#94 Anree Saint-Amour SR DL

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
We're in late June and I'm starting to get the football burn. Oh give me a defense that we can be proud of. A defense that gives Tech fans confidence that we can stop someone late in the game. Please let Coach Woody and the 3- 4 defense be the answer. Maybe some unknown player that had been overlooked by the old defensive staff and becomes the next Michael Johnson. Kinda sounds like a prayer doesn't it.
Amen

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some things I am sure we will see this year:

More defensive aggression from GT
More big plays by our opponents

I hope that somehow our lack of enough talent and depth on the DL and LB corps does not spell doom for us winning with aggression on D, but I have my concerns. I will say it again and again - On Defense, there are no schemes or tricks that can overcome a lack of talent. Our O has an advantage due to how often teams see it and the cut blocking that we use in abundance, but our D has no such advantage.

But, I know most of you will be happy (we will see if that is true) even if we get beat, as long as we are being "aggressive" like Jon Tenuta on D.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At one point our bend bend bend break defense made doing on side kicks logical.

It took about 5 plays and the opponent was across the 50 to our 45.

we often defer and as we often score on first drive of second half.

I wait for the score and then go get cokes as the half time crowd is cleared out. i get back just as the opponents are at the 40 and we tighten up the defense.

i say get the other team's offense off the field so our run game can wear their defense down.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Some things I am sure we will see this year:

More defensive aggression from GT
More big plays by our opponents

I hope that somehow our lack of enough talent and depth on the DL and LB corps does not spell doom for us winning with aggression on D, but I have my concerns. I will say it again and again - On Defense, there are no schemes or tricks that can overcome a lack of talent. Our O has an advantage due to how often teams see it and the cut blocking that we use in abundance, but our D has no such advantage.

But, I know most of you will be happy (we will see if that is true) even if we get beat, as long as we are being "aggressive" like Jon Tenuta on D.

I still think that D scheming matters. You don't just line up and run a base D every down. You don't just get a volunteer from the stands to call plays off the play card. Between those options and calling the best possible D scheme because you know the plays ahead of time is a spectrum.

I think/hope we are farther to the right on that spectrum now.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Team sacks past five years...https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/
13-14 34
14-15 20
15-16 14
16-17 18
17-18 17

I think there will be a lot of ecstatic folks if we have a DE with > 9 sacks! :)

Obviously, AppSt plays against different levels of competition. However, I thought it would be interesting to normalize this data to the number of plays faced by a defense. The first table is plays/sack and the second is plays/tackle for loss.

C:\Users\JHRhoads\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif
C:\Users\JHRhoads\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.gif
upload_2018-6-26_16-33-31.png
upload_2018-6-26_16-33-44.png

GT was #97 in plays/sack and #109 in plays/tfl.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Again i have to see a stat where Duke beats us by a mile 23 verses 109.

Please 2018 its time.
Rise up Gt!

You're welcome?

Also, I'm from Florida, so it's gT!!! (if you can only capitalize one). Before anyone protests, I can say, "Go Tech!" What would you rather say, if you could only capitalize one?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think some are seeing 3-4, and thinking in terms of 'Bama's/UGA/Al Groh defensive system. DEs that have to occupying blockers for the OLBs and ILB as primary responsibilty and gap control. The DE's in Woody's system put up numbers:

https://www.appstatesports.com/news/2017/11/16/football-sack-happy-sims-on-season-long-tear.aspx
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3917156/antonious-sims

Woody said so himself in interviews, he wants all of his guys to attack, but in a way "responsible" that maintains gap and lane control. Doesn't mean all front 7 attack at the same time, just depends on the call. The LBs will make a bulk of the "splash" plays, but the DL isn't just a glorified body out there. I'll say this, if ANY of our DEs get 9.5 sacks in a season, I'll be ecstatic.

Isn’t part of the beauty of Woody’s scheme that you never know where the pressure is comng from on any given play/down?