28 - 27 Final !!!!!!!! GT BEATS UGA Postgame Comments

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I may have missed it but who came out of the pile with the football after Qua's score? The uga players don't look in position to have gotten control of it. Im still scratching my head why they reviewed it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
1- they review every close TD play.
2- 7 players must be be on the LOS. Described as their helmet must be at least on the center line of the snapper's belt.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I may have missed it but who came out of the pile with the football after Qua's score? The uga players don't look in position to have gotten control of it. Im still scratching my head why they reviewed it.

Searcy recovered his own fumble. I think they reviewed it because he did indeed lose the ball during the play. There wasn't sufficient evidence to overturn the original call so the play stood.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks! Yah it was a kind of funny review in my mind. He retained possession in the endzone and he clearly wasn't down till his elbow hit but the ball was across the goal line already.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Thanks! Yah it was a kind of funny review in my mind. He retained possession in the endzone and he clearly wasn't down till his elbow hit but the ball was across the goal line already.

It was odd because I think if it was determined he lost the ball prior to breaking the plane, I have no idea what the next step would've been. He recovered it but can they review who recovered a fumble in that instance? I have a feeling it would've been some weird touchback with the ball being awarded to uGA.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don’t think you can advance your own fumble if he did indeed fumble before crossing the goal line then the play would be dead where he lost the ball. This could just be an NFL rule though or I may not have a clue what I’m talking about but I’m pretty sure it’s a rule.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think you can advance your own fumble if he did indeed fumble before crossing the goal line then the play would be dead where he lost the ball. This could just be an NFL rule though or I may not have a clue what I’m talking about but I’m pretty sure it’s a rule.

NFL RULE: http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/fumble "
  1. A fumble may be advanced by any player on either team regardless of whether recovered before or after ball hits the ground.
  2. A fumble that goes forward and out of bounds will return to the fumbling team at the spot of the fumble unless the ball goes out of bounds in the opponent’s end zone. In this case, it is a touchback.
  3. On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time."
College: "
  1. Before a change of possession on a try or on 4th down, if a Team A fumble is caught or recovered by a Team A player other than the fumbler, the ball is dead. If that occurs beyond the spot of the fumble, the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble. If it is behind the spot of the fumble, the ball remains at the spot of the catch or recovery
  2. When a fumble goes OB in advance of the fumble, the ball is returned to that spot and the clock is started on the ready (any time during the game). If the fumble goes OB behind the spot, it shall be placed at the corresponding inbounds line and the clock will start on the ready unless there are fewer than 2 minutes remaining in the 2nd or 4th quarters"

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It was odd because I think if it was determined he lost the ball prior to breaking the plane, I have no idea what the next step would've been. He recovered it but can they review who recovered a fumble in that instance? I have a feeling it would've been some weird touchback with the ball being awarded to uGA.

Without a clear recovery, call would stand. Funny enough, this is analogous to JT's goal line "fumble" in 2014. Replay showed him being down but couldn't say where and whether he crossed the plane. So either stopped short or touchdown, but not definitively either. The call remained fumble/touchdown because, although replay confirmed that the call on the field was wrong, it couldn't conclusively prove what the right call should have been.

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's the screen cap:

bogus%20call_zpsq0fo73dq.png

If our guards and tackles are considered on the LOS, then so should JT. He's even with them.

In that case we had 8 on the LOS. My calculus is rusty but I think 8>7. ;)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If the LOS is the line made by the placement of the ball, then technically we only have one guy on the LOS, the center. The guards and tackles are a step off the LOS.

But getting back to your point, the Aback we brought up was even with the other 4 linemen (not including the center). He didn't have a hand on the ground, but his feet were even. Oh well.... we won anyway.

In our day rule of thumb was any part of the other 6 players (other than the C) should be even or ahead of the centers waist to be legit on the LOS.