A few of my thoughts on Spring practice

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure we could have a worse year at Tackle than last year. My only sanity comes from... we will either be the same bad or better than 2013. Chamberlain had me worried that he would start, but I saw improvement in the spring game. Improvement does not mean great play, but better than 2013.

This D was homed in on our O. They were shooting gaps and timing the snap as if they had been practicing it for 3 weeks. They were constantly diving right for the QB right at the snap. It was like roof was trying to expose a weakness to under the center snaps. Either way, I know our O should be prepared for these tactics next year.

It was RAINING, the football was soaked, and the D was playing 8 to 9 in the box with 3 weeks of practice. No excuses, but advantage Defense.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure we could have a worse year at Tackle than last year. My only sanity comes from... we will either be the same bad or better than 2013. Chamberlain had me worried that he would start, but I saw improvement in the spring game. Improvement does not mean great play, but better than 2013.

This D was homed in on our O. They were shooting gaps and timing the snap as if they had been practicing it for 3 weeks. They were constantly diving right for the QB right at the snap. It was like roof was trying to expose a weakness to under the center snaps. Either way, I know our O should be prepared for these tactics next year.

It was RAINING, the football was soaked, and the D was playing 8 to 9 in the box with 3 weeks of practice. No excuses, but advantage Defense.

VT did a good job at that. I don't understand why we're not changing our count up to throw the D off some.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

My thought was Roof was calling that purposely so the O line would see it, see it and see it again for recognition. I wouldn't be surprised if CPJ and CTR had that in mind going into the game. While changing the snap count helps the O line just HAS to be able to recognize the blitz and make the adjustment to block it. Otherwise we'll see more and more teams use it against Tech.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
My thought was Roof was calling that purposely so the O line would see it, see it and see it again for recognition. I wouldn't be surprised if CPJ and CTR had that in mind going into the game. While changing the snap count helps the O line just HAS to be able to recognize the blitz and make the adjustment to block it. Otherwise we'll see more and more teams use it against Tech.
Im hoping that the HUNH will help our lineman diagnose how to block the play called. I think it will keep teams off balance and give us an advantage pre-snap. I liked seeing a new wrinkle to change things up. Hope we get very good at it and it improves our teams whiffs on blocking assignments.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be more disappointed if the O dominated the D on a rainy night after three weeks of practice. The biggest change is that the second string D dominated the O more than last year. I think the second string D did a much better job than 2013.

Davis, Nealy, and Marcordes did very well. Harrell and Tre should add depth of this position to keep us from being tired by then end of the game.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
my thoughts:

gut tells me the OL is just ok/bad again so tough to judge the DL or the OL for that matter. We have real problems at RT. On the individual level, I do think our C and LT will be ok...

On O I don't see any game changers or big playmakers vs tough FBS teams. JT needs to help provide some of that and maybe his threat will open it up for other guys. but right now in year six we still have not solved our 1-8 problem in talent.

I have said it for a few weeks, some laughed at me, but SDE is our biggest problem...this will be a real problem vs running teams like UGA down the line. Need to set that edge and stick. Not sure we have the bodies.

I do think TB is better than jaybo shaw...so he is an backup upgrade. But for me still a backup.

I agree with those that still think our pass pro scheme is bad....it is. It doesn't work, it simply does not put the players in the best positions to succeed. I still maintain we need to use more zone in the run game, which will help the pass game since you can use the scheme in either case (disguise)

Saw positives from Laskey and Wilson...Zach should be fine running. Still bad in blocking but that also is a scheme issue.

Can't judge the D at all really. We are playing vs our O. I have no clue about the back 5. Nealy seems active, and freeman has potential. Nice to see. I Johnson blew too many tackles

The D got too tired at the end...didn't like it. Reminded me of UGA.

BB - Same as past few years
OL - Same which is not good
WR - Same, which is to say few opportunities due to scheme so I don't see much more
AB - May be a step worse
QB - Could be better
Scheme - Same

DL - Hard to judge, gut tells me equal to last year
LB- I think we will play better
DB - Tough to tell, I think we may play better, but stats may not show it....DL has to hold up.

It really feels like alot of the same with Pauls teams....I hate the fact I recognize I am getting negative with the year over year teams. I am. It just feels like another 7 maybe 8 win year thank god for 2-3 really weak opponents.

I am trying to be positive...I really like JT. I really think there are some guys that can do more with a different system. I would love if paul just wrinkled the O a bit with a TE and some zone schemes....

