3 Georgia Tech athletes have tested positive for COVID-19.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

Mentioned this in the other thread. Bound to be a few with a large amount of testing occurring. Hope everyone is feeling healthy. Looks like we are on top of things.

The three athletes tested positive in the initial screening phase, meaning that they were able to be separated before they began workouts with teammates.

All three athletic department staff who tested positive were reported Sunday. The school’s COVID-19 report stated that two work in the Edge Center — the athletic department headquarters — and one works in the Zelnak Basketball Center.

Of the two who work in the Edge Center, one works alone “and did not have contact with others,” according to the report, and was last on campus last Wednesday. The other’s affected co-workers “are being notified as consistent with Georgia Department of Public Health Protocols.” That staff member was last on campus last Friday.

The employee who works in Zelnak, where Tech’s basketball teams train, was last on campus on June 9.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Our system is working. Inevitably with such a contagious virus in the middle of ATL some guys will get it.

If we play our cards right we can make sure the teams aren’t infected and we can keep practices going with 90% of our athletes and staff

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Oddly,there is talk of clepsum (with 37) having an advantage IF IF IF the guys who get it develop anti-bodies so they don't repeat the virus so are free going forward.. hmmm

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s a plan worthy of the evil genius Steve Spurrier, I wonder if innocent old Dabo might be more conniving than he looks?

However I do think it reflects well on our staff that we’re taking our student athletes’ health seriously. Can’t hurt with recruiting!

Oddly,there is talk of clepsum (with 37) having an advantage IF IF IF the guys who get it develop anti-bodies so they don't repeat the virus so are free going forward.. hmmm

Might this actually be an option? Allow all players to contract the virus and after 2-3 weeks, they should be over it. Of course getting parents to sign off on this would be a totally different discussion. I'm not a doctor so there might be more to this than meets the eye, but as a non medical professional, this does seem plausible.

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
Might this actually be an option? Allow all players to contract the virus and after 2-3 weeks, they should be over it. Of course getting parents to sign off on this would be a totally different discussion. I'm not a doctor so there might be more to this than meets the eye, but as a non medical professional, this does seem plausible.
I think it’s not as simple as let’s get it and be over with it, there could be long term effects that the virus could inflict after you “got over it” (like with chickenpox and shingles). I mean idk if there’s any research on whether that’s the case, but I think the risk of damaging these players’ lives for the future isn’t worth some wicked desire to get a COVID advantage in one season of college football

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Might this actually be an option? Allow all players to contract the virus and after 2-3 weeks, they should be over it.

Knowing most football players are in peak physical condition, that might statisticalky be a safe play. However, we know coronavirus is much harder on obese people, so what about linemen? They may not be obese (although some are), but they definitely have a high BMI.

Problem is you just don't know.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...reater-covid-19-risk-because-size/5278194002/

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

According to the latest CDC statistics, 156 people in the 5-24 age group have died of Covid-19. That's a 156 out of a population group of over 80 million.

Seems like an option to me. Better that they get it now than after school starts.

I don't understand all the talk about no school or limited school. A student is far more likely to be killed in a car accident traveling to and from school than dying from Covid 19 (not to mention serious injuries from car accidents that are not fatal). Based on the current prevailing logic, we should have all schooling online. Wouldn't that be a great educational experience?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Seems we keep overlooking the same issue. Over and over and over.

By definition a pandemic is not about how particular individuals survive. It is about how we break the chain of infections. So far the rate of transmission is not <1.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Heard it was Gibbs, Juanyeh, and Tre. ;)

Steam Whistle, your emoji indicates that this may be some sort of inside joke and not a serious response so I am not removing your post.

To all who participate in this thread, please do not speculate or share names of our SA's here. As always, thanks for your support and understanding in this matter.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Steam Whistle, your emoji indicates that this may be some sort of inside joke and not a serious response so I am not removing your post.

To all who participate in this thread, please do not speculate or share names of our SA's here. As always, thanks for your support and understanding in this matter.
Yep I’m 100% joking around, that’s why I included 2 of our best returning players and the stud Frosh. Don’t even think Gibbs is on campus yet.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Are people really considering the merits of intentionally infecting people with a disease for the benefit of football?

I don't believe that anyone is advocating intentionally infecting people. But on the other hand, players have gotten the virus and more will get it. It may be beneficial to get it early while campus is less crowded.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Seems we keep overlooking the same issue. Over and over and over.

By definition a pandemic is not about how particular individuals survive. It is about how we break the chain of infections. So far the rate of transmission is not <1.
Not gonna happen, dude