A couple of concerns

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
1. Mathew Jordan. Does anyone know how well has he progressed as a QB? Whenever I watched him play the timing was off and he just looked sloppy. I hope he gets a significant amount of reps against Tulane. That would mean GT would have a comfortable lead.

2. Pass rush. Where were the sacks? Can we generate sacks this game?

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I share your concern about a backup QB, but let's face it, without JT there is zero "darkhorse" talk for GT. I hope MJ gets some good reps as well.

Ted Roof had some great comments on the AJC page for Tulane game prep about generating a 4 man pass rush this week.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting.Last yr they had their 2nd best game of yr vs Tech.They may remember that.They got stomped by dook last yr and that showed this yr.
I will be very happy if we hold their OFF to 10 pts or less.If we don't dominate Tulane,we may have long PM in South Bend.
With JT ,we will slice/dice on Off,unless we TO the ball.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Matthew Jordan has zero qb snaps in a real game. We just have to wait and see and give him time to grow on the field. JT was pretty shaky in his first year and it worked out pretty good for us.

We forced a bunch of incompletions vs Alcorn that would have been sacks if the qb hadn't of gotten rid of the ball. He surely didn't have all day in the pocket like qb's last year.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I doubt we generate a lot of sacks against Tulane. I think they will opt to get the ball out quickly. Unless you are Penn State no one tries to stretch the field vertically once you realize the pass rush cannot be contained. If we get to the QB early, they will try to get the ball out on quick slants and screens.

We don't really need to get a lot of sacks to be effective on D. We just need to be able to limit what they can do, and make them play with half of their playbook.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Alcorn used a quick-get it out-passing attack. Hard to pressure. There are not many teams, not named Ohio St, that can win it with a third string QB.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
1. Mathew Jordan. Does anyone know how well has he progressed as a QB? Whenever I watched him play the timing was off and he just looked sloppy. I hope he gets a significant amount of reps against Tulane. That would mean GT would have a comfortable lead.

apropos of nothing and wrong thread, but just read a piece in the New Orleans paper about MSU's great 2014 season. Long "interview" with raving AD, but more like Q&A by email, in which they manage to avoid without a single mention, none, nada, zip, the OB.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
[QUOTE="Skeptic, post: 175105, member: 2175] Long "interview" with raving AD, but more like Q&A by email, in which they manage to avoid without a single mention, none, nada, zip, the OB. [/QUOTE]

And this surprises you? I can't blame them. The OB was a horrible reality check. Without it, what a great season with many weeks in the Top 5.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's true that Jordan doesn't have any real game experience. He has looked pretty good in his times under center in the spring games, however. The young man can flat run. That and being tough (no problem I could see there) are our first two requirements for a QB. The rest is just a matter of game experience. Not much likelihood of getting that while Tim is healthy, hence the move to AB. That should tell people here something, btw; Coach wouldn't have moved him in the first place if he didn't think he was too talented to ride the pines.

And I hope Tim is back soon. We don't want to train a QB on the field in a starting role if we can help it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="Skeptic, post: 175105, member: 2175] Long "interview" with raving AD, but more like Q&A by email, in which they manage to avoid without a single mention, none, nada, zip, the OB.

And this surprises you? I can't blame them. The OB was a horrible reality check. Without it, what a great season with many weeks in the Top 5.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it did. Surprise me. Hard to dismiss the crashing end to their season without even a mention. Not a very classy technique.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't know, but if he was better than Byerly he'd have been the backup instead.

Re: the pass rush--lots of short passes last week, but I don't know how much you can take from the Alcorn game. Not a turnover-happy game like we had on defense last year either. I don't know if you should be concerned--we just don't know much yet

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I don't think anyone knows the answer to #1. Jordan just hasn't played much, if at all, publicly at QB.

For the second question, we weren't going to sack Alcorn the way their structured their offense. They pretty much were focused on getting rid of the ball as quickly as possible and only threw the ball downfield a couple of times. From what I can tell, Tulane will try to get downfield a lot more, so I think we'll have a better opportunity to show our pass rush.

Seems to me Coach Johnson teaches next man up so I'm optimistic to see what he can do. Hopefully we got em by 35 at half and MJ gets the opportunity so we can see him in action.

My concern is, that without Byerly, JT will play most or all of what we all hope is a meaningless game after the first half. The exposure of Justin Thomas to a ding is real, but I can't get too worried, because the reality is he was going to play 60 minutes against Notre Dame in seven more days. If we have the game under control early, Justin can play every snap and hand off, hand off, hand off.

[QUOTE="Skeptic, post: 175105, member: 2175] Long "interview" with raving AD, but more like Q&A by email, in which they manage to avoid without a single mention, none, nada, zip, the OB.

there was a feature article on Miss State from the SEC media days in Hoover that talked about their great season last year, five weeks at number one, how tough the SEC West was and is going to be again. And yes, a mention of their loss to Ole Miss, but not a whisper of their dismantling by the Yellow Jackets in the Orange Bowl. We are invisible to these people.