#94 Anree Saint-Amour SR DL

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Anree figures to be a starter at DE, and here's hoping a more aggressive scheme can make use of his pass rush talents.

He is one of the most curious fits in the new scheme, as he's small for aDE, but apparently big for the kind of OLB that woody wants.

He's one of the best 11 on defense, though, so you have to figure out a way to get him on the field and take advantage of his talent.
Anree+Saint+Amour+Pittsburgh+v+Georgia+Tech+iwrySK-ID6pl.jpg

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Anree figures to be a starter at DE, and here's hoping a more aggressive scheme can make use of his pass rush talents.

He is one of the most curious fits in the new scheme, as he's small for aDE, but apparently big for the kind of OLB that woody wants.

He's one of the best 11 on defense, though, so you have to figure out a way to get him on the field and take advantage of his talent.
Anree+Saint+Amour+Pittsburgh+v+Georgia+Tech+iwrySK-ID6pl.jpg
I heard that he was up to about 270 which would be just fine for a DE in this defense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've always wondered why he hasn't been more productive for us. You could see flashes from him, but like Anthony Simmons, just never put it all together consistently. It really makes me wonder about coaching along the DL in the past.

I saw him as a Junior in HS, and he was making future P5 level OLs look like swinging doors. A couple of which were 5 star OLs. Hopefully, an aggressive scheme and new DL coaches will unlock his potential.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I've always wondered why he hasn't been more productive for us. You could see flashes from him, but like Anthony Simmons, just never put it all together consistently. It really makes me wonder about coaching along the DL in the past.

I saw him as a Junior in HS, and he was making future P5 level OLs look like swinging doors. A couple of which were 5 star OLs. Hopefully, an aggressive scheme and new DL coaches will unlock his potential.
Bingo.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
hard to place much blame on any past DL coach or even player in that roof scheme. The scheme asked the DL to occupy a ton. Lets hope the woody scheme does in fact help, but, I have to say, it generally won't help the true DE's much....it helps the OLB/DE a ton....true DE's in this scheme are in 4 tech alot, and are setting edges for the outside pressure...so...we will see...

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck

Yep. I feel similarly about Victor Alexander.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
hard to place much blame on any past DL coach or even player in that roof scheme. The scheme asked the DL to occupy a ton. Lets hope the woody scheme does in fact help, but, I have to say, it generally won't help the true DE's much....it helps the OLB/DE a ton....true DE's in this scheme are in 4 tech alot, and are setting edges for the outside pressure...so...we will see...
Whoa Nellie! We finally have what you’ve been screaming for the past 10 years, an attacking defensive scheme! Bend don’t break is history! Poor fundamentals coaching... history! Don’t start hedging now, I’m just starting to come around to your fire and brimstone.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Whoa Nellie! We finally have what you’ve been screaming for the past 10 years, an attacking defensive scheme! Bend don’t break is history! Poor fundamentals coaching... history! Don’t start hedging now, I’m just starting to come around to your fire and brimstone.

Huh. No hedging. Being real with what the true 1/2 of the de does in this scheme. We will attack and do what i have wanted. But its not coming from the 4tech. Thats just reality. Its like saying the bulk of our yards on O will come from the wr position. Its going to come more from the olb. Ilb. And off or weak de as needed. If armour is 270 and moves to strong 4 he will do less sacks tfl etc

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Huh. No hedging. Being real with what the true 1/2 of the de does in this scheme. We will attack and do what i have wanted. But its not coming from the 4tech. Thats just reality. Its like saying the bulk of our yards on O will come from the wr position. Its going to come more from the olb. Ilb. And off or weak de as needed. If armour is 270 and moves to strong 4 he will do less sacks tfl etc
Idk if I agree with this 100 percent. I get what you are saying, however, if the spring game is any indication of what the DE’s will be doing they will have a lot of tackles for loss. Those guys were in the backfield almost as much as anyone.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
We're in late June and I'm starting to get the football burn. Oh give me a defense that we can be proud of. A defense that gives Tech fans confidence that we can stop someone late in the game. Please let Coach Woody and the 3- 4 defense be the answer. Maybe some unknown player that had been overlooked by the old defensive staff and becomes the next Michael Johnson. Kinda sounds like a prayer doesn't it.

