3 top 10 team played and beat 1 in top 20!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
there you have it! But I will say things have been covered pretty well! I agree mostly with lack of leadership. I noticed Sat that after a big play our players were jumping up and down on the sideline. They got that from other teams. The QB great ath. but could not make the reads a lot of times. I agree with the Def not being aggresive enough, the spec teams were horrible in all phases except the punter. I have also read in other post people are saying the last 3 years not good (17-19) but then add 1 more year (28-22) But still so much for this year.

Deleted member 2897

Saw this earlier and forgot to post.

GT had the 8th toughest schedule per Sagarin
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

GT is #39 overall in Sagarin ranking.

Sagarin has us ahead of USCe, WV, Texas A&M, South Florida, Missouri, Texas Tech, Arizona, UCLA and (gasp) Army and Navy among others.

Yup, look at next year:
1) Clemson will likely be a top 10 team. 11 wins with a chance to win 14 this year.
2) Miami will likely be a top 10 team. 10 wins with a chance to win 13 this year.
3) @ Georgia will likely be a top 10 team. 11 wins with a chance to win 14 this year.
4) @ Virginia Tech is ranked with 9 wins this year, a chance to win 10 and will likely be a top 25 team next year.
5) @ USF - is ranked with 9 wins this year, a chance to win 10 and could be a top 25 team next year.
6) @ Louisville - crazy season and still won 8 games with a chance to win 9.

That is a ridiculous set of 6 games to me. Even if we ran the rest of the schedule, that's quite a gauntlet.

To those demanding 9+ wins, only 3 teams in the entire ACC out of 14 teams won 9 games this year. To have our school spend in the bottom third of the conference but expect to finish in the top 20% is a bit unreasonable.

I look at that schedule next year, and I'm not sure where 9 wins come from. I think 8 wins next year would be a helluva season.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Yup, look at next year:
1) Clemson will likely be a top 10 team. 11 wins with a chance to win 14 this year.
2) Miami will likely be a top 10 team. 10 wins with a chance to win 13 this year.
3) @ Georgia will likely be a top 10 team. 11 wins with a chance to win 14 this year.
4) @ Virginia Tech is ranked with 9 wins this year, a chance to win 10 and will likely be a top 25 team next year.
5) @ USF - is ranked with 9 wins this year, a chance to win 10 and could be a top 25 team next year.

That is a ridiculous set of 6 games to me. Even if we ran the rest of the schedule, that's quite a gauntlet.

To those demanding 9+ wins, only 3 teams in the entire ACC out of 14 teams won 9 games this year. To have our school spend in the bottom third of the conference but expect to finish in the top 20% is a bit unreasonable.

I look at that schedule next year, and I'm not sure where 9 wins come from. I think 8 wins next year would be a helluva season.
Louisville doesn't scare me because Lamar will be gone and USF had close to 30 (if not over 30) seniors graduate. As to the others, at least we get Clemson and Miami at home and we have beat ugag and Va Tech at their places the last 2 times that we have played them there. I think we win at least 7-8 games next year and if things go our way then this is a 10 win team imo.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I mean I guess it has some merit, but I just don’t get bragging about how good the teams you lost to are. It’s not a vacuum. If you beat them, they wouldn’t have been ranked as high. Miami, for instance wouldn’t be a top 10 team outside of the miracle catch to basically win the game. More important to me is bragging about how good the teams are that you beat. Because you beat them and they are still ranked high.

It honestly doesn’t make me feel any better about being 5-6. Still should be 7-4 and division winners.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yup, look at next year:

Thanks bwelbo. Very view of our fans have perspective or realistic expectations.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Thanks bwelbo. Very view of our fans have perspective or realistic expectations.
I have perspective, I just choose to have optimistic perspective :). I really do expect this team to at least win 7-8 games next year and with the right bounces or a more aggressive defense then 10+.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I mean I guess it has some merit, but I just don’t get bragging about how good the teams you lost to are. It’s not a vacuum. If you beat them, they wouldn’t have been ranked as high. Miami, for instance wouldn’t be a top 10 team outside of the miracle catch to basically win the game. More important to me is bragging about how good the teams are that you beat. Because you beat them and they are still ranked high.

It honestly doesn’t make me feel any better about being 5-6. Still should be 7-4 and division winners.

