1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

A-Back's after 2018 season

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by Southpaw13, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Southpaw13

Southpaw13 Helluva Engineer

So, after Qua Searcy and Clinton Lynch graduate, we have Cottrell, Jarrett, Gantt, and the 3 freshmen that signed and are coming in this fall (Jackson, Whatley, Smith).

Obviously we could have position moves, such as one of the hybrid AB/BB guys like Mason moving over to AB, but we only have 4 BB's on scholarship at the moment so moving from that position leaves us without a ton of depth there.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks about the position situation. With the need for experience blocking on the perimeter, this leaves me a little concerned for 2019.

Thoughts?

2. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

Worry more about the offensive line . They make the offense go .

3. THWG

THWG Helluva Engineer

I think that we'll be ok, especially with Amerson and Ellison coming in. With Amerson, we will have 5 bbacks so that could allow Malloy and Mason to be hybrids to provide depth at both positions. We really only need 3 healthy bbacks so Malloy and Mason could primarily be abacks and in a pinch, be used at bback.

GTFLETCH likes this.
  4. Southpaw13

There will be 11 returning scholarship OL after this class not including the incoming freshmen. I am fine with the OL outlook for 2019. For 2020 could be another story if we can't finish strong in this class.

MikeJackets1967 likes this.
  5. Gold1

Gold1 Helluva Engineer

The way we recruit the OL shouldve changed 10 years ago. CPJ is too stubborn

GT14 and MikeJackets1967 like this.
  6. tmhunter52

tmhunter52 Helluva Engineer

CPJ needs to recruit OL recruits by saying “pretty please, with a cherry on top!”

7. iceeater1969

iceeater1969 Helluva Engineer

At AB i worry about a major drop off in pass receiving. Qua and Clinton are real down field threats.

tatertot1 likes this.
  8. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

They combined for a total of 7 catches last year. I don't think a major drop off is possible.

9. Southpaw13

I think Perimeter blocking is where I am most concerned. The 3-9 meltdown was a combination of a lot of things, but Perimeter blocking was an absolute nightmare that year.

10. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

And don't forget that the worst missed catch of the year was by JJ against the Vols. I loved JJ, but that? OMG

TampaBuzz and wesgt123 like this.
  11. iceeater1969

the qb who played every down finished the season w 4 of his last 9 completions going to the other team.

i think q and c are good receivers.

will see in 18

12. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

And we have an offense that puts absolutely no priority on having a competent passing game which is why that rb was playing qb and probably still will be next year. Pointless tro worry about the receiving ability of aback when our offense is so bad passing the ball regardless of it.

13. JacketFromUGA

JacketFromUGA Helluva Engineer

Agreed though I’d like to point out that it seemed every game in 2015 we were starting new a-backs

14. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

Broken record much?

15. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

I want to say we started a walk on at A back during the Pitt game in 15 because we had so many injuries.

16. Jacketman1

Jacketman1 Helluva Engineer

Isiah Willis started that game, and he was a walk-on, but he was put on scholly before the '15 season. Maybe Austin McClellan started that game? He was a walk-on that played a lot against UNC in '15.

17. iceeater1969

Actually , i think we can agree that by committing to the run , we do create great one on one passing opportunities. They are not so great when we get behind schedule or don't MAKE THE PLAY.

Lets hope that the run offense can get us Ahead of schedule so Coach can call plays.

18. Jacketman1

Jacketman1 Helluva Engineer

Just stop. What did we have in '09, '14, and '16? We had a combination of a really solid to great O-line, yes. Another part of it was that we had either a good passer in Justin, and/or great receivers in Bay Bay and Smelter/Waller. But yet another underrated part of our success in those years was the success of our A-Backs. Lynch and Searcy were huge in '16, both on the ground and through the air. Roddy, Anthony Allen, Embry, Perkins, Zenon, Hill, Snoddy were all great A-backs, and a few of them were great pass catchers as well. We get it, you don't like CPJ. Stop telling us.

19. RyanS12

RyanS12 Helluva Engineer

Yup, I believe it was McClellan.

20. jgtengineer

jgtengineer Helluva Engineer

That's because we were