404 Day Numbers

MidtownJacket

Staff member
haha, I am 33 so I guess getting closer to old than hip, but c'mon man you know I am going to be rocking the hat all around Houston. That bag is going to be my new gym bag too

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I see why we are doing this, but 404 is not the only area code used in Atlanta, especially if you include the suburbs. Using ATL, our general postal and airline code, would be much better (i.e. more inclusive) and we are already doing it.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I see why we are doing this, but 404 is not the only area code used in Atlanta, especially if you include the suburbs. Using ATL, our general postal and airline code, would be much better (i.e. more inclusive) and we are already doing it.
ATLtheCulture doesn’t really roll off the tongue. 404 day for Atlanta was around before Collins and the GT phone number is area code 404. Just cause your actual area code isn’t 404, doesn’t mean 404 can’t represent you as a fan.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

912 is my area code, but I shout out to 404 because you got to conquer your area code before you conquer the state & before you conquer the nation.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
912 is my area code, but I shout out to 404 because you got to conquer your area code before you conquer the state & before you conquer the nation.
Likewise, I have had a 678 number in 2003 and live in North Houston now, but I will absolutely rep my city and if the 404 or the ATL or the 770 or the 678 is how you wanna call it, then leggo!

Peace up, A-Town Down!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Likewise, I have had a 678 number in 2003 and live in North Houston now, but I will absolutely rep my city and if the 404 or the ATL or the 770 or the 678 is how you wanna call it, then leggo!

Peace up, A-Town Down!
I'm not worried about Tech fans. I'm worried about the random recruit who might use the wrong phone code as an excuse to not sign with Tech.

You think this can't happen? I'm betting - I don't know - we've lost recruits for similarly silly reasons. Why take the risk?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm not worried about Tech fans. I'm worried about the random recruit who might use the wrong phone code as an excuse to not sign with Tech.

You think this can't happen? I'm betting - I don't know - we've lost recruits for similarly silly reasons. Why take the risk?

Thats silly, no offense. We have 2 commits from Florida tweeting about the 404 and the metro Atlanta kids are especially loving it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Is this a complaint about cgc that I should screen shot for future publication?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Is this a complaint about cgc that I should screen shot for future publication?
No, not at all. If you read the post again, you'll see that I said I understand why the meme was adopted.

In future, however, I'd stick to the ATL as our id. We are drawing from the entire metro area and, I might add, that's how the place is identified in national media.

Oh, and smokey, I'm not worried about recruits from Florida; what do they know, anyhow? I'm worried about negative recruiting playing on the exclusionary aspects of the meme for "metro Atlanta kids". Maybe not this year, but why give a rival recruiter any kind of edge going forward? Given Tech's academic requirements, we don't even want to flirt with that.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
No, not at all. If you read the post again, you'll see that I said I understand why the meme was adopted.

In future, however, I'd stick to the ATL as our id. We are drawing from the entire metro area and, I might add, that's how the place is identified in national media.

Oh, and smokey, I'm not worried about recruits from Florida; what do they know, anyhow? I'm worried about negative recruiting playing on the exclusionary aspects of the meme for "metro Atlanta kids". Maybe not this year, but why give a rival recruiter any kind of edge going forward? Given Tech's academic requirements, we don't even want to flirt with that.

I get that you're trying to forestall any issues we MIGHT have later and that you understand the rationale behind the meme. But seriously, the positives of using 404 right now as a way for the metro area kids and coaches and other Atlanta-based entities (like companies, music stars, public figures, etc...) to ID us so far outweigh a potential negative. We are getting so much POSITIVE traction from it that we didn't have before. So suggesting we drop it in favor of ATL because of the minuscule chance that it could possibly be used against us because there are other area codes around ATL and someone might get insulted is really trying to cater to the 1% instead of the 80%. The 404 branding has brought us recognition and positivity from a huge group of kids who had no interest in us previously. Let's say there are 1000 kids in the area and without the new branding 100 of them are interested in us. With the new branding let's say 600 are even starting to look our way (I'm just talking about interest, not seriously looking into coming to GT, just that they have positive perception that didn't exist before). You wouldn't want to lose those 600 in an effort to gain 10 more.