A brief look at the 2013 recruiting class

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We signed a small class of 14.

we have lost three already which knocks the class down to 11.

Two have already showed what they can do in Harrison Butker and PJ Davis.

I expect to see a lot of Chris Griffin, Travis Custis and Shamire Devine this year.

Also expect to see a fair amount of Commissiong.

I think Ricky Jeune has a good shot at a starting spot in 2015 as well as John Marvin.

That leaves Antonio Messick, Donovan Wilson and Corey Griffin.

I think the class may end up some good quality but this class could hurt us depth wise in a few years..have to hope the 2014 class pans out well and that we sign another good class this year.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Well the only reasonable option to start doing in the future has got to be to over sign. If we want to start beating the teams in the SEC gotta start acting like them.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
we should not oversign. But we should over recruit to a degree planning on the always happens Feb attrition etc....

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
we should not oversign. But we should over recruit to a degree planning on the always happens Feb attrition etc....
I'm not sure what this means. How do you over recruit but not over sign? Do we string players along, make offers, and then not sign them? Once February is gone it is gone. If you get to 85 and a few kids leave in spring, what do you propose specifically? I am honestly confused by the statement. Please clarify.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe, more early admits, counting towards last year's class, taking up slack from those who left?

Squint

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe what 33 is saying is this:
You don't have to commit in Feb. You can wait and sign later. Not too many talented players are going to be willing to do that, but you can.
Also, transfers can decide at any time... they may have to wait (sit out a year), but maybe not if they are JC. I'm reaching, but you get the idea.

What happens if you sign in Feb and then decide to transfer in April, before you've even got on campus. They can ask for a release, which likely won't happen, but if they "sit out" the first year, isn't that the same as redshirting?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
We signed a small class of 14.

we have lost three already which knocks the class down to 11.

Two have already showed what they can do in Harrison Butker and PJ Davis.

I expect to see a lot of Chris Griffin, Travis Custis and Shamire Devine this year.

Also expect to see a fair amount of Commissiong.

I think Ricky Jeune has a good shot at a starting spot in 2015 as well as John Marvin.

That leaves Antonio Messick, Donovan Wilson and Corey Griffin.

I think the class may end up some good quality but this class could hurt us depth wise in a few years..have to hope the 2014 class pans out well and that we sign another good class this year.

To improve, you CAN NOT have 20% of your class transfer and ESPECIALLY on the DL,which has been a weak point for yrs esp DT..

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
One thing I'd do is NOT hold back a couple of scbolarsbips for walk-ons or transfers. Recruit for a full roster and use all your schollies.

Attrition will free up those scollies for your deserving walk-ons and transfers so holding back 'ships for those is redundant and leaves you short.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
One thing I'd do is NOT hold back a couple of scbolarsbips for walk-ons or transfers. Recruit for a full roster and use all your schollies.

Attrition will free up those scollies for your deserving walk-ons and transfers so holding back 'ships for those is redundant and leaves you short.

After NSD this year we were at 85...So I do think we tried that approach this year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what this means. How do you over recruit but not over sign? Do we string players along, make offers, and then not sign them? Once February is gone it is gone. If you get to 85 and a few kids leave in spring, what do you propose specifically? I am honestly confused by the statement. Please clarify.

Correct, you string players along. EVERYONE in the NCAA does it including TECH today!!! You then allow for 1-2 more committments than slots knowing u will have attrition. GOL did this every year...never once had a problem. Why? Because you always have 2-3 walkons on ship that you can pull on a yearly basis in the event that you do have to take them if attrition doesn't happen as predicted.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Correct, you string players along. EVERYONE in the NCAA does it including TECH today!!! You then allow for 1-2 more committments than slots knowing u will have attrition. GOL did this every year...never once had a problem. Why? Because you always have 2-3 walkons on ship that you can pull on a yearly basis in the event that you do have to take them if attrition doesn't happen as predicted.
That sure would have made sense pulling Robbie's scholly last year, he's just a walkon, so it's ok. I know that's not what you meant, but CPJ only awards schollies to walkons who actually make the two deep and contribute. Why not pull one from a scholly player who doesn't contribute one little bit? I don't get that logic one bit.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Is there any proof that we actively hold back scholarships for walk ons? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
When you do not sign your quota, you are holding schollys for some reason. If not walk ons then whom?

That doesn't answer my question. Are we not signing our quota because we are holding schollies? Is that what's happening? I haven't seen any evidence of this.