A Few Other Freshman Updates?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
For those of you who have read more practice reports and listened to interviews, have we heard any tidbits so far re:

Gray?
Glanton and Henderson?
Vic?
Wigley and Dotson?

Thanks in advance.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
For those of you who have read more practice reports and listened to interviews, have we heard any tidbits so far re:

Gray?
Glanton and Henderson?
Vic?
Wigley and Dotson?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing except that one poster reported that they looked good in shorts and would be the most popular players until the fifth or sixth game. CPJ said they could not yet hold on to the ball and had not adjusted to the speed of the game from HS to college. Someone did mention that one was drinking from a fire hose. I too would like some more specifics on this group.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like Gray to start along side Golden. I haven't seen him play but based on potential and who is starting on the other side I just like the upside better. I'm more in the boat of potential athleticism/upside over experience but I'm not the one who see's them everyday in practice.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was mentioned that Gray had a pick 6 in 7 on 7 drills and Pat Gamble said Glanton showed some good pass rush moves

Thanks. This is the stuff I'm talking about. I know that nobody has any clue how good these guys will be in actual game action, but every little bit helps me get to TML!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think our freshmen are all great prospects. I'm not expecting any to light the world on fire immediately.

Now toward the end of camp, or as the season starts, when the learning curve is a bit less steep....then we will have a better idea of who might contribute. None have done anything yet to be anointed anything but bench warmer thus far.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I spent a decent amount of time up close to Vic the other day. We have all raved about what we saw in his HS film. Nothing prepared me for what a physical specimen he is right now, as he steps on campus. None of this guarantees that he'll be a good college player. How long it'll take for the game to come to him, who knows? But, right now he's built like almost nothing else we have--including upperclassmen.

Ripped. Stout.

AJ Gray is also quite impressive looking at field-level. He's got a lot of versatile possibility just because of his athleticism and h.s. experience. He'll be an intriguing one to keep an eye on.

Nate Cottrell absolutely wowed me on one play when he split 2 defenders and flat outran the ball for a nice catch down the sideline. Cerge-Henderson moves nicely for his size. He pleasantly surprised me on the field when I saw him back in the Spring.

Last edited:
I expect CPJ to play a more freshman than in recent years. I think we have to many good players to keep off the field but I'm sure the coaches will work the numbers out. I just want to more play because of the experience they will have in a few years.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I spent a decent amount of time up close to Vic the other day. We have all raved about what we saw in his HS film. Nothing prepared me for what a physical specimen he is right now, as he steps on campus. None of this guarantees that he'll be a good college player. How long it'll take for the game to come to him, who knows? But, right now he's built like almost nothing else we have--including upperclassmen.

Ripped. Stout.

AJ Gray is also quite impressive looking at field-level. He's got a lot of versatile possibility just because of his athleticism and h.s. experience. He'll be an intriguing one to keep an eye on.

Nate Cottrell absolutely wowed me on one play when he split 2 defenders and flat outran the ball for a nice catch down the sideline. Cerge-Henderson moves nicely for his size. He pleasantly surprised me on the field when I saw him back in the Spring.
Thanks for these! Keep 'em coming.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If for no other reason than to balance the classes out a little bit, we will see more true frosh on the field this year. We had a large class, mostly due to attrition other than graduation, last year. I am sure CPJ doesn't want to HAVE to have a huge class every fourth year. Continuity is pretty important.

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If we have to start and play a lot of freshmen our year will not be that good. Typically 18-year-olds cannot compete against 21 and 22 year old men

Generally agree with possible exceptions of some "physically ready" players like Gray, Bryan, and maybe L-Davis. We have had success with frosh ABs and this year we may see some freshmen ST players and WRs contribute. With over two dozen freshmen in this class IMO 8-10 will be ready to compete in some role.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Generally agree with possible exceptions of some "physically ready" players like Gray, Bryan, and maybe L-Davis. We have had success with frosh ABs and this year we may see some freshmen ST players and WRs contribute. With over two dozen freshmen in this class IMO 8-10 will be ready to compete in some role.
CPJ won't play frosh unless they can make a positive impact. We have 4 guys that were EE plus we have a class with a lot of talent and some "physically ready". I agree with Boomer there will some balancing but players will be ready to compete in the eyes of CPJ or CTR. Our first two games are going to be competitive enough to get some freshmen battle ready. I don't think either Alcorn or Tulane will be push overs like Elon was a couple of years back.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am sure CPJ doesn't not want to HAVE to have a huge class every fourth year.
tumblr_m54r6glqBy1r2gow4o1_500.gif