4th and Stewart

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I was too hyped to pay attention to what was going on during the game.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/video?gameId=400756962
I can't figure out how to pinpoint link this one.

Looking at it again, it appears that on 4th and 5 and any chance of victory riding on us getting 5.1 yards, Coach called a Post/Out-and-up combo ----> two 25+ yard routes. Doesn't appear to be anything underneath.

There's a chance that Stewart had an option route here and could have chosen to cut the route off on the out if there wasn't a guy on top of him, but it doesn't appear that way to me based on the body language of he or JT.

I'd like to point out that our O-Line properly executed their "turn" protection this time around. We get a lot of flack when this goes bad, because in turn protection you actually just let guys go by you to the outside - your job is to take an area (here, the gap to their left), rather than a man. We gave Justin exactly what he needed.

Stewart smoked his dude on the play. Wish we had a better angle of his route.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
it was a wheel route....stewart ran the wheel....it wasn't an option it was designed to lose the CB in the combo wash....I saw a replay of it overhead....It was intended to go to brad the whole way....good call, nice throw nice catch under pressure.

i still wish we didn't have to hit a 40 yarder on 4 and 5 though...man....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was too hyped to pay attention to what was going on during the game.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/video?gameId=400756962
I can't figure out how to pinpoint link this one.

Looking at it again, it appears that on 4th and 5 and any chance of victory riding on us getting 5.1 yards, Coach called a Post/Out-and-up combo ----> two 25+ yard routes. Doesn't appear to be anything underneath.

There's a chance that Stewart had an option route here and could have chosen to cut the route off on the out if there wasn't a guy on top of him, but it doesn't appear that way to me based on the body language of he or JT.

I'd like to point out that our O-Line properly executed their "turn" protection this time around. We get a lot of flack when this goes bad, because in turn protection you actually just let guys go by you to the outside - your job is to take an area (here, the gap to their left), rather than a man. We gave Justin exactly what he needed.

Stewart smoked his dude on the play. Wish we had a better angle of his route.
Nice. Thanks for posting. Thomas now has a double for his VT pass last season.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
it was a wheel route....stewart ran the wheel....it wasn't an option it was designed to lose the CB in the combo wash....I saw a replay of it overhead....It was intended to go to brad the whole way....good call, nice throw nice catch under pressure.

i still wish we didn't have to hit a 40 yarder on 4 and 5 though...man....

We run the Post-Wheel combo pretty regularly. I don't think what Stewart does here looks like our typical wheel route. Stewart here drives up, out, and then cuts hard back upfield.

The Post-Wheel works so well because it looks identical to how we typical block the Triple when facing a cover two or man defense - the A-back or slot receiver opens up and bends outside to replace the WR, who is aiming at the safety. Same basic thing as when we do Switch combo.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We run the Post-Wheel combo pretty regularly. I don't think what Stewart does here looks like our typical wheel route. Stewart here drives up, out, and then cuts hard back upfield.

The Post-Wheel works so well because it looks identical to how we typical block the Triple when facing a cover two or man defense - the A-back or slot receiver opens up and bends outside to replace the WR, who is aiming at the safety. Same basic thing as when we do Switch combo.

Stylee, Paul Johnson said Brad ran the wheel route, that he called brad to run the wheel. I haven't looked at your replay due to the ads i can't stand...but in the one I saw it was a classic slot wheel where brad comes under the clearout and rounds the route off up the sideline. I didn't see anything unique to it from the overhead cam replay I saw. He has to jam his CB in the "wash" he was off the LOS in the slot so he is going to run upfield a tad then start the wheel...its a classic WR wheel route. Just glad the other WR did a good job on the clearout.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the replay it's a wheel. As a slot he drives to back his cb into the switch. Could've had an option. Most of our routes do after all.

Declinometer

Banned
At first I thought it was overthrown and he would have to make a diving catch. Then I saw that it was right in stride. Then I saw him catch it like it was a guy playing catch in front of a fraternity house.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
To recap, I was wrong about:
* the route Brad ran
* that it was an option route

My thing is this: our "wheel" route has the wheeling player looking over his inside shoulder from the get-go. Observe the pass to Lynch earlier on that drive that he dropped. Here, if Brad had stopped short, he'd have had to look over the outside shoulder to make the catch.

But I'm not here to disagree with CPJ's classification.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I could be wrong stylee, but PJ calls it exactly like you say in the presser. Says it was a Post wheel play. Brad had the option to break off the route or run the wheel.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
33 Paul calls it a post wheel in his post presser (940'ish). Says that brad chose to wheel it.

Ok i must have miss recalled in my scotch induced cheering stuper when i listened. I clearly see a wheel route on tape but missed brad can option that. Normally with the split running inside like that the slot doesnt post option which is why i may have convinced myself no option on the route

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I hope (and fell) that this play boots our teams confidence similarly to last years 4th and 15 or whatever against VT. Refuse to lose from here on out boys!

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
To recap, I was wrong about:
* the route Brad ran
* that it was an option route

My thing is this: our "wheel" route has the wheeling player looking over his inside shoulder from the get-go. Observe the pass to Lynch earlier on that drive that he dropped. Here, if Brad had stopped short, he'd have had to look over the outside shoulder to make the catch.

But I'm not here to disagree with CPJ's classification.
I thought Lynch drop was due to good play by the defender.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I will say when I saw the ball go in the air and that the WR was open AND it was Stewart I felt very confident the catch would be made. Kid is sure handed and adjusts to the ball like a center-fielder. Great to see yet another player making a play in a great team win.

FWIW, I think Lynch has great hands too. That FSU CB made a hell of a play getting his hand in there (and not unlike the play in the end zone made by Austin to knock out what I thought was a sure FSU TD reception and ended up a Golden INT).