A few of my thoughts on Spring practice

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
If we can get the defenders to jump a couple times, they will refocus on the ball and start to block out the snap count. Last year for some reason we knew VT was gonna try to time the snap but we could not go on two. We kept jumping offsides over and over. Even the WRs jumped.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, now that you amateurs have gotten your pathetic opinions off your chests, here's what just happened Friday night. ;)

This offense is gonna punch some people in the mouth this year. On a rain soaked field with no threat of passing against an improved defense that knows the offense as well as CPJ, that is intimately familiar with the weaknesses and tendencies of the individual players on offense, with last year's third string qb, the offense somehow ground out around 300 yds rushing. CPJ was disgusted with the tippy-toe ballerina offense we ran last year. He's building it from the inside out this year. We are going to be much larger at CGC, Laskey is a battering ram, and with TB, the qb follow is back. If you are playing us, you are going to have to keep your linebackers and safeties at home, and your DE's better be pinching to the inside. (Is there anything more beautiful than a 4 yd Bback run on third and three while sitting on a lead late in the 4th qtr?) This year's interior offense will look more like 2008-2010 than it does 2011-2013. We may not have a home run threat like Dwyer, but that just means we get to run more plays to punish the defense before we score. The other thing I think I saw in the spring game is that our defense is doing a lot of what VT does against us (and other teams are beginning to also). CPJ is sick of losing that game, maybe more so than the uga game and is preparing our offense for it. Foster better bring a new bag of tricks. As usual, the key will be qb play, but how CPJ uses the qbs may be as important as how well the individuals play. Barring injury will we see the backup get a third of the snaps? Would not surprise me.

Now despite the expert analysis above, I have to confess that my judgment is occasionally wrong. When CPJ hired Ted Roof, I threw up a little bit in my mouth as I had serial flashbacks of the massive offensive talent negated by the defenses of 98 & 99. I'm thinking now it was a great hire. I believe I see more depth, effort, comfort, pursuit, reaction. It has been so long since we put a defense on the field that was a joy to watch, that gets the crowd into the game, that by sheer intimidation makes the other team bobble snaps, bust plays, hesitate, play tentatively. That will get you the ball back when you need it in the 4th qtr. We look young and hungry.

A 54 yd field goal in the rain? If we cross the 35, put at least 3 on the board? Has anyone actually seen Butker and EO Whealler together in the same room?

How are they gonna keep us out of the playoffs in 2015 when we beat uga, VT, Miami, Clemson, FSU, and ND?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, now that you amateurs have gotten your pathetic opinions off your chests, here's what just happened Friday night. ;)

This offense is gonna punch some people in the mouth this year. On a rain soaked field with no threat of passing against an improved defense that knows the offense as well as CPJ, that is intimately familiar with the weaknesses and tendencies of the individual players on offense, with last year's third string qb, the offense somehow ground out around 300 yds rushing. CPJ was disgusted with the tippy-toe ballerina offense we ran last year. He's building it from the inside out this year. We are going to be much larger at CGC, Laskey is a battering ram, and with TB, the qb follow is back. If you are playing us, you are going to have to keep your linebackers and safeties at home, and your DE's better be pinching to the inside. (Is there anything more beautiful than a 4 yd Bback run on third and three while sitting on a lead late in the 4th qtr?) This year's interior offense will look more like 2008-2010 than it does 2011-2013. We may not have a home run threat like Dwyer, but that just means we get to run more plays to punish the defense before we score. The other thing I think I saw in the spring game is that our defense is doing a lot of what VT does against us (and other teams are beginning to also). CPJ is sick of losing that game, maybe more so than the uga game and is preparing our offense for it. Foster better bring a new bag of tricks. As usual, the key will be qb play, but how CPJ uses the qbs may be as important as how well the individuals play. Barring injury will we see the backup get a third of the snaps? Would not surprise me.

Now despite the expert analysis above, I have to confess that my judgment is occasionally wrong. When CPJ hired Ted Roof, I threw up a little bit in my mouth as I had serial flashbacks of the massive offensive talent negated by the defenses of 98 & 99. I'm thinking now it was a great hire. I believe I see more depth, effort, comfort, pursuit, reaction. It has been so long since we put a defense on the field that was a joy to watch, that gets the crowd into the game, that by sheer intimidation makes the other team bobble snaps, bust plays, hesitate, play tentatively. That will get you the ball back when you need it in the 4th qtr. We look young and hungry.

A 54 yd field goal in the rain? If we cross the 35, put at least 3 on the board? Has anyone actually seen Butker and EO Whealler together in the same room?

How are they gonna keep us out of the playoffs in 2015 when we beat uga, VT, Miami, Clemson, FSU, and ND?
Are you sure you are not GOLD Mule?