A-Back's after 2018 season

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
So, after Qua Searcy and Clinton Lynch graduate, we have Cottrell, Jarrett, Gantt, and the 3 freshmen that signed and are coming in this fall (Jackson, Whatley, Smith).

Obviously we could have position moves, such as one of the hybrid AB/BB guys like Mason moving over to AB, but we only have 4 BB's on scholarship at the moment so moving from that position leaves us without a ton of depth there.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks about the position situation. With the need for experience blocking on the perimeter, this leaves me a little concerned for 2019.

Thoughts?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So, after Qua Searcy and Clinton Lynch graduate, we have Cottrell, Jarrett, Gantt, and the 3 freshmen that signed and are coming in this fall (Jackson, Whatley, Smith).

Obviously we could have position moves, such as one of the hybrid AB/BB guys like Mason moving over to AB, but we only have 4 BB's on scholarship at the moment so moving from that position leaves us without a ton of depth there.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks about the position situation. With the need for experience blocking on the perimeter, this leaves me a little concerned for 2019.

Thoughts?
I think that we'll be ok, especially with Amerson and Ellison coming in. With Amerson, we will have 5 bbacks so that could allow Malloy and Mason to be hybrids to provide depth at both positions. We really only need 3 healthy bbacks so Malloy and Mason could primarily be abacks and in a pinch, be used at bback.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They combined for a total of 7 catches last year. I don't think a major drop off is possible.
the qb who played every down finished the season w 4 of his last 9 completions going to the other team.

i think q and c are good receivers.

will see in 18

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
the qb who played every down finished the season w 4 of his last 9 completions going to the other team.

i think q and c are good receivers.

will see in 18

And we have an offense that puts absolutely no priority on having a competent passing game which is why that rb was playing qb and probably still will be next year. Pointless tro worry about the receiving ability of aback when our offense is so bad passing the ball regardless of it.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think Perimeter blocking is where I am most concerned. The 3-9 meltdown was a combination of a lot of things, but Perimeter blocking was an absolute nightmare that year.
Agreed though I’d like to point out that it seemed every game in 2015 we were starting new a-backs

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to say we started a walk on at A back during the Pitt game in 15 because we had so many injuries.
Isiah Willis started that game, and he was a walk-on, but he was put on scholly before the '15 season. Maybe Austin McClellan started that game? He was a walk-on that played a lot against UNC in '15.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
And we have an offense that puts absolutely no priority on having a competent passing game which is why that rb was playing qb and probably still will be next year. Pointless tro worry about the receiving ability of aback when our offense is so bad passing the ball regardless of it.
Actually , i think we can agree that by committing to the run , we do create great one on one passing opportunities. They are not so great when we get behind schedule or don't MAKE THE PLAY.

Lets hope that the run offense can get us Ahead of schedule so Coach can call plays.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Just stop. What did we have in '09, '14, and '16? We had a combination of a really solid to great O-line, yes. Another part of it was that we had either a good passer in Justin, and/or great receivers in Bay Bay and Smelter/Waller. But yet another underrated part of our success in those years was the success of our A-Backs. Lynch and Searcy were huge in '16, both on the ground and through the air. Roddy, Anthony Allen, Embry, Perkins, Zenon, Hill, Snoddy were all great A-backs, and a few of them were great pass catchers as well. We get it, you don't like CPJ. Stop telling us.