lee did his best, just not the right fit; fault, the coach for letting it go on so long. A matter of opinion on his quickness; he did not appear to be quick to me; however, he was fast enough in speed; another matter of opinion. Another view: quickness and decisiveness goes hand in hand. The mind controls the movements of the muscles to react. If the decisiveness is not up to par for the job, then, of course the quickness is direct response to the decisions of the mind.

To AE 87: I was specific, did you not read the post? Lack of quickness, lack of decisiveness, and lack of the will to mix it up (aggressiveness). Sorry, that is all you get; my opinions from watching his performances.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Boomergump and AE 87: I totally agree with the first synopsis; I think Vad Lee did his best, just not the right fit; fault, the coach for letting it go on so long. A matter of opinion on his quickness; he did not appear to be quick to me; however, he was fast enough in speed; another matter of opinion. Another view: quickness and decisiveness goes hand in hand. The mind controls the movements of the muscles to react. If the decisiveness is not up to par for the job, then, of course the quickness is direct response to the decisions of the mind.

To AE 87: I was specific, did you not read the post? Lack of quickness, lack of decisiveness, and lack of the will to mix it up (aggressiveness). Sorry, that is all you get; my opinions from watching his performances.

It's possible that I can read and was asking for something else than the same words. Which plays, which games showed Vad less suited for the offense in 2012 compared to TW in 2010?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
AE 87: I was not comparing or even thinking about Tevin Washington. I did not mention his name. I was merely stating the apparent fact that Vad Lee did not do well in this type of offense. I then gave specifics regarding this issue. I am sorry if you did not like my response, but it is what it is.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Have any of us ever taken a job and it just didn't end up being the right fit? I know I have. Eventually I needed to leave and it was nobody's fault. I have no hard feelings for Vad at all. He was really in a tough spot. You know quitting mid-season is wrong. You know you aren't getting it, but when you work hard in practice, you are still just good enough to hold on to the job. You don't want to let people down but you aren't succeeding either. The entire team is suffering and your sense of professionalism, character, and integrity are the only things that motivate you to keep going out there, not your love for the game. I feel for the kid. Like has been said before, win win for everybody. I will continue to root for the kid.

Well put - thank you.

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
It was easy to see that Vad Lee did not belong in this type of offense. He was not quick enough, he was not decisive enough, and he was very tentative when runing with the ball. He should never have never taken the bait from the coaches and signed with GT. He should have signed with a College who either ran the standard system or some equal mixing of passing and rushing. Here it is again!!!! "A square peg in a round hole". I know this quote irks some on the board, so have at it!

Vad looked awkward in the scheme this entire year. However, we the fans don't really know the whole story. The game Vad played last year at Chapel Hill was possibly the most electrifying offensive performance I can remember from a Tech QB. That said, certainly didn't see it after that game. Glimpses, but nothing sustained. I think Vad made the right decision for both himself and the team but doubt we'll ever know why we only saw how he could play in this offense for 1 game.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I'd be bummed to see Chaz leave. Yeah he's not high on the depth chart now, but it's not like he's any less proven than our starting DEs for next year.

I talked to him in November and he admitted he had been in the doghouse this season but was working hard to get back on the coaches good side. What he also told me that I found interesting and has likely stunted his development is that he came in at around 200 lbs, and Groh wanted him at 225 before he even got a chance for meaningful snaps. Groh left and then Roof wanted him at 240 and changed his position, so he's been working on gaining weight for the majority of the time he's been here.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd be bummed to see Chaz leave. Yeah he's not high on the depth chart now, but it's not like he's any less proven than our starting DEs for next year.

I talked to him in November and he admitted he had been in the doghouse this season but was working hard to get back on the coaches good side. What he also told me that I found interesting and has likely stunted his development is that he came in at around 200 lbs, and Groh wanted him at 225 before he even got a chance for meaningful snaps. Groh left and then Roof wanted him at 240 and changed his position, so he's been working on gaining weight for the majority of the time he's been here.

