2nd year in a row Tech starts 1-3.

Jmonty71

Banned
Back to Back years we start 1-3 and have an identity crisis at QB. Last year we wanted Tobias, this year we don’t. Last year we were supposed to give Nate Woody time this year we panic after 4 games. What’s changed with how we approach transition other then our fans opinions? Why do we have to win right away? Over the last 4 seasons Tech has a .500 record. Why are we holding Collins to such a high standard in year 1 of the biggest transition in the history of football? Where has those same expectations been? Why were we ok starting 1-3 last year? Did any of you pay attention to any preseason coverage of Tech? This was supposed to happen, all those polls that picked us at the bottom of everything were right. EVERYONE saw this coming, yet here we are for the 2nd year in a row melting down.
My concern is that CGC is not a good coach. He makes way too many "rookie" mistakes. His time management is terrible. His offense is non-existent. We can get told "he doesn't have the right players", "GT lacks talent" and "he's a great recruiter". However; we lost to the Citadel, who has less talent than us. I just see a very low ceiling with CGC. I think he is all talk and no action.

Animal02

Banned
My concern is that CGC is not a good coach. He makes way too many "rookie" mistakes. His time management is terrible. His offense is non-existent. We can get told "he doesn't have the right players", "GT lacks talent" and "he's a great recruiter". However; we lost to the Citadel, who has less talent than us. I just see a very low ceiling with CGC. I think he is all talk and no action.
But but but ...he will learn on the job:rolleyes:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I can't say CGC is not a good coach , he has done well as a defensive coordinator but that doesn't mean he will be a great Head Coach. As for the offense here is where I see he could be making the same mistake as some said about CPJ . CPJ worked the offense and wanted the defensive coordinator to do his job. I feel the CGC is working with the defense and wants his offensive coordinator ( P'nut) to do his job. That could be a bad move to trust P'nut but right now he has no choice. His big pay out for assistant coaches went to CBK ( which i'm fine with I like him ) I think P'nut gets 400k which is not going to get anyone a good coordinator. So he may need to look at a up and coming offensive coordinator.

( also note here I'm not the brightest one on here I just ramble on to sound a little intelligent half of time I just make crap up , and the funny part some believe it )

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
All that being said, but he ain't no rookie HC. The AD passed up without even a how-do-you-do -- South Georgia gets out sometimes -- a couple of top notch OC with no HC experience, and opted for a candidate with two years at a second tier program. Said second tier just ate our lunch, but be that as it may, that two years there and OC experience at a P5 school, and a good one, make a distinction without a difference. But I think I just made your point for you. He is a rookie as I look at it. Others can say if he is getting outcoached, but I still hopes he can pull it out because I am not gonna quit on GT because of a coach.

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem is that they are asking all of our QBs to do things they're not good at. So why not for the time being design some plays that use the things they are good at?

because those QBs won't get any better at the things they need to be good at for this system to succeed. Might as well go all-in with that approach now.

because those QBs won't get any better at the things they need to be good at for this system to succeed. Might as well go all-in with that approach now.
Totally disagree. You play a season to win games DURING THAT SEASON. We will have other QBs coming who hopefully will fit the system CGC wants. But for now, you go with what you got.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Can you name a bigger one in Power 5 football in the past 15 years? I’m all ears for it.

Interesting choice of parameters. This makes me think you can also throw shade on CGC’s claim. Did CGC mention a time frame or P5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Welp, you might want to remember this next time he makes a prediction. I never played at GT and I knew that wasn’t going to happen even if CPJ stayed. This was a 3-4 win team without oline injuries.
You keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Are you sure? I heard that this was the biggest transition in the history of football.
Including the single wing, the forward pass, the shift, the option, and the dropkick to get things started. Besides which look a bit south to Statesboro and at least twice in the past few years they have flipped offenses completely.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Totally disagree. You play a season to win games DURING THAT SEASON. We will have other QBs coming who hopefully will fit the system CGC wants. But for now, you go with what you got.
I'd sure hate to be a senior and be told we are tanking this season because winning is, you know, so hard. Maybe next year, too. Or for the next seven years even. You're right: win now with a system to fit the players you have.

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan

{{shrugs shoulders}} I'm just telling you what I think is happening based upon observation. Having JG run last year's option plays or QB Sweep stuff doesn't make any sense as it's not the direction we're headed and doesn't do anything to progress JG (or TO or LJ) into being better QBs in the system CGC is trying to establish.

Also, I think JG is absolutely being let do what he does best. No disagreement on Lucas when we saw him but he was an option QB so wasn't going to be a good fit in anything new. TO looked better vs Temple throwing the ball than last year so I disagree about him "not being good at those things". I think he should've seen more PT last year but that's a different topic...

We're not going to be running TO stuff or B-back dives or any of the old system just to get a few wins. It's pretty clear that CGC is committed to this new scheme, come hell or high water. I just hope he sticks with Graham as the starter and stops swapping him in and out. I personally think the QB Swap is stupid, I don't care what scheme you're running.

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd sure hate to be a senior and be told we are tanking this season because winning is, you know, so hard. Maybe next year, too. Or for the next seven years even. You're right: win now with a system to fit the players you have.

I'd hate to be a rising senior in any sport where the HC leaves after your junior season.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'd hate to be a rising senior in any sport where the HC leaves after your junior season.

Huh? This is always going to happen to somebody. Coaches get fired, retire, die, or whatever and then they leave the team behind. That’s how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

{{shrugs shoulders}} I'm just telling you what I think is happening based upon observation. Having JG run last year's option plays or QB Sweep stuff doesn't make any sense as it's not the direction we're headed and doesn't do anything to progress JG (or TO or LJ) into being better QBs in the system CGC is trying to establish.

Also, I think JG is absolutely being let do what he does best. No disagreement on Lucas when we saw him but he was an option QB so wasn't going to be a good fit in anything new. TO looked better vs Temple throwing the ball than last year so I disagree about him "not being good at those things". I think he should've seen more PT last year but that's a different topic...

We're not going to be running TO stuff or B-back dives or any of the old system just to get a few wins. It's pretty clear that CGC is committed to this new scheme, come hell or high water. I just hope he sticks with Graham as the starter and stops swapping him in and out. I personally think the QB Swap is stupid, I don't care what scheme you're running.
Nobody is even suggesting we run TO stuff, but there are plenty of run-oriented offenses that P-nut is totally ignoring.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Well, but exactly what is this new scheme? Does anybody know?