7 on 7

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t heard anything about them playing other schools in Atlanta. Has anybody heard anything about it?

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven’t heard anything about them playing other schools in Atlanta. Has anybody heard anything about it?
In this article TM references doing 7-on-7's against our own defense but he does not say anything about them playing other schools like they have in the past:
“Last year, I struggled a lot hitting some of the guys that were wide open, just throwing the ball in general,” Marshall said. “So that’s one of the main things that I’ve worked on this spring, and one of the things we’ve been working on a lot this summer.”

In passing drills with backs and receivers and in 7-on-7 competitions with the Tech defense this summer, Marshall said he has worked on his accuracy, ball placement and footwork.

“Where to put the ball, where I want the receivers to be, where they want the ball to be put, just all those little things we’ve been working on,” Marshall said.
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...USGGPPykInO/?icmp=np_inform_variation-control

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I saw a video posted on Twitter by a player who was participating against our defense in 7v7's a couple of weeks ago. Something along the lines of "Player X delivering dimes against GT's defense!" I think he was from Clark Atlanta...one of the smaller schools in the area.

Spent a couple of minutes looking for it, but it's probably buried in Twitterverse by now.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I saw a video posted on Twitter by a player who was participating against our defense in 7v7's a couple of weeks ago. Something along the lines of "Player X delivering dimes against GT's defense!" I think he was from Clark Atlanta...one of the smaller schools in the area.

Spent a couple of minutes looking for it, but it's probably buried in Twitterverse by now.

When you cant hit anyone the defense is at a severe disadvantage. I remember doing 7 on 7s at camps where we rolled an entire lineman team and we were still completing passes against a state champion secondary

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When you cant hit anyone the defense is at a severe disadvantage. I remember doing 7 on 7s at camps where we rolled an entire lineman team and we were still completing passes against a state champion secondary
I think it's very worthwhile for both your offensive and defensive skill players. Just having your qb throwing to moving targets who are being covered is huge. Having your db's trying to cover in a more difficult situation than actual games can't hurt, either.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think it's very worthwhile for both your offensive and defensive skill players. Just having your qb throwing to moving targets who are being covered is huge. Having your db's trying to cover in a more difficult situation than actual games can't hurt, either.

Exactly, but "getting lit up" should be taken with a grain of salt. Usually the only reason you don't complete the pass is a drop or bad throw.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I remember getting crap last summer when I took it as a bad sign that we weren't doing better, especially on O, during 7 on 7.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
....I'm going to be honest, this is pretty damning:

“I know I catch myself sometimes – if the first option isn’t there, I kind of peek at the second option, but don’t really think to throw it to him, and I go ahead and get outside the pocket because, of course, I’m really good with my legs,” Marshall said. “But I’m trying to stay in the pocket a little bit more.”

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

“I know I catch myself sometimes – if the first option isn’t there, I kind of peek at the second option, but don’t really think to throw it to him, and I go ahead and get outside the pocket because, of course, I’m really good with my legs,” Marshall said. “But I’m trying to stay in the pocket a little bit more.”

That is the mind of a run first qb. There are progressions in our system that are just that First option, run, scramble to second option. They are a staple of run and shoot systems where you are running option routes on both sides. the QB can only read one reciever to see where he is. Most of the time they are suppose to be open due to the option route, if they aren't get 5 yards.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Left out what is implied = this year if coach calls a pass play and i do the high school tuck and run, the next play be sent in w a qb.

I for one am delighted marshall has realized and worked on being a better passer - stop, pop , hit the spot.
Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I'm more worried about his deep ball on play action with no pressure at a wr with a step and half on his man. I just rewatched the VT game and we should have won that going away instead of it hanging on one play that almost cost us again. At the end of the first half, Marshall missed on two deep balls that would have been td's if the ball was thrown in stride, one to Juene and one to Stewart. Both these balls were on the same drive so we only lost 7. In the second half he underthrew Camp in the endzone who also had his man beat deep. That's 14 points we should have had easy. All three throws were play action, no pressure.

Good news is he watches tape, takes coaching, works hard and is humble enough to recognize his shortcomings. He has the tools to be good and has had some nice throws mixed in. That second deep ball to Stewart went for a td. It was perfectly thrown in stride. We just need more like it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … QBs miss wide open WRs all the time. I don't hold missing long throws against TaQuon, especially since his mechanics on those are usually ok. What bothers me is his short game. He does have a tendency to fling his short throws - sidearm, just like Nesbitt - and the ball sails on him. He has got to stop doing that. It's just a matter of a nano-second more time and work on muscle memory; the Goose showed that. Here's hoping he has worked on this.

And, yes, any Tech QB who runs like he does should probably look to his legs first when a play goes south.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

I thought Marshall playing AB his first year or two would’ve helped him play QB in this system but I’m wondering if it’s part of the reason he keeps the ball so much. He’s more of a RB than he is a QB.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I thought Marshall playing AB his first year or two would’ve helped him play QB in this system but I’m wondering if it’s part of the reason he keeps the ball so much. He’s more of a RB than he is a QB.

I never understood that logic in the first place. If it was better to play Aback for our QBs then why wouldn't we intentionally do this with the others?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
IN high school he had almost as much yardage running as passing.From watching recruiting for 50 yrs,I've seen that as a basically RUNNING QB. MAYBE ,but unlikely it will change much this yr.Maybe if he had a 3rd yr.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I never understood that logic in the first place. If it was better to play Aback for our QBs then why wouldn't we intentionally do this with the others?
It was not done intentionally. The depth chart is usually crowded at QB. We usually don't see anyone lower than # 2 get playing time at that position. And when there are some 'tweeners, or athletes if you prefer, in the depth chart sometimes they will voluntarily move to AB to get playing time much like Jordan and Marshall have done. The injury that knocked Byerly out in 2015 necessitated moving Jordan back to QB. In 2016 Jordan was # 2 by virtue of having had all of the snaps as a backup the previous season. Marshall wasn't ready in 2016. My hope is that Marshall will improve and put it all together in 2018. My fear is that his instinct to tuck and run will take over or he will get happy feet in the pocket and not set his feet if he does throw. Our # 2 has got to be ready to go in. I am hoping that it is Johnson. I hope that he doesn't have to come in to save a game but will get enough time under center to be ready for 2019.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

7v7 are usually timed downs...a few seconds most of the time or it's a lost down. Any reps you can get with teammates are usually good if they're working within our system (offensively or defensively).

That being said, I would take it with a grain of salt. Probably just a lower level player popping off at the mouth because he completed a pass or two against P5 players.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really don't think TQM keeps the ball too much. His reads are decent and the defense decides who keeps the ball.

Guys, our offense was not all that bad last year. Yes it could be better, but it was not bad. FEI rank of 20 is decent.

The defense was not good, but it was second best year for Roof in FEI. The lack of forced turnovers hurt.

Special teams was very bad last year. I am not talking about punter. I am talking about field position and the score that make or break a close game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think TQM keeps the ball too much. His reads are decent and the defense decides who keeps the ball.

Guys, our offense was not all that bad last year. Yes it could be better, but it was not bad. FEI rank of 20 is decent.

The defense was not good, but it was second best year for Roof in FEI. The lack of forced turnovers hurt.

Special teams was very bad last year. I am not talking about punter. I am talking about field position and the score that make or break a close game.
Both O and D seemed to be worse at end of half scenarios. Is that factual or just clowded mismemory?