I agree. However, I don't see him sniffing the field unfortunately.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
- Bj Bostic is still at Tech and in classes...would expect him to at least be here until the Spring.

- As I have posted before Anthony Williams is returning for his Senior year.

- Morgan Bailey is not expected to be on the roster come Fall...Nothing official here but I was told that it would be a big surprise if he was on the team this year.

- I have not heard much on Zenon but I think he is still at GT.

- Chaz Cheeks is one to keep a eye on.

Sounds like Anthony did some things the staff frowned upon. He's now off the football team.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
He did look quicker in 12 and Johnson said something about that on his radioshow. It had to do with a play in the BYU game. Johnson told Vad that in 12 he would have had the legs to get that first down because he wasn't the starter then. Playing every series just makes you a step slower. I think he played his heart out in 12 for playing time. He knew he had the job in 13 so he didnt do that so much. Once he realized this wasn't for him, he sure wasn't going to hurt himself.
This makes a lot of sense to me. You might say the same about JT ( playing his heart out to earn playing time), and next year he's not as wild with his pitches.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Your point about quickness as it relates to decisiveness is a good one. If I look at Vad's physical attributes in a vacuum, he is pretty quick. However, he effectively played anything but quick (due to reads etc) and I get your point. Well stated.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Your point about quickness as it relates to decisiveness is a good one. If I look at Vad's physical attributes in a vacuum, he is pretty quick. However, he effectively played anything but quick (due to reads etc) and I get your point. Well stated.

So, would you say CPJ erred in not seeing this obvious lack of quickness and decisiveness in trying to get Vad to run his offense for two plus years? If Rodney's assessment is correct, it seems he would also be right about CPJ in general. I think that in 2013 he was mentally in his own head and couldn't sort it out. I don't think there was an athletic or intellectual deficit.

gtdrew

Banned
So, would you say CPJ erred in not seeing this obvious lack of quickness and decisiveness in trying to get Vad to run his offense for two plus years? If Rodney's assessment is correct, it seems he would also be right about CPJ in general. I think that in 2013 he was mentally in his own head and couldn't sort it out. I don't think there was an athletic or intellectual deficit.
I think it's similar to when a manager keeps running a starting pitcher out there when he's going through a rough patch or has just flat out lost his stuff. You've seen the guy do it in practice, in side sessions, in spring camp, and in fall practice. At some point, if you still feel he's your best option, you have to keep running him out there. I don't think there was any sort of lack of quickness or decisiveness in game action last year, or in the spring. In fact, I thought the start of this year was adequate. I think the UNC game, which I also believe was about when Vad decided he'd had enough, was he decided he'd had all he could take physically. From there, I think it was a matter of Justin not being ready.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Vad looked awkward in the scheme this entire year. However, we the fans don't really know the whole story. The game Vad played last year at Chapel Hill was possibly the most electrifying offensive performance I can remember from a Tech QB. That said, certainly didn't see it after that game. Glimpses, but nothing sustained. I think Vad made the right decision for both himself and the team but doubt we'll ever know why we only saw how he could play in this offense for 1 game.
I wonder if it was because he wasn't asked to run much, if any, option in 2012. He was asked to do it in the early part of 2013 and it was such a mess, they quit asking him to do it. By that time his mind (and heart) was made up.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Jamal was/is the main JT cheerleader. I like his tweets for their positivity, but I thought those were out of pocket.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's similar to when a manager keeps running a starting pitcher out there when he's going through a rough patch or has just flat out lost his stuff. You've seen the guy do it in practice, in side sessions, in spring camp, and in fall practice. At some point, if you still feel he's your best option, you have to keep running him out there. I don't think there was any sort of lack of quickness or decisiveness in game action last year, or in the spring. In fact, I thought the start of this year was adequate. I think the UNC game, which I also believe was about when Vad decided he'd had enough, was he decided he'd had all he could take physically. From there, I think it was a matter of Justin not being ready.
Sure hope JT is ready this season. He showed some glimpses of real potential last season.