3rd and 4...

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
So now it has morphed from "running the option" to "running the triple option". If I remember the OB right, we saw little of the triple, and in fact, not all that often every game. Even Johnson has made that point. But if you insist, I would argue that Florida, OSU and Clemson, run versions of a triple option: fake HO to running back, decide to run ... or pass. I think that's three. And all three teams have done pretty well with it, I think.

Yes. Out of the spread. And not under center.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
The rocket toss would probably be a good play to call in that situation, but the players can't block it correctly so CPJ doesn't call it. Four or five years ago, that play was money and CPJ called it all the time, especially at the goal line. Then, the QB follow became fashionable and that's all that's been called over the last few years. Sadly, neither of those plays are reliable today, so it's a dive up the middle because the team can't pass block either.

By the way, an incomplete pass and a no gain are pretty much the same. That said, I appreciate the desire to see a pass instead of a dive. I think CPJ would call the pass if he had some confidence that the team could pass block long enough to get the pass off. Against Clemson CPJ did call a screen pass at one point. It looked pretty good at first, and then the pass fell incomplete. :(

A pass attempt is better vs 11 guys in the box va a dive.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Name one that runs the same offense as GT.

That better
Well, I think we are the ONLY team who runs this offense, so.......... I guess the answer of your question can be found with GT results only. Pretty small sample size. There are some similar offenses, but nobody exactly like ours. NAVY might be closest.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Name me one successfully team year over year that run the TO. I'll wait.

Georgia Southern, under CPJ. Last year was Southern's first season in the FBS and they went 9-3. They're 4-1 so far this year.

If you're going to tell me that Southern doesn't count, for whatever reason, then there is no answer I can give you that you would accept. What you are looking for is for someone to say FBS name brand team X has won 10 or more games a year over the last so many years in recent history while running the triple option. You and I both know that only a few college teams today base out of the triple option and that none of them have had that kind of success. To find a team with that kind of success running the triple option, we'd have to go a a least a little ways back into history. I'm not sure if Lou Holz ran the triple option at Notre Dame or not as I find conflicting stories on that and that was before I paid attention to college football. Supposedly Nebraska under Osborne was double option, not triple option, despite the run heavy nature of the offense (this also was before I paid attention to college football).

If you don't like the triple option, or are just tired of it, and would rather GT have difference offense, that is fine. Just start a new thread titled 'Post-CPJ Offense' and state your preferred offense and why you think it would be a good one to have. It'd be helpful for the ensuing discussion if you could also name some coaches that you think would be willing to come to GT and run your preferred brand of offense. I think you'll get a much more satisfying discussion if you do that rather than whining and complaining about CPJ and the offense. Hopefully, no one would object to discussing a post-CPJ future at this point since the CPJ present is a bit grim.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Name me one successfully team year over year that run the TO. I'll wait.

Assume you mean being a run heavy option base offense OU and Nebraska were pretty good "back in the day"... (wishbone is a form of option football)

BTW Texas just beat OU while attempting 9 passes. (not that I suggest that is the only way to go).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Southern, under CPJ. Last year was Southern's first season in the FBS and they went 9-3. They're 4-1 so far this year.

If you're going to tell me that Southern doesn't count, for whatever reason, then there is no answer I can give you that you would accept. What you are looking for is for someone to say FBS name brand team X has won 10 or more games a year over the last so many years in recent history while running the triple option. You and I both know that only a few college teams today base out of the triple option and that none of them have had that kind of success. To find a team with that kind of success running the triple option, we'd have to go a a least a little ways back into history. I'm not sure if Lou Holz ran the triple option at Notre Dame or not as I find conflicting stories on that and that was before I paid attention to college football. Supposedly Nebraska under Osborne was double option, not triple option, despite the run heavy nature of the offense (this also was before I paid attention to college football).

If you don't like the triple option, or are just tired of it, and would rather GT have difference offense, that is fine. Just start a new thread titled 'Post-CPJ Offense' and state your preferred offense and why you think it would be a good one to have. It'd be helpful for the ensuing discussion if you could also name some coaches that you think would be willing to come to GT and run your preferred brand of offense. I think you'll get a much more satisfying discussion if you do that rather than whining and complaining about CPJ and the offense. Hopefully, no one would object to discussing a post-CPJ future at this point since the CPJ present is a bit grim.
Not to worry. The whining will stop when GT wins.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A pass attempt is better vs 11 guys in the box va a dive.
It would really help also if one learned the difference between an option run up the middle vs. "dive". They are not interchangeable terms and even I know that. Now, I don't know any previous positions but it seems to me all this bellaching started when GT started losing, and suddenly the 8-year option at GT became a failure because it is failing now. In '14 Tech averaged 38 points a game. I don't know in years past but it was high, and the reason for losses generally was because of a very porous defense. Now we are pointing to a one-year failure as a historical continuance. At the risk of appearing a terrorist, there is an Arab proverb that applies: when the fox cannot reach the grapes he says they are not ripe.

Body Massage Machine

Georgia Tech Fan
Our offense is a perfect fit for GT for the kind of athletes we can get. It was awesome to see the level of execution against quality teams las year. I feel our best shot to be consistent is with an offense like this. We cannot simply recruit 300 lb lineman and 5 star athletes at will and plug them in a joke majors (see Alabama - low standards, more athlete, less student). We have to recruit a different kind of athlete, which is fine.

Going forward, I feel we will improve dramatically at the skill positions, which will open up the offense significantly. We will just have to find a good replacement for JT to lead the way after 2016. I really like what we have with Taquon Marshall and Christian Campbell.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Football clueless?
I have forgotten more than most will learn.
1 year. 1 year.
And the way y'all say, with the athletes why didn't he win it all?

If the TO is so good, why don't everyone run it?
I have said, the TO is good IF executed. But it's is one deminsional.
When there are 11 players in the box and you don't check to a slant, screen, or anything else.....that's one dimensional an will not win in today's college football world.

Is what it is.
Ignore button .

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And its the one that don't want CPJ to succeed (he already has). Because if he does then they are "wrong."
One of the Birddog's interesting observations from 2009 was that Johnson had won the "it won't work at this level" criticism before the ball was even kicked off. Doesn't stop people, though, does it? As if talking would make it so.