3rd and long myth busted

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We converted 5 third and longs, 3 of which went for td's.

1. 1st drive, 3rd and 8, got 15
2. 2nd drive, 3rd and 7, td pass to Smelter
3. 3rd drive, 3rd and 11, td pass to Waller
4. 6th drive, 3 and 7, converted due to corner holding Smelter
5. 9th drive, 3rd and 14, td pass to Synjyn

All of that in the face of Tenuta's genius blitz happy scheme that feasts on 3rd and long situations.

We also converted two 3rd and 5's today, but I categorize them as 3rd and medium, not 3rd and long.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Eventually reality will sink in through their very dense skulls. I'm glad I'm in the stands at home and not forced to listen to their drivel. I've never managed to sync GT radio with TV broadcast properly.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We have converted a ton of third and longs this year yet it is still brought up on every one by the announcers.
Did you notice though . . . . the announcers mentioned a couple of times that Tech leads the nation in third down conversion . . . and then (when they were kind of pulling for Virginia's defense to actually make a game of it) they said something like, "Now they have Tech in 3rd and long which is actually what you have to do to this offense to have any success . . . ," and they went on from there with the usual drivel about how this offense has a harder time with 3rd and long (like what offense doesn't have more trouble with 3rd and long?).

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you notice though . . . . the announcers mentioned a couple of times that Tech leads the nation in third down conversion . . . and then (when they were kind of pulling for Virginia's defense to actually make a game of it) they said something like, "Now they have Tech in 3rd and long which is actually what you have to do to this offense to have any success . . . ," and they went on from there with the usual drivel about how this offense has a harder time with 3rd and long (like what offense doesn't have more trouble with 3rd and long?).
Corporate media is like:
DERP-derp-23141158-815-622.jpg

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Man if you listen to the "experts" you'd think we should just punt on anything but 3rd and 2 or less.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I really don't think the media will ever get it.
By many metrics, we're a top-5 offense in the country. We're fantastic on 3rd and long.
We have a pipeline of NFL wideouts. Our QB is deadly efficient through the air.

These are things you don't hear from the talking heads. The two guys calling the game today did a good job, but the studio dudes? They just don't get it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think the media will ever get it.
By many metrics, we're a top-5 offense in the country. We're fantastic on 3rd and long.
We have a pipeline of NFL wideouts. Our QB is deadly efficient through the air.

These are things you don't hear from the talking heads. The two guys calling the game today did a good job, but the studio dudes? They just don't get it.
I have said this before. It strikes me as laziness. These guys spend a lot of time studying offensive systems that are not like Tech. To be familiar with Tech requires accepting an entirely different mindset about offense than what they are habituated to. They are used to talking in cliches about most offenses but when they use cliches with Tech it is clear that they are way over their heads. Hence, they would rather just call the B-back a fullback and they would rather try to translate Tech's style into something they already understand. They would rather sound knowledgeable than to say things like, "This is a different kind of system but they tell me that it is based on offensive principles that are found in almost every type of offense, something about getting a numbers advantage and not wasting a block on a player who is not going to be able to make the play. I think it also has something to do with timing so let's just watch how this B-back runs and notice that he is exploiting the same type of numbers game that an A-back exploits when he runs to the outside but in both cases, they tell me, it has something to with making the defense commit first or at least begin to play toward a tendency. But I am no expert on this and all I can really tell you is that this offense averages more points a game than most top ten teams and is more efficient than any other team in converting 3rd downs, so it is definitely an offense that defenses have to take very very seriously." But this would be too much to ask wouldn't it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The game broadcasters usually do a decent job of schooling themselves. They just have a reluctance to veer much from standard opinions out there. The real boobs are the jokers in the studio. I think the only games they watch all year are the ones they happen to be covering at the time. They literally talk out their a holes and sometimes I wonder if they are even watching the game on during their broadcast.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Yup, I kept thinking, "I've heard this before..."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Of course our O is #1 for third down conversion % overall. It's what we do. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category25/sort01.html

But in 3rd and long, we aren't that good.

Here are the stats for 3rd defensively:
Overall 120th for the season http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category25/sort01.html
But overall yesterday we had a good game at 25% http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/255/thirddown/defense/gamelog.html

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
This was the first game all year where I saw 3rd and 11 and thought "No problem". The team just seemed completely in control for almost entirety of the game. This is particularly encouraging considering UVA's defense.

Offense is scary good right now.

GoldBeard

Georgia Tech Fan
I also don't appreciate the announcers saying all inclusive things like "none of the running backs like to practice in the this offense" and "the defense hates practicing against this offense." They made these comments (paraphrasing) yesterday, and I've heard other announcers say it this year, too.

Did they poll our players?