We're in late June and I'm starting to get the football burn. Oh give me a defense that we can be proud of. A defense that gives Tech fans confidence that we can stop someone late in the game. Please let Coach Woody and the 3- 4 defense be the answer. Maybe some unknown player that had been overlooked by the old defensive staff and becomes the next Michael Johnson. Kinda sounds like a prayer doesn't it.
And I will provide an AMEN for that prayer.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I think some are seeing 3-4, and thinking in terms of 'Bama's/UGA/Al Groh defensive system. DEs that have to occupying blockers for the OLBs and ILB as primary responsibilty and gap control. The DE's in Woody's system put up numbers:

https://www.appstatesports.com/news/2017/11/16/football-sack-happy-sims-on-season-long-tear.aspx
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3917156/antonious-sims

Woody said so himself in interviews, he wants all of his guys to attack, but in a way "responsible" that maintains gap and lane control. Doesn't mean all front 7 attack at the same time, just depends on the call. The LBs will make a bulk of the "splash" plays, but the DL isn't just a glorified body out there. I'll say this, if ANY of our DEs get 9.5 sacks in a season, I'll be ecstatic.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe some unknown player that had been overlooked by the old defensive staff and becomes the next Michael Johnson. Kinda sounds like a prayer doesn't it.

Nope.

There's talent there that has been under utilized. I think we heard about some it during spring practice when Woody was implementing his new scheme. I would venture to guess we'll hear more about the DL during the Fall Camp and this upcoming season.

First time since ??? that I've been more excited about our defense than our offense.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Idk if I agree with this 100 percent. I get what you are saying, however, if the spring game is any indication of what the DE’s will be doing they will have a lot of tackles for loss. Those guys were in the backfield almost as much as anyone.

Cuz our ot and ol is such a great indicator of how to judge our d? Lol.

I have heard this tfl in the spring game crap for years.

It means zero vs our o. Watch what woody does on tape vs typical offenses etc

One de plays his responsibility that does lend itself to tfl and sacks. One can, but it depends on the outside call. If armour is now 275 or so lets see where they put him

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Cuz our ot and ol is such a great indicator of how to judge our d? Lol.

I have heard this tfl in the spring game crap for years.

It means zero vs our o. Watch what woody does on tape vs typical offenses etc

One de plays his responsibility that does lend itself to tfl and sacks. One can, but it depends on the outside call. If armour is now 275 or so lets see where they put him
I don’t disagree with you, that’s why I said IF. I haven’t really watched what he does in a game. I just know what I saw in he scrimmage but I do agree it could be way different because of what we do on offense compared to other teams.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Wake Forest played against CNW's AppSt D on 9/23/17 and GT's D on 10/21/17.
..... Versus AppSt: 67 plays, 344 yds, 5.13 yds/play
..... Versus GT: 61 plays, 362 yds, 5.93 yds/play

However, perhaps the more telling statistic is plays/stop (punts + lost turnovers + failed 4th)
..... Versus AppSt: 9 stops (all punts), 7.44 plays/stop
..... Versus GT: 7 stops (3, 1, 3), 8.71 plays/stop

Hopefully, with better players, we'll have better results using CNW's D.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Wake Forest played against CNW's AppSt D on 9/23/17 and GT's D on 10/21/17.
..... Versus AppSt: 67 plays, 344 yds, 5.13 yds/play
..... Versus GT: 61 plays, 362 yds, 5.93 yds/play

However, perhaps the more telling statistic is plays/stop (punts + lost turnovers + failed 4th)
..... Versus AppSt: 9 stops (all punts), 7.44 plays/stop
..... Versus GT: 7 stops (3, 1, 3), 8.71 plays/stop

Hopefully, with better players, we'll have better results using CNW's D.

There's some value in comparisons to common opponents (WF, UGA, Tennessee), but it's limited. It does, however, show that Woody at App State fielded a competent defense against better competition that tended to get opposition off the field faster than ours when it succeeded. I think that bodes well for us, and it sounds like players are already feeling more comfortable with their responsibilities than they were under Roof. Sure we can improve with more experience under the new system, but I think this also shows there isn't going to be a long transition period finding different personnel and getting them up to speed on what to do.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There's some value in comparisons to common opponents (WF, UGA, Tennessee), but it's limited. It does, however, show that Woody at App State fielded a competent defense against better competition that tended to get opposition off the field faster than ours when it succeeded. I think that bodes well for us, and it sounds like players are already feeling more comfortable with their responsibilities than they were under Roof. Sure we can improve with more experience under the new system, but I think this also shows there isn't going to be a long transition period finding different personnel and getting them up to speed on what to do.

AppSt allowed 1.54 pts/drive; GT allowed 2.18 pts/drive.