3rd and long myth busted

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
This was the first game all year where I saw 3rd and 11 and thought "No problem". The team just seemed completely in control for almost entirety of the game. This is particularly encouraging considering UVA's defense.

Offense is scary good right now.
That is a great point. In the past if we had a procedure call or a yardage loss, I would be thinking we would probably have to punt by series end. Now I find myself thinking "we still will get the first". Also instead of hoping Godhigh might pull out a big play, there are numerous players that I trust to make the big play. These guys are fun to watch and I really don't understand how you can't get excited every time the offense gets the ball.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course our O is #1 for third down conversion % overall. It's what we do. http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category25/sort01.html

But in 3rd and long, we aren't that good.
I don't think you're reading those stats correctly. I think they're strict passing yardage measurements, not conversion percentages.

I think the column titled "1st" is the total number of 1st downs and we're tied for 47th with 6 on 22 attempts it appears.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hey you're right. 6 of 22 is 27%. When I put it is a spreadsheet and did the calc for all teams on % first down basis by passing, we were tied for 42nd. So not bad. And we were really good on rushing at 3 of 5 conversions.

Did you find a way to get total rushing & passing stats from cfbstats or another source?