I tend to agree. When you play a tough schedule like we do, you have to beat the Dukes, Uva's and Tennessee's on your schedule. Otherwise, you have to win more than your share against the big boys....which becomes even more difficult to do after you lose confidence by losing to teams like Duke, Uva and UT. It's a vicious cycle.
I compare it to test taking strategy at Ma tech...you knew going in to an exam that there were going to be 1/3 of the problems that you could do, 1/3 of the problems that only the professor could do and 1/3 of the problems that only Einstein, James Maxwell and Gottfried Liebniz could do if they were working together as a group project AND were allowed to use their class notes and a personal computer. Although you knew the professor was going to shaft those guys as well so their best total score would be a 74% even IF they collaborated so with the curve your 35% become a B-. But you just couldn't miss on that bottom 1/3. Otherwise you became the 2/3 who went on to graduate at places other than the I.That's all you really have to do. Just do what you are supposed to do. Otherwise, when you can't do what you need to do against the people you need to do it to, it becomes exponentially more complex to do what you need to do against people who are infinitely more resistant to your efforts to do what you have to do so if you don't, you end up either getting your degree somewhere else if you are a student or on a team with a losing record if you are a player or coach.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
GT had the 8th toughest schedule per Sagarin

I have mixed feelings.

Logically I can see we had a really tough schedule, and that our depth was lacking. Injuries to key players on the OL and on defense made a big difference to the outcomes of several close games as did well documented bad luck. Mitchell and Gray in my opinion would have produced a win at UVA. OL injuries to Lee, Stickler, Bryan, and Marshall made us move folks around up front, and the line seemed to steadily decline through the season. We just didn't seem to have the horses for 'next man up' unlike 2014 (and the competition was more elite).

In 2015's season I was strangely encouraged. While clearly outmanned we fought to the death and played with energy to the bitter end no matter the score. JT didn't regress, he just didn't have the same people around him. CPJ himself pointed out the character our team the 2015 team was intact and that we were just outmanned and had too many injuries.

This year I felt like our guys let all the close losses get to them. It seemed like by the end of the season the fight went out of us and we were beaten. We didn't match Duke's energy on either side of the ball. Or UGA's. It wasn't just the losses, it was the manner of the losses. The fact that we were winless on the road also suggests some frailty. Beating VT at home seemed to drain our last emotional resources.

I've got nothing conclusive to say, other than we need the guys from the last recruiting classes to develop, step up, provide quality depth, and show grit and character. Keep grinding and getting better. It's about all you can do.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
So we ranked 39th overall with the 8th toughest SOS. UGA is ranked 8th overall with a SOS of 48. Wisconsin is 5th overall with an SOS of 61, Clempson is #2 overall with an SOS of 11 and Auburn has the #3 overall rating with the 15th SOS and Bama is ranked #1 overall with an SOS of 54. One way to interpret this data from what I am seeing is that for GT we really do shoot ourselves in the foot with these incredibly difficult schedules which is what would be the expectation for a factory powerhouse. It is like tying one arm behind our back but we have overcome it previously. The other thing I am noticing is that my money is on Clempson as they have a 5-0 record against top 30 competition and Wisconsin is 3-0 against the same top 30. Logic would dictate it would be no surprise to see those two teams in the finals but All-barn is the outlier with the way they have gotten hot lately. Digression I know but it is just something I noticed in the numbers but it will be interesting to see how it plays out. And going by Sagarin we again even with this $hi++y year we had we still managed to outrank our recruiting rankings so there is still hope... Long as Roof, Sewak and the others that NEED to go actually go.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
We are pretty much going to have a tough schedule every year now. Every year we play Miami, Clemson, and UGAg. VT has their good years, too. If Lamar stays, Louisville will be a very tough game.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We are pretty much going to have a tough schedule every year now. Every year we play Miami, Clemson, and UGAg. VT has their good years, too. If Lamar stays, Louisville will be a very tough game.
First we have to worry about Duke, Uva and the lower tier teams. It is not like we can take anybody for granted, we can only count on not losing when we have a bye week

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
First we have to worry about Duke, Uva and the lower tier teams. It is not like we can take anybody for granted, we can only count on not losing when we have a bye week
Somebody once asked Sandy Koufax why he bore down so hard on poor hitters, when he could let up, rest a batter, and still get them out. Instead he went after the quick out with his good stuff. ".220 hitters hit .220 for a reason," he said.