A backs next year

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
O Line should be better, we lose Will and Andy Marshall but Quinney, Braun, Cooper, Hansen, Lee should be a formidable group, and Malachi and Jalen have shown what they can do. A Back won’t be worse if they can keep the fumbles down, and BBack is returning everyone.

Our target for being good keeps getting pushed out. "Next year" or 'in two years" have been common themes. One of the most frustrating things is we don't seem to develop players. Granted, I don't look at film but it seems like there are 3-4 guys just off the top of my head who are seniors who played a lot as FR/R-Fr. And I don't see them as making any more impact this year than they did 4 years ago quite honestly. I had always hoped for a coach to stay as long as CPJ has. What I envisioned was a program developed to the point where players started as upper classmen only after redshirting and playing some when they were FR/Soph. Players so finely drilled in our system that mental errors and "failing to execute" or "when the leaves turn, the offense churns" were minimized. Take our OL, those guys THIS year have been playing together long enough that many thought that it would be a strength now. I have come to the conclusion that what you see NOW with any of our players and units is exactly what you will see from them next year and the year after. Each year is a hodge podge, random crap shoot that resembles nothing that would expect to see from an entrenched program or system.

As a side note, the D does in fact look like it is making incremental improvement. That is encouraging. Look, we all understand that GT has systemic issues. But the root cause of fan unrest is the trend line and how poorly coached this year's team seems to be. I was willing to dismiss the early season performances at USF and Pitt as somewhat outliers. But, I am now convinced that we are what our record says we are. And I have little hope that next year will be better.

GTFLETCH

Banned
If Coach Johnson is here next year you will see Cottrell, Jarrett, and then JP, or someone from the BBack move over along with possibly a QB, depending on who wins the QB comp between TO, LJ, JG

Aback will be the least of the problems... We will have to figure alot out

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We may not need a backs next year.... just saying.... fan base is really shaken.... you cannot perform like that on homecoming with donors there...

But yes, at this time we should be rotating more a backs in to get a feel.

We had alumni at the game? I thought at least half must have gotten lost or otherwise prevented from actually showing up.

You really want to start rotating in 3rd and 4th string abacks into games down the stretch when we are dying to get more Ws? And sit our best big play threats to do so simply to give the backups reps?

No thanks. That’s what spring ball and preseason fall practice is for.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We had alumni at the game? I thought at least half must have gotten lost or otherwise prevented from actually showing up.

You really want to start rotating in 3rd and 4th string abacks into games down the stretch when we are dying to get more Ws? And sit our best big play threats to do so simply to give the backups reps?

No thanks. That’s what spring ball and preseason fall practice is for.

I suppose I have given up on the season. Chalk it up to a season for the future to get reps. We have a tough slate to get to a bowl game. If we lose to VT, it's all but over. I'll be up there for the game, but ticket sales have plummeted for that game. Down to about 10 bucks to get in. Glad I waited.

You never want to not play your best players, but I think we should slowly introduce younger players that aren't redshirted into the mix. Give them 10-15% more plays. If a loss at VT is looking, after that I make some moves to get guys playing time. It's valuable for the future. I'd be fine with a 2 system qb. If the offense is stalling after 3 drives switch to Tobias. Simply to give the defense another look and another style of play. Shake things loose.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I want to see some bruisers at A back next year. Cottrell needs to get the ball! I’d like to see KB or Mason out there too. I like Howard at Bback, as long as he can block and hold onto the ball. He’s a bull running down hill. Off the wall idea I’d try Graham at A back. He’s too dynamic to keep off the field. Especially if LJ is healthy and can throw like it’s been said he can.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
O Line should be better, we lose Will and Andy Marshall but Quinney, Braun, Cooper, Hansen, Lee should be a formidable group, and Malachi and Jalen have shown what they can do. A Back won’t be worse if they can keep the fumbles down, and BBack is returning everyone.

I'm sorry but it takes YEARS to learn how to block in this offense.NO WAY Cottrell and a 174 lb inexperienced back with no exp'd back-ups are going to match this group , esp. with a new QB.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm sorry but it takes YEARS to learn how to block in this offense.NO WAY Cottrell and a 174 lb inexperienced back with no exp'd back-ups are going to match this group , esp. with a new QB.

I’m not buying that it takes anywhynear that long to learn our blocking scheme at the A-back position. To get really well versed in blocking, pitch relation, pass route running etc. now that might take 2-3 years to really master it. Shouldn’t take that long to become proficient though and I don’t see much evidence that’s the case.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

I hate to use the word actually, but it takes a few years to learn how to read blocks on the fly when you have options in this offense. If we stick with the current scheme of called blocks for the a-backs it becomes more plug and play. Its what we did from 2008-20012. In 2014 we put in alot of the more advanced concepts because everyone but JT was experienced. This allowed the offense we had to happen. Shaq was locked in with line calls. The A backs were locked in with on the fly blocking reads as were the receivers. We had 2 senior b-backs locked in with the line calls. And the only player with inexperience simply had to execute the play and check them. CPJ has been chasing that level of effeciency for 3 years.

2013 was legit a different offense so that one doesn't count.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

No trolling, but does it really take years for an A-back to learn how to block in our system? If it does, I think I finally understand some of why we are struggling offensively.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No trolling, but does it really take years for an A-back to learn how to block in our system? If it does, I think I finally understand some of why we are struggling offensively.
I don't know where this is coming from. We replace ABs all the time and usually don't see much difference. Next year I think it's Cottrell and Mason starting with Jarrett (or Malloy) substituting in, but that depends on two things: Benson recovering and Amerson not taking over at BB. And, from the looks of things, that might very well happen. If Benson can't perform - which Heaven forfend - then the two headed monster at BB will be back and we'll have to make some decisions.

Btw, yes, Virginia, we will have ABs next year.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We've got some pretty good offensive football players that could be coached into a new offense if that happened in 2019. We'd probably welcome a few of transfers. We'd need a tightend and at least one taller tackle. I think Oliver (6'2) and Johnson (6'3) would do just fine at QB. All of the running backs would fit in well and Carter at wide out could be special.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Could this possibly be another issue with our system? Someone said the other day that it is 'high risk with high reward". We have talked frequently about how the system is impeded by rain more than others. It is often repeated that we don't start gelling offensively until the leaves turn in October. It sounds to me like a high end, exotic European sports car like a Jaguar...fun when it runs well but more finicky and high maintenance than the Japanese family sedan.