8/9 Georgia Tech Scrimmage

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't go! I know, you're all speechless with grief.

A question for Eric: you gave us a list of frosh that you expected to play. Did any of them (besides CJ) show anything of note today?

I'M not Eric but I was there paying attention and will offer my opinions. I saw several freshmen playing O. Nothing thrown to Searcy. With the reserves Stickler played LT, Klock RT, Marshall C or RG or both (not sure), Fromayan T, Brown did not play. I may have missed Preddy and Whitley? As CPJ said "will have to look at the tape to determine who did what in OL". I did not see anything glaring one way or the other.

On D there were some big hits by Freeman, one giant hit by Merriweather, hit by Jackson, a saving tackle by Whitehead (not a Fr) after a long run, a big hit by one of the Austins. I saw action by Lewis and Durham but nothing to report good or bad.

Important thing for me was no one was seriously hurt and no one stood out as being inadequate. The D freshmen have some players for sure and I suspect the film will show some adequate performance by the freshmen Ol. Leggett did not play. Of note: Fromayan's eligibility is still waiting on NCAA decision but he showed plenty of size to help us in the OL and he played a lot of snaps today.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to everyone who posted their insights from the scrimmage. This exile really appreciated everyone's observations.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
@AE87, props to our compatriots from me as well. I was on the dagdum freeway for about 4 hours coming back to Nashville. If it had been feasible I'd spent that time getting to BDS!!!!!

GoodBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
My observations, for what it's worth:
- Zenon was making catches as well as making some good blocks.
- Byerly seems most consistent in getting yardage. I feel confident in his ability to get 1st downs on 3rd and short. He met Lance Austin head on in the open field, and Lance lost.
- Jordan had a couple of good runs, and one great pitch that netted a lot of yards. His passing was a little inconsistent, but it seems like it was because he felt rushed in the pocket.
- I thought Chase Martenson made some good plays as well, though it was against 3rd/4th string D.
- Isiah Willis made some great plays. Looks like he is quick and has good hands.
- Beau Hankins seemed to be making a lot of the big stops. He timed one play and made a great tackle for loss that fired up the defense. I think he was the most noticeable player today.
- Noble was in on a lot of nice stops.
- The most vocal player on the field was Jabari. He's really going to be missed on the field this year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I couldn't go! I know, you're all speechless with grief.

A question for Eric: you gave us a list of frosh that you expected to play. Did any of them (besides CJ) show anything of note today?

The list I posted is Freshmen who COULD play not that I expect all of them too.

Here was that list

Lance Austin
Law Austin
Step Durham
Keshun Freeman
Trey Klock
Jake Stickler
Gary Brown
Antonio Simmons
Tyler Merriweather
Qua Searcy
CJ Leggett

Brown and Leggett were out today.

A few others have commented on how those guys performed today...I wasn't there today so I am sure others have better opinions than I do :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@AE87, props to our compatriots from me as well. I was on the dagdum freeway for about 4 hours coming back to Nashville. If it had been feasible I'd spent that time getting to BDS!!!!!

Yeah, I'm in Chicago, so getting down there is tough for me. Oh, and if you want to tag me, there's a space between the AE and the 87, @AE 87.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I'M not Eric but I was there paying attention and will offer my opinions. I saw several freshmen playing O. Nothing thrown to Searcy. With the reserves Stickler played LT, Klock RT, Marshall C or RG or both (not sure), Fromayan T, Brown did not play. I may have missed Preddy and Whitley? As CPJ said "will have to look at the tape to determine who did what in OL". I did not see anything glaring one way or the other.

On D there were some big hits by Freeman, one giant hit by Merriweather, hit by Jackson, a saving tackle by Whitehead (not a Fr) after a long run, a big hit by one of the Austins. I saw action by Lewis and Durham but nothing to report good or bad.

Important thing for me was no one was seriously hurt and no one stood out as being inadequate. The D freshmen have some players for sure and I suspect the film will show some adequate performance by the freshmen Ol. Leggett did not play. Of note: Fromayan's eligibility is still waiting on NCAA decision but he showed plenty of size to help us in the OL and he played a lot of snaps today.

My highlight freshman player of the day was walk-on Chase Martenson, QB. He throws a nice tight pass, handled the ball and pitches well, and runs tough. He engineered a long drive against the reserves, including two clutch pass completions, and finally scored himself. Jordan had an off day throwing several passes high and wide, with one great pass completion. He ran tough and took a beating from an aggressive D. I would describe Martenson's play today as smooth and Jordan's as rough, although I believe the experience will elevate Jordan in the long run as he has a lot of upside skill.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I found one pretty rough video from the crappy camera I used today actually worth sharing (so far). It is of Byerly selling the pitch to spring himself for the 50 yard TD run. I don't know how to post vids here though. I checked the Vine homepage but not sure if I want to bother going through all the sign-up and download process or not. Feel free to pm me if anyone has advice on how to easily make the clip available. Thanks.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I take Jabari is in school if he was on the sideline. If that is the case, it must be he plans on playing next year. That would be great news.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
My highlight freshman player of the day was walk-on Chase Martenson, QB. He throws a nice tight pass, handled the ball and pitches well, and runs tough. He engineered a long drive against the reserves, including two clutch pass completions, and finally scored himself. Jordan had an off day throwing several passes high and wide, with one great pass completion. He ran tough and took a beating from an aggressive D. I would describe Martenson's play today as smooth and Jordan's as rough, although I believe the experience will elevate Jordan in the long run as he has a lot of upside skill.

I thought Jordan looked pretty solid on the option game and was a strong and decisive runner. His passes were uniformly too long for the receivers. Byerly on passes was really stout at placing them in tight spots, I recall one he threaded down the middle over a leaping linebacker (I believe) for a completion. I think it was Byerly that threw the interception though, right? It was a very tight window he was trying to hit along the sideline and the pick was a great play of the defender reacting to the receiver trying to reach back over him to catch the ball.

Martenson did seem very smooth at the option, I just think it should be added he was running with the third string O and against 3rd string D. So it is a nice start for his career but not easy to make comparisons between him and the QBs ahead of him just yet.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Real nice pass fromTB to TZ... Then long TD run by TB ! Good down field blocking.

I think the defense could have tackled Byerly from behind at about the 30 or 25 on this play, but it would have snapped him backwards to the ground. He had two guys right on him that didn't even reach. Good play, nonetheless...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Tough to get an overall feel for how we look at these things. I like to look at individual players instead of units.

Our D-line was getting pressure all day...not sure if this means that the d-line is going to be solid or if the o-line is going to be a problem, but either way, they were in the backfield a lot before plays could get going...both first and second string.

Shamire Devine is a giant. When he's fresh he blows people off the ball, but it seems like he gets gassed pretty quick. We probably need to get his weight down a bit...370 is pretty big for an offensive lineman.

I thought the secondary looked pretty good...starters and backups.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's been reported several times he's down to the 340's

Wow, OK, good news...hadn't read that anywhere. He still looked gassed after just a few plays though. Needs a bit of conditioning or he won't be able to play entire drives. When he looked tired he looked very ineffective.