A-Back's after 2018 season

Just stop. What did we have in '09, '14, and '16? We had a combination of a really solid to great O-line, yes. Another part of it was that we had either a good passer in Justin, and/or great receivers in Bay Bay and Smelter/Waller. But yet another underrated part of our success in those years was the success of our A-Backs. Lynch and Searcy were huge in '16, both on the ground and through the air. Roddy, Anthony Allen, Embry, Perkins, Zenon, Hill, Snoddy were all great A-backs, and a few of them were great pass catchers as well. We get it, you don't like CPJ. Stop telling us.

We have good A-backs every year. What we had in 09, 14, and 16 was a QB who could complete passes downfield -- and in doing so, opened up the run game tremendously. It's what we didn't have last year. Our biggest win (VPI) was mostly due to completed downfield passes to WRs Jeune and Stewart. Yeah, it was only 2 completed passes lol. I think that 140 yds was TM's best passing day of the year, which is also telling.

We get it - you're going to defend the offense at all costs, focusing on the running game first. But it's clear that we run best when we pass best.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
But it's clear that we run best when we pass best.

It is also clear that GT passes best when they run best. For one(run/pass) to open up the other, you first have to establish the one. If a team passes well and the defense adjusts, then they will be able to exploit the adjustment and run better. The opposite is also true. If a team rushes well and the defense adjusts, then they will be able to exploit the adjustment and pass better.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
We have good A-backs every year. What we had in 09, 14, and 16 was a QB who could complete passes downfield -- and in doing so, opened up the run game tremendously. It's what we didn't have last year. Our biggest win (VPI) was mostly due to completed downfield passes to WRs Jeune and Stewart. Yeah, it was only 2 completed passes lol. I think that 140 yds was TM's best passing day of the year, which is also telling.

We get it - you're going to defend the offense at all costs, focusing on the running game first. But it's clear that we run best when we pass best.
Oh, I agree completely. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a big defender of CPJ. Even so, I realize improvents need to be made in the passing game. We absolutely do run best when we pass best. I'm a firm believer in better passing=better running. If TaQuon completes more passes, we'll win a lot more games.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I haven't heard much about 7v7 this year. I remember being mocked for taking bad results last year as a bad sign.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It is also clear that GT passes best when they run best. For one(run/pass) to open up the other, you first have to establish the one. If a team passes well and the defense adjusts, then they will be able to exploit the adjustment and run better. The opposite is also true. If a team rushes well and the defense adjusts, then they will be able to exploit the adjustment and pass better.

We're not going to pass or run if we don't get some better blocking on the edges than we did last year. hoping for a big improvement from new personnel and the old ones being a year older/stronger/bigger. The breakdowns in both running and passing last year stemmed mostly from poor play at the tackle position. It is ALL about the offensive line.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Worry more about the offensive line . They make the offense go .
We have two offensive line coaches. One for the tackles and one for the guard box. Both were retained. Two defensive coaches are gone from last year. I don't understand why the offensive coaches get a pass for some of the performances we've seen. Maybe one of the offensive line coaches is assigned to yell look out when Marshall goes back to pass.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have two offensive line coaches. One for the tackles and one for the guard box. Both were retained. Two defensive coaches are gone from last year. I don't understand why the offensive coaches get a pass for some of the performances we've seen. Maybe one of the offensive line coaches is assigned to yell look out when Marshall goes back to pass.
Last time I checked the coaches didn’t suit up. If CPJ doesn’t like what’s being taught or how it’s being taught, he ain’t afraid to let ‘em go.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Last time I checked the coaches didn’t suit up. If CPJ doesn’t like what’s being taught or how it’s being taught, he ain’t afraid to let ‘em go.
So CPJ is pleased with the performance of the offensive line? That unit has got to do better than 2017. If not there will a boat load of fans unhappy.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the coaches and not sure it is the coaches. We need to keep the same 5 OL together on the field . Maybe it's lack of depth on the OL . All I remember if someone went down we had to start moving players around. Just did not seem as simple as the backup coming in to the game.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
AB is often a good landing spot for ATHs we recruit/are giving a shot at QB.

I'm not terribly concerned about AB. Lots of good looking young players who have been in the system awhile. Searcy and Lynch have a ton of game reps though, and as we have seen AB is not really "plug n' play". But that's college football: your experience graduates.