I really like Gotsis. I think freeman has a chance. I like Nealy. I like a few of our DBs...young but athletes. The D talent to me seems better than the O talent (just look at the draft chances)

But, I just...see the same thing...

like your thoughts esp comment about DEF getting tired at end
don't see how DL will be equal w/o JAtt-type performer
we really need the OL to coalesce but with Sewak my gut says itain'tgonnahappen well enough
I can't believe one of the Sr Abacks will not leave early unless Hill is not coming back
at least the WRs now LOOK in appearance like top level guys

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Right now Devine would not be able to go more than a series or two. Not enough stamina. Our best hope is that he drops 30 lbs between now and August and gets into good cardio condition. That is doubtful. Maybe Roberts will make it back and step in and help out. Other than that, I think we have to coach up Chamberlin and hope he gets it.

Go Jackets!
What the heck happened to Errin Joe?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The defensive line getting tired did worry me some but I did like what I saw. That linebacker core is probably the best I've seen since Daryl Smith/Key Fox. They were just everywhere. It's a shame we're switching to the 4-2-5 because all the three of those guys were just outstanding. Davis really impressed me. I really wish we could've seen JT but TB looked like he could do the job just fine. I was also impressed by Ty and wish we could've seen him with the first team offense. He looked a little lost trying to throw but was a natural at running the option for being so young. I'm also not worried that much about AB. Zenon looked great IMO.

Also, I have no idea how Laskey is such a beast when he listens to Taylor Swift to get pumped up.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
The defensive line getting tired did worry me some but I did like what I saw. That linebacker core is probably the best I've seen since Daryl Smith/Key Fox. They were just everywhere. It's a shame we're switching to the 4-2-5 because all the three of those guys were just outstanding. Davis really impressed me. I really wish we could've seen JT but TB looked like he could do the job just fine. I was also impressed by Ty and wish we could've seen him with the first team offense. He looked a little lost trying to throw but was a natural at running the option for being so young. I'm also not worried that much about AB. Zenon looked great IMO.

Also, I have no idea how Laskey is such a beast when he listens to Taylor Swift to get pumped up.

It's white boy music!

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
I really wouldn't mind having TB and JT split a bunch of the snaps next year. They both have distinctive advantages and it would allow both guys to stay healthy and rested throughout the season.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Some quotes I hadn't seen/heard before this Winkeljohn article
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041914aab.html

"We didn't go shotgun at all this spring," Byerly said. "I think we've just gotten better quality reps in practice. There is no sense of false hope in that we're transitioning to a shotgun offense or what have you.

"Whenever you add something, you get something less out of something else," Laskey said. "This spring, we really kind of focused on our core plays and getting better at what we do best."

"Taking out the shotgun, and we put in a little bit of the hurry-up which kind of gives us a different tempo. I think that is going to give us a little more of an edge. We definitely have gotten back to more of the basics."

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
These are my opinions, feel free to agree or disagree. Just posting them.

- I thought Justin Thomas would have had the QB job locked down and there would be no doubt about who's job it is by anyone..but after Spring there are still a few people who will say Tim Byerly should be the guy. I think his is more of a testimony to Byerly than Thomas. However in my mind come opening game Justin Thomas is 100% the starter.

- Maybe it is just me but I underestimated Byerly's toughness running.

- Well, hello Ty Griffin...I have posted several times in the past that I thought Griffin was a lock to move positions sooner rather than later. But I think he has proven me wrong this Spring and will stick with the QB's. Paul Johnson has had quite a few good things to say about him this Spring. He is farther along in the offense than I expected him to be.

- All in all I thought Matthew Jordan played well for someone who has been in this offense for three weeks...you can see the type of player he is by the way he runs. He is a tough, hungry kid of guy who will lay his body out for the extra yard.

- A guy who flexed his muscles this Spring was Zach Laskey. Coach Johnson about how impressed he was with Laskey this Spring...There is little doubt as to who is the starter here. He has bulked up a bit and looks ready to finish off his career at Tech on a high note.

- Travis Custis has shown why everyone was is so high on him...Several players made remarks of how tough of a runner he is and what kind of player they think he will be. Unfortunately we didnt get to see him play tonight due to a undisclosed injury but I am sure we will get to see a lot of him come Fall.

- The OL definitely had some issues this Spring but the seemed to hit a bit of a stride the last week...don't get me wrong, we have a long ways to go here but I am encouraged by what has transpired the last week.

- Shamire Devine showed what he could do on a few plays tonight...has the potential to be a real mauler for us. He has to have a good off-season...and get the weight down in the 340 range.

- I have been a huge fan of Chris Griffin forever now, I am happy to see him with the first string. I think he has a ton of potential. Really think he is going to be a good one for us.

- I really hope we get Chase Roberts back in the Fall, I would be comfortable with him and Griffin as our starting tackles.

