7 on 7

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
1st half are 2017 highlights and show a 2 loss team and possibly 10 wins with our missing game. 2 minute drills has not been our highlight area (except for some JT games).

I re-watched our games, even the losses. Miami was not as bad as I remember, close game. Virginia, not as bad as I remember, close game. Tenn was close as you get. The FEI even backs up what I saw. Offense scored enough points to win, defense was improved over 2016 (like the FEI states). Special teams was awful on a whole.

Duke, Clemson, and Georgia... only competitive in the 1st half (also top defenses we played - Duke defense had an FEI of ~31st rank). All other losses came down to a game of inches. One of the following: more forced turnovers, a little more from special teams in field position, 1 or 2 more completions and these losses become wins. Game of inches!

If GT plays a top defense, GT defense needs to shine so we can win a 10 to 7 game. This is for any team! Maybe we can start to turn a corner. I want to beat 60th rank in defense in 2018 and make a top 30 in 2019 ( and increase turnovers by 33 to 50%, oh and add 30 yards improvement to field position).

Losses are Losses and wins are wins... how far away are we from the next 9 win season? How much did loosing Mills cost us last year? Benson is great (too many people don't realize what he did last year)... we need depth.

Hope springs eternal...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think TQM keeps the ball too much. His reads are decent and the defense decides who keeps the ball.

Guys, our offense was not all that bad last year. Yes it could be better, but it was not bad. FEI rank of 20 is decent.

The defense was not good, but it was second best year for Roof in FEI. The lack of forced turnovers hurt. TD Roof didnt gdt the word and ran by his blocker and made a good tackle.

Special teams was very bad last year. I am not talking about punter. I am talking about field position and the score that make or break a close game.

Maybe the change in defense to an attacking 3 4 will help on kick and punt coverage. More lean lb types who play aggressive can't hurt. Seems like our center lane coverage stops too soon or are not athletic enough to make play on returner who gets by the gunners.

Just for crowd enthusiasm=
if punter can pin them deep and we get a good hit on the returner , the crowd would be fired up. Then when D has 7 guys moving around at the LOS, crowd would make way more noise.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Trying to understand the change in my quote in Iceeater1969 post... someone added ...."TD Roof didnt gdt the word and ran by his blocker and made a good tackle". FYI...I wish Roof's son would have stayed.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Trying to understand the change in my quote in Iceeater1969 post... someone added ...."TD Roof didnt gdt the word and ran by his blocker and made a good tackle". FYI...I wish Roof's son would have stayed.
Me too. It was my understanding that he has very good form tackling abilities. I read that he was ruled eligible to play this season for Indiana. Not sure how that happened, but I don't have a problem with it. I hope our linebackers play better than last year. Maybe somewhere on the team there is a P.J. Davis that hasn't been discovered yet.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hope no one thinks i was not a 100% t d roof fan.

The kid had a football gift of running slightly off line at the blocker,
giving a juke that looks like he is going one wake,
then cutting back "right down" the lane,

breaking down square on the runner, then releasing to drive right thru the runner

Just like his dad

I am hoping we will see this type tackling from a bunch of jackets in 18