A couple of Anree Saint-Amour articles from Ken

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A 10 year old could have told you at the end of the Miami game that you might wanna make an adjustment.
The ironic/sad thing is that we got beat by the very play the prevent D is designed to stop: the deep Hail Mary.

To be fair, Roof had his guys in position to make the game winning play, they just didn’t execute at the moment of truth.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think TR defense works when you have superior physical players than the other team. It actually reminded me of the Bill Curry days. We ran an offense that worked when we had better athletes than the other guys and sometimes we won with equal talent. I saw us lose to a much inferior Wake Forrest team in WS when we should have beaten them by more than 2 touchdowns. The offensive play calling was awful that day. There were games when TR had some D calls that were head scratchers as well. Can you say "bubble screens".

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
A 10 year old could have told you at the end of the Miami game that you might wanna make an adjustment.

I think you got it backwards, Miami begged Tech to make an adjustment and Roof did not budge, Roof did the right thing. It's fans with very limited football knowledge that just see Tech giving up 7/8 yards over and over that were screaming press, thats what Miami wanted. In the end Roof did right, got Miami into 4th and long without pressing, had 4th and long covered but got beat because one player did not bat the ball down. Had nothing to do with Roof,

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I think you got it backwards, Miami begged Tech to make an adjustment and Roof did not budge, Roof did the right thing. It's fans with very limited football knowledge that just see Tech giving up 7/8 yards over and over that were screaming press, thats what Miami wanted. In the end Roof did right, got Miami into 4th and long without pressing, had 4th and long covered but got beat because one player did not bat the ball down. Had nothing to do with Roof,
The main reason they were even in 4th and long was a penalty. They took over at their own 8 with about 2:30 left and drove fairly easily to midfield in about a minute. We were only up 2 so all they needed was a FG. That outcome had plenty to do with Roof.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

I think you've got selective memory. He didn't get to 4th down until someone moved Lawrence up. Roof was lucky that Lawrence is/was a solid tackler, or we would've been toast about 6 or 7 times before he got moved up to change the RPO read, because the safety help wasn't there.

Force the QB that wasn't making downfield plays in the rain to make a play. That's what we should've done, imo. The QB was at about 200 yards passing for the game before the last drive.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They ran the bubble screen because we gave it to them. It was the safe throw and out of bounds to stop the clock. Should have forced a throw to the middle to keep clock moving. I can see giving up that play a couple of times but at some point make a change in the defense. Even the 4th down catch was to the sidelines to stop the clock if necessary.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Lol

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
lol, ok Nod. You must’ve missed them driving it all the way down the field. Sorry to throw heat at your man Roofy.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Roof refused to change to what Coach wanted. If we intercept, he is still dc at gt.

He didn't , they didn't , and its over.

Too his credit he did get pelton to rotate some of the backups and the dl was aggressive sooner than in past. Also the defensive cubbard seems to have more talent.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Disagree a little, Miami didn’t light us up last year and that’s without us getting pressure. I think us creating more negative plays and getting pressure will make offenses press more, especially if our offense is humming. This will offset the struggle we might would see from an inexperienced secondary imo. This is not a hit on last years secondary either, but imo we have more athleticism on the field now, it’s just a matter of will they learn fast and produce. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a little worried about the secondary but this D system benefits the DB’s majorly and makes their jobs easier if the front 7 are doing their job imo.
The Miami game went downhill for two reasons. 1) There was a tropical storm that started in the 3rd quarter and didnt stop until that bull**** catch on 4th down. 2) Brant Mitchell going out exposed the middle of our defense. We were shutting the run game down until 51 went out.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So, I started to comment but held off so I could go watch the final drive and this is my take. After watching, there is no way we should justify Roof doing what needed to be done. You don’t have to play press to stop a screen (as you hinted at) however there are other ways to stop a screen. I highly doubt Roof was ok with what was going on and the screens should have been stopped before they got to our side of the 50. You say Miami wanted press? Why though? They were getting enough yards with screens so no need to throw down field on a less percentage type of play, that just doesn’t make sense, especially in the rain. I’m pretty sure Miami was happy with what they were getting. The guys were playing so far off the ball it’s not even funny, they should have been 3 or 4 yards off the ball and if Miami wanted to go deep have help over the top with the safties. This would have helped with stopping the screens so they didn’t even get down field into a position to make a play close enough to score. Also it wasn’t roof who did right at the end as you say, Miami had a penalty that set them back while they were marching it down our throats.

And BTW I know the game of football pretty well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The main reason they were even in 4th and long was a penalty. They took over at their own 8 with about 2:30 left and drove fairly easily to midfield in about a minute. We were only up 2 so all they needed was a FG. That outcome had plenty to do with Roof.
That's the point of bend/don't break, make them take several plays to move the ball instead of huge chunks or one big play. It's makes them play error free in order to score. Guess what, it worked, they didn't play error free and we were in the driver's seat to win the game on that 4th down play. What can I say, miracles sometimes happen, but I'd take the opponent's need for a miracle to win every week if I had the choice.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, an argument is an argument is an argument. But the Miami game is dead and gone as is last season, and Roof is in Raleigh, showing again that if nothing else the man can get himself good jobs. My 8th grade literature teacher once taught a quatrain about the moving hand writes, and then goes on down the road. (I just shortened it up a bit.) Next up.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I criticize Roof for not adjusting quicker to the bubble screen that drive also. Hindsight is 20/20 after all. That being said, those D calls didn’t just give the bubble screen up for free. Players could have made plays to defend it better but failed to. The DC and the guys on the field all failed to get it done. That’s football. Win some, lose some.

Hopefully we have a better DC and better playmakers on the field this year. Too many Tech fan psyches are damaged to withstand any more frustration.

I’m glad our players are made of stern enough stuff to bounce back from adversity.
The Miami game went downhill for two reasons. 1) There was a tropical storm that started in the 3rd quarter and didnt stop until that bull**** catch on 4th down. 2) Brant Mitchell going out exposed the middle of our defense. We were shutting the run game down until 51 went out.

Both teams played in the same rain. One just managed to do so better than the other. It’s something we need to address pre-season.

If I was CPJ every practice in pads would be with the damn sprinklers on.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He was also often wrong in his breakdowns. Claiming we were in one coverage when in actuality we were in another. Not all the time but enough to prove he was no more of a football expert than the majotof us here.

That’s just for starters. He’s entitled to his opinion though. But dang, the dude is gone. Be glad and move on and stop acting like you were a cuckhold to him and the wifey.

As for taking player comments and extrapolating. Players are almost always positive about change, until the results start showing poorly. For that matter I could take Glanton’s comments and extrapolate to say “Oh no!! This isn’t gonna work!! Woody doesn’t understand how our players think and isn’t communicating with them!! WTH??!?”

Now I’m not at all stating that’s the case in any way. Players have to adapt and will. I think Nate is a proven DC and I expect good things. I’m just not expecting immediate miracles.

Hold the farm, i missed something during the offseason malaise. What has happened to 33jacket?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The ironic/sad thing is that we got beat by the very play the prevent D is designed to stop: the deep Hail Mary.

To be fair, Roof had his guys in position to make the game winning play, they just didn’t execute at the moment of truth.
It seems to me that play is about as terrifying to a fan as one can be. If it exposes anything it is the truth in the adage that a ball in the air belongs to who can get it, and there aren't five college QBs who can throw one very deep to a precise location where his tallest receiver can get it. It is, of course, the hail Mary for a reason.