3 top 10 team played and beat 1 in top 20!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We lost to duke for several reasons. It was their senior night and they were fighting to get bowl eligible (they did by beating us and wake). Cutt runs an offense that is very efficient against our defense (look at the last 4 years and only due to a great run by JT out of our end zone in 2016 we would have lost that one). They recruit the same caliber players that we do. They have an experienced QB and we have a newbie that is not a good passer. The game should have been closer than it was. We were coming off a big win and they had lost 6 straight. We probably overlooked them and figured we could just show up and win. We have been bad on the road all year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We lost to duke for several reasons. It was their senior night and they were fighting to get bowl eligible (they did by beating us and wake). Cutt runs an offense that is very efficient against our defense (look at the last 4 years and only due to a great run by JT out of our end zone in 2016 we would have lost that one). They recruit the same caliber players that we do. They have an experienced QB and we have a newbie that is not a good passer. The game should have been closer than it was. We were coming off a big win and they had lost 6 straight. We probably overlooked them and figured we could just show up and win. We have been bad on the road all year.
We lost that game for one very simple reason: effort. Of which we had none. And of which Duke came loaded. Everything else is eyewash and piffle. After all, we had a chance to get bowl eligible, too. We try, we play hard, we win. We don't, we start inventorying excuses.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here’s what I don’t get: so you come out flat for the opening kick, but then you get punched in the mouth. How the hell do you not wake up?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here’s what I don’t get: so you come out flat for the opening kick, but then you get punched in the mouth. How the hell do you not wake up?
That is the question. Pay the man. It is one Johnson has to decipher over the winter, as well as ... Georgia. I did not think at any time leading to that game that we were going to win, barring another late miracle. I did think we would be competitive, or at least hoped so. But I wasn't wearing rose-colored glasses. But like Clemson a couple of years ago, and Duke previous, we didn't much compete. And as you say, when you are hit in the mouth what else do you need to know the other guy is serious business?