- To be honest I really think we need a coaching change in this area. I feel that Sewak is by far the weak link on the staff and don't think he is a good on field coach.

- Look forward to what Deandre Smelter is going to do this year...by the way did anyone see his block on Jamal Golden? Wow.

- It is very rare for Coach Johnson to heap praise on someone, but he has been raving about KeShun Freeman. He once again praised him after the game today saying he is someone he noticed that keeps making plays. Before Spring I thought KeShun was a lock to redshirt but it doesn't look that way now. He had four tackles in the game tonight...He is someone to be excited about moving forward.

- Speaking of the WDE spot we have a good battle on our hands with Jabari Hunt-Days and KeShun Freeman right now...You have to give credit to JHD as he has been totally fine with the move and commented that he is happy doing whatever helps the team...Come fall we will add Kenderius Whitehead to the battle. I was really concerned about this spot before Spring but I like where it is headed...We have some good young talent and I am looking forward to how the playing time breaks down between these three.

- The other position battle I am interested in is who backs up Adam Gotsis and Shawn Green. Pat Gamble had a really good scrimmage before he was in a wreck...Jimmie Kitchen has some things he can do and Darius Commissiong is the one with the highest upside in my mind. I think all of these guys are ahead of Francis Kallon.

- Shawn Green looks to be primed for a good Senior year if he can stay healthy.

- The DL spot to be concerned about is SDE...Tyler Stargel is by far the leader but I am not too sure how sold I am on him yet. He is the best we have by far at the moment.

- The player I am most excited about is Tyler Marcordes. As I posted the other day his light has really turned on and he is in great shape. He is huge now. He had 7 tackles tonight...however it looked like he suffered a concussion.

-A guy who has also seem to blow up this Spring is Quayshawn Nealy. The last two scrimmages he has been all over the place. In the Spring game he had 7 tackles.

- I really like our linebacker core once we get Anthony Harrell back...Macordes, Nealy, Harrell and PJ Davis is a fine group.

- Glad to have Isaiah Johnson back but from I watched him tonight he did have some bad moments...I am hoping he is a leader for us this season.

- Our back 5 hasn't been tested that much...I am very interested to see how they perform when the lights turn on.

- That Harrison Butker has quite a leg.

- Overall I end the Spring more optimistic than I was before it started...The areas that I am concerned with is RT and SDE...Our OL is very thin and I am hoping we have some Freshmen come in and earn some time right away. Of course ball security was a major issue tonight but that had a lot to do with the rain.

- How this team holds up health wise is key...We can't afford injuries to the OL or CB's.

CPJ talks about getting the best 11 on the field. Do you see possibly having JHD on at one of the DE spots and then Whitehead/Freeman on the other?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Lot of hand wringing over the spring game. My biggest complaint was / is ball security. I don't care how wet and heavy the damn ball is....hold onto it. As for SDE...I actually Stargel may be almost as good as our guys last year. The big drop off is replacing sneezy and I'm more hopeful at that spot now than at the end of last year. We honestly won't know what we have till we strap it on in the fall and may not know till that first big game.

I'm not worrying about the O like most of yall. The D side of things ( and ST a couple years) is what has brought us the majority of our losses during CPJ's tenure. Some years have been better than others on O but the D has been the weakness. True even in 2008 and 2009 IMO. I've always been a big fan of Roof. Feel very good about having him run the D.

As a side note...I spent the first half of the spring game down near the sidelines (retreated to the overhang for the 2nd half). It was obvious down there that guys on both sides of the ball were bringing it and laying some lumber on one another. Sloppy yes but also good physicality. I liked.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This snap count thing worries me. Roddy commented on it, saying something like "we tend to snap on the same count a lot and the defense is jumping the play." Some times when they did that the quickest lineman who ever lived could not have gotten in position to block in time. On the plus side, we do have some quick d-linemen and linebackers.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
On triple option plays the Aback motion man seems to dictate when the ball has to be snapped. When the Aback gets to the proper place after motion the ball has to be snapped in order for the play to work I do not see the snap count per se being the primary issue except on plays where Aback positioning is not important. The defense can gamble and "time" the count based on Aback motion/position.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On triple option plays the Aback motion man seems to dictate when the ball has to be snapped. When the Aback gets to the proper place after motion the ball has to be snapped in order for the play to work I do not see the snap count per se being the primary issue except on plays where Aback positioning is not important. The defense can gamble and "time" the count based on Aback motion/position.
I think you are correct to a degree, but if you notice, on a TO play and a Rocket Toss the timing is totally different. So, the defender would have to be guessing the play too. In any case, our motion man does tell the defense a snap is coming. We have to vary some things up.