5 yr sr's vs true frosh

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
fwiw, I think Bostic was still one
A tale of contrasts: Andrews with the textbook cut... Summers(84) gets juked out of his shoes by the guy he supposed to block (17).

Dude. The guy who "juked" Summers made the tackle like 10 yards down field because Summers blocked his direct path to the ball carrier. Take the win.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Two guys I would have liked to have had as 5th yr seniors:

Orwin Smith -- Almost all ST duties as tr-fr

Darren Waller -- ST duties as tr-fr. Would be huge to have him coming back next year!

Mostly though I think the coaches get it right. Waller did block a punt I think his freshman year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These are great points. There may be a positive that I haven't seen mentioned before regarding the apparent upgrade in speed we may getting at a-back with the freshman and that is a better pitch relationship. I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that JT was getting to the edge a little ahead of the a-backs at times, especially in the early games last year. I didn't see it as often in later games, so maybe JT or the a-backs adjusted somehow. Regardless, if my observation is correct, having a-backs with similar speed to JT may help that aspect of the option.

On the other hand, I may be totally wrong.
I think you are right on about the pitch relationship early on. I just don't think it is because guys are slow necessarily. Timing is hugely important and just understanding how fast your starting QB can get to the edge. He isn't like the guys running with the 2s and 3s.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man, I really like having seniors as opposed to freshmen. We need to RS as much as possible, but we also need to win today. It is a balance. In my mind, a frosh has to show that he can IMPROVE the team to be playing. Otherwise, give him a shirt. Guys like Megatron are obvious. Most cases aren't that easy.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
To add to my post above I seem to remember Orwin had a big KR as a tr-fr that may have decided the "W"vs Duke that year.

So it's hard for me to gauge Whether it's worth it or not to play some of these tr-fr. for STs only. I would like to have seen what Waller could do with another year. IMO Would be SCARY. And of course Orwin for another year'd have been sweet.

But ST s are important too and we used to have big problems there, so maybe those guys were really needed there as tr-fr.

runnerbuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
i agree with the point that rs-sr > tr fr but the real question to me is how many of them won't make it to their rs-sr years due to graduation, discipline, transfer, etc vs those that actually play as a rs-sr? i get that it's a risk/reward but has anybody ever looked at those numbers?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
i agree with the point that rs-sr > tr fr but the real question to me is how many of them won't make it to their rs-sr years due to graduation, discipline, transfer, etc vs those that actually play as a rs-sr? i get that it's a risk/reward but has anybody ever looked at those numbers?
This is also a worry of mine. With the academic rigors at Tech and tight ship that coach runs... I feel like alot of potential goes to waste by RS certain players. I think if they are borderline... we should play them and worry about a RS down the road if needed. Unless they are just too small when arriving on campus.. .throw em into the fire. Also I wanted to comment on Bostic. His blocking did improve this year... but it had nowhere to go but up. His previous seasons were a huge disappointment I'm all categories

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
80.1% of the time a 5th year senior that plays is better they would have been if they didn't have that 5th year.
(okay, I made the percentage up... but I think most would agree that a player will be better as a 21/22 year old than a 18/19 year old.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
80.1% of the time a 5th year senior that plays is better they would have been if they didn't have that 5th year.
(okay, I made the percentage up... but I think most would agree that a player will be better as a 21/22 year old than a 18/19 year old.

Another issue is the academics. In my day it took an average of 18 hrs per term to graduate in 4 years. If you drop to 14-15 hours it will take 5 years. For a lot of students a 15 hour load is a lot while playing a sport. Many can get out in 4 years but for many others a 5 year plan would make sense academically.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Luckily some players have some AP classes they use. Most probably don't have too many if any. You are so right that as a STUDENT, getting that fith year makes a big difference.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
thought experiment - what are the chances for a freshman making the GT 15 team if we had the recruiting class for Ga Southern verses University of Alabama? Obviously close to zero for ga southern and much much higher percent. Then say we have 3 ga southern classes follo we ed by 2 alabama classes. IMO few gs players see the field.
as we get much better, we much continue to improve recruiting classes and let them play .
IMO Redshirt senior and junior must be very good or split time with underclassman.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Another issue is the academics. In my day it took an average of 18 hrs per term to graduate in 4 years. If you drop to 14-15 hours it will take 5 years. For a lot of students a 15 hour load is a lot while playing a sport. Many can get out in 4 years but for many others a 5 year plan would make sense academically.
most football players are around campus in the summer anyways, so they take classes. in fact, many football players end up graduating early.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
A tale of contrasts: Andrews with the textbook cut... Summers(84) gets juked out of his shoes by the guy he supposed to block (17).
actually Summers did do a poor job--with the angle he had and the defender looking at the runner there should be little reason for him to almost whiff on the play, that run could have gone for a TD
if anybody likes his blocking ,you will get to see a bunch next yr as he is to be our bell